“Very Disappointed”

Ranked #5 of 107 Hotels in Ao Nang
Sydney, Australia
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I choose this hotel purely on Tripadvisor reviews and the fact that other friends were just down the road at another cheaper hotel. (They didn't have rooms available). So I arrive at this hotel. Drag my bags up the steep steps to reception whilst the bell boy stairs into space doing his best to ignore me. I'm then shown to my room in Block 4. Escorted by another receptionist who doesn't offer to help with my bags... down another steep set of stairs, up ramps, around ponds and pools to finally arrive at the room on ground level with pool access. A very ordinary room, nothing special, apart from the shower over the bath which was a death trap. High wide ledge around the bath made it extremely difficult getting in and out. I know you don’t go to Krabi to watch TV, But I like at the end of the day to lay on the bed and watch a movie, or catch up on the news. Well don’t expect to do that here unless you speak Chinese, Russian or Japanese. There are no movie channels or English news services on the TV. Now I did notice that the "kids club" was in front of Block 1 so was happy to be away in block 4. Imagine my delight when every afternoon the 20 or so kids decided to swim in front of Block 4. They screamed their heads off for 3 hours every afternoon. There was some sort of group staying in the hotel, which seemed to take up all the staffs’ time, so there was little to no chance of getting any service. This was particularly apparent at breakfast the following morning. When we arrived the restaurant was nearly empty but there was not one cleaned table. The buffet looked like it had been through a war and what was left on the buffet looked like it had been there since the hotel was built. The staff were not doing anything, one was eating another was playing with someone’s child, and another one just disappeared when we tried to call them over to set the table. We didn't attempt breakfast again during our stay. I noticed that the laundry was quite cheap to do and they also offered a 30% discount so I put my laundry in. It came back folded and smelling like it had been washed, but I'm actually convinced it wasn't. The food I'd sloped down the fronts of a couple of my shirts was still there. I arranged a transfer to the airport on my last night before leaving, and at check-out the following morning was not really surprised to find that one not been arranged, nor had the laundry been charged to my room. So I sat nervously while they quickly arranged transport and I was relieved to be in the van and away from there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

4 Thank Aussieross
Teerasak K, Rooms Division Manager at Deevana Plaza Krabi Aonang, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Aussieross,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Krabi Deevana. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations about our service during your stay; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kl-ite in Malaysia
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just a perfect place for a short weekend getaway. Incredible value for money - we paid RM130 (part of Accor deal) for a superior room. Stayed 3 days 2 nights. Hotel is situated about 10 mins walk to main street facing Aonang Beach but is secluded enough as nice quiet getaway from it all. Staff were friendly as would be expected from Thai hospitality. Our room was just nice, with right amenities - body lotion, shower gel, shampoo, shower cap. We asked for toothbrush kits which was not included in our package at the front desk and these were already in our room when we arrived. Nice. There were nice clean Yukata's - handy for going to their in-house massage as well. The basket-bag with two towels for beach or pool use was very thoughtful. No slippers for superior room though. Pool was lovely, hotel is nicely designed. We had happy hour cocktails at 1 for 1 at Baht 190 only. Perfect for an evening lounging by the pool! Free shuttle at regular intervals for drop off at beach front. Free wifi in room. The fairy lighting in part of the pool at night was magical. The staff manning the spa frontdesk could improve though - hardly a smile as she went through the motions. The spa could be better laid out. Food can be found easily near hotel - from high end grills to road stalls to get your pad thai fix, to good and cheap thai seafood at E-San. Italian and other western fares are easily available. Tuk tuk readily available everywhere but we preferred to stroll leisurely.

Room Tip: If you would like to jump straight into pool, opt for deluxe rooms. We preferred more privacy so opt...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suetz
Teerasak K, Rooms Division Manager at Deevana Plaza Krabi Aonang, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear suetz,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Krabi Deevana. It is always a pleasure to receive positive & negative feedback.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 4 nights for my business trip.
The hotel staff was SO NICE!!!
Staffs are all nice and very good service.
Room and breakfast is simple but quite good in function

Pool look cool but so sad that I had no time to use.

From the hotel you can walk to market which open until the late at night. However, it's not local market but traveler market, price is obviously expensive, even local convenient store sell things at over price here.

What I want to complain about this hotel is the bidet hose is on the left side which make it can't be used properly.

towel in the room --- I found that if you want the hotel to change, you have to trow it on to the bed. If you beautifully hang in the wardrobe or in the bathroom it will stay like that. I don't have any problem with that but think that it will be better if there any sign telling me how to do.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear JiBi_AI,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Krabi Deevana. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations about the bathroom amenities procedure and facility; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed for three nights at the end of July 2013 and out of all the hotels we stayed in all over Thailand, it was the best value for money. I believe we paid roughly $50 - $60 for our 'superior' room.

When we first arrived at the hotel we were given a tour of the facilities (I believe there was a jacuzzi we never got time to visit... hmm) and a tour of our room. This was the first hotel I've been to that did this and I thought it was nice.

The best part of the hotel is how CLEAN it is, from the lobby to the rooms everything appears quite sanitary so we enjoyed that. The hallways are far from the most beautiful sight in the world (it's all concrete) but it's practical and I suppose it prevents lots of sand and other things from being carried into the rooms. The bathroom in the room itself was big, with a rain shower and ample space to put your things on around the sink. It also has a hairdryer. A straw bag and towels for the beach are provided in the rooms which I thought was a nice touch. The TV channels were a bit lacking (MTV worked for one day... then stopped and there's no movie channels) but there was a balcony, bathrobes and a safe (free). Two bottles of water were also provided in the room. The bed wasn't too hard and the pillows were fluffy and soft.

The food (room service and at their restaurant) is reasonably priced for hotel food. It reflected the average price of food on the streets in Phuket (so about $6 - 10 for most things). We ate at the restaurant one night. The buffet wasn't very popular, but there were a couple of families dining in the restaurant. The food was decent and they have some western options too. We never had breakfast there but it seemed quite popular (400 baht if it's not included in your room price).

I tried the spa at the hotel and while it didn't seem very popular when I glanced at their reservation book, the facial I had there was nice (better than the stuff you get on the streets as you can imagine) and only 480 baht as they had a 40% discount at the time.

The hotel also offers a free shuttle service to Ao Nang beach which we never took because it comes at pretty inconvenient times, only 4 times a day. It's not a far walk for those who don't mind walking, only taking us about 20mins to reach the main strip. The hotel pool also looked really good but we were so busy doing other stuff we never had a chance to go. There are also places a short walk away that will do your laundry for 35 - 40 baht/kg without ironing.

I have to say that the place is much nicer than what we were expecting from the pictures on the internet. Overall it was really good and if we ever find ourselves in the Ao Nang area again we'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jessica F
Dear Jessica F,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Krabi Deevana. It is always a pleasure to receive positive and nagative feedback.

Nowra, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed for 6 nights in inter-connecting rooms with the 2 kids.Had great a time food was very good, cocktails at the poolbar were exellent. The staff were very nice and nothing was ever a problem.It was nice to be in the quiet part of Krabi with a short tuk tuk ride back to town.Would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank eddiec1970
Teerasak K, Rooms Division Manager at Deevana Plaza Krabi Aonang, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear eddiec1970,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Krabi Deevana. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Was there for the business cum leisure meeting and I must say this is almost like my home away from home. Nestled in a quiet surrounding at the end of the Ao Nang Road, means I would not be awaken by the passing vehicles from tuk tuk to taxi. The quieter beach is just 5 minutes away (my fast pace walking speed), passing rows of other thai owned hotels towards the mainroad.

I was on a deluxe wing but I notice that rooms of all categories are equipped with the balcony facing the interior garden of the hotel. it has a children's pool which is in front of the small but efficent gym, a few wading pool, and one pool on the deluxe wings(building 3) that has littering LED lightings under the pool. Awesome indeed! I have never see a pool with LED tube lights in any of my 20 odd years of traveling worldwide.

The room size is good and I have sufficient place for my two luggages, and a day bed to lounge on. Air conditions work every well, and toiletry amenities and coffee and tea sachets are efficient and can request for more. The down side was that there's no other choice of pillow other than those provided but the hotel was happy to provide more pillows as I prefer contour pillows, if available. Room was spotless everyday during my three nights stay.

All Staff are eager to assist within their capacity, with a sincere smile and always expect a good eye contact. Commands of English are sufficient for general guests enquiry about sights and sounds of Krabi.

Didn't get to try the hotel food and hence I have no comment on this category.

The hotel wall was rather thin but every guests behaved themselves. I only heard of the closing of the door and the opening of the showering tap.

Everyone deserved to be a star or employee of the month . I would like to thank especially one staff who asked the hotel driver to take me to Burger King and get my meal and had the limo waiting for me . I just wanted a quick bite after my 14 hours flight to Krabi.

Thank you very much for showing your country's superb hospitality.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank inxpekto
Dear inxpekto,

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Especially, the staff who you are looking for to thank him/her as we will let them know accordingly.

Little elm
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Pretty resort, set In a location still being developed. Easy access to restaurants, shopping for stuff you don't need but feel you must buy. Gorgeous rooms with private pool entrances. Big conference just getting underway when we were leaving. Glad we stayed early inn the week. Food good, breakfast buffet easy.

Room Tip: Stay on pool level.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family