“Great Hotel But Not A Good Location”

Deevana Plaza Krabi Aonang
Ranked #6 of 109 Hotels in Ao Nang
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed in Mercure for 3 nights with my family. Hotel is nice & cozy, room is fantastic and spacious. What I like the most is the facilities of the hotel. Bathrobes, hairdryer, umbrellas, basket, swimming towels are provided without needed to ask. Cloth racks are everywhere i.e. at balcony, wardrobe and toilet. This is important to me when I travel to beach/island as I need to wash and hang my wet clothes very often. I can wash and hang my clothes without needed to go for laundry, although laundry service is cheap which cost around 40baths (outside the hotel).

Restaurant - Unless u are tired and lazy to go out. Dining in the hotel is the last choice you should go for. The food is average and pricey. However, I must give a big credit to the Assistant F&B Manager in Mercure, Mr. Boonlert. He has given us a fantastic time during our stay. His hospitality, sincerity and charming smile has warm our heart. My kids like him so much. He was the only reason why we dine-in (after a good chat and seeing his sweet smile). You did a good job and Thank you Mr. Boonlert !!

Location - Let me tell you my experience. Yes, 15mins to AoNang beach. But please bear in mind, I mean it is the beginning/last (whichever u consider) of the AoNang beach. To walk to the main AoNang beach, please add another 25mins. With the super hot & sunny weather, even a 5mins walk can kill you. It is very inconvenient for us. Although hotel does provide free shuttle, it was only 4 times a day (one way only). And the timing also very awkward. If Im not mistaken, it was 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 8pm. Without much choice, we had to take a TukTuk. 20baths per person at least. We were a group of 6 family members, 4 adults and 2 young children. And every time we take a TukTuk, it costs us around 100-120baths which I think it is a waste of money. If we stayed at the center of AoNang Beach, we could easily save at least 400-500baths without any hassle and trouble.

Food - Please... I repeat... Please DO NOT buy any grocery at the shops along outside the hotel. They are all money suckers. We bought a bread at the nearby store which was 120baths. And when we checked the price at the 7-11 in AoNang, it was only 39baths. Same bread! Mineral Water for example, you can get it in town for only 12baths. But they were selling 20baths. Foot Massage, at AoNang beach 200baths per hour, but there 250baths. The only good thing I can say is the hawker stalls outside (5mins walk) the main road. They sells many yummy local foods i.e. BBQ chicken, crispy coconut dessert etc etc, which you should not miss!

Service - Good thumb up to Mr. Boonlert and one of the receptionist, if Im not mistaken, Ms. Pratnam. She helped me to arrange a birthday surprise to my hubby. A nice & yummy cake and a lovely flower arrangement were prepared to my hubby complimentary. It was a lovely gesture from the hotel to its valued guests. We appreciated it a lot.

Note: Transportation to hotel. Unless you don't mind paying 800-100baths. You can save your money by taking the white bus service from the airport. Only 60baths per person. Going to airport from hotel, you can look for a travel agent booth outside the hotel (about 4mins walk). They charge only 600baths for a Van to airport.

Till then, hope my info helps and enjoy yr trip in Krabi.

Room Tip: Stay away lower floor or room near the swimming pool. Unless noise and privacy are not your concern.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Teerasak K, Rooms Division Manager at Deevana Plaza Krabi Aonang, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Dear eunice2005,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Krabi Deevana. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback, especially the compliment to K.Boonlert our Assistant F&B Manager & K.Pratum-Snr GSA.

Yours sincerely,
Teerasak Kanchanachongkol
Rooms Division Manager

There are newer reviews for Deevana Plaza Krabi Aonang

Reviewed April 16, 2013

being an avid reader of tripadvisor reviews, I followed the mercure hotel reviews in the months leading up to my holiday. I found them mostly favourable. We stayed for 10 nights. On arrival check in was terrible, got us mixed up with other party and ended up spending over an hour just getting rooms. had emailed 5 times to request rooms in block 4, ended up with block 2, pool access right opposite restaurant, where you are wakened up at 6am with restaurant music. We got room in block 4 next day. Pool access rooms were small and the shower over the bath was a let down. The design of the hotel means that the pool access rooms get no sun on the outside sitting area. Getting served at the poolside bar during happy hour was a bit of a lottery. I found some staff very helpful but some not so helpful, staff training could be much better. Breakfast was ok but a bit overpriced. only ate in hotel onec at night, barbeque night, very poor. The free internet is a nightmare, as you have to continually put in password on your phone, as it did not remember it. After the initial hassle of checking in and other points raised we did have a good time in Krabi. the hotel was clean. I would not stay in this hotel again as I felt it did not represent value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear audrey s,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Krabi Deevana. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations since your arrival about check-in, also the room; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Yours sincerely,
Teerasak Kanchanachongkol
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here for 1 week during the Easter holiday with my family of 3 children (aged 4, 3 and 6 months). We booked a family room with a bunk bed, living area and king bed whilst a sale was on earlier this year. The room was great for my family needs and was huge compared to most rooms we have stayed in in the past. The separate kids area was great. The room was ok but could have been improved with a bath as it only had a shower. Was clean and well maintained. You can tell it is quite new. However, due to the layout of the hotel and our location in block 4 we had a long walk to the room from the pool or the entrance. The hotel is down a 'back street' about a 10/15 minute walk from Ao Nang beach. I had no issue with the location and was nice that there were a few shops down the street where we could pick up drinks and snacks. I was not impressed by the breakfast at the hotel and felt it was poor value for money at 400 baht per person. You had to ask for bacon!!?!? We only had dinner in the hotel once and this was ok but not the cheapest. The pool in the hotel was good and suitable for small children. Staff were friendly but it was clear they needed more training in customer service. One thing I could not understand was how to get towels replaced every day. The towel exchange service needs revising as it was unclear.
Overall a very good value hotel that catered well for the holiday we had planned (i.e. lots of tours and not much time spent in the hotel). I would have preferred to be closer to the beach but for the cost of this hotel you could not expect it. I would recommend the hotels for families who are staying in this area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank anafonitria
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here for three nights. Can't really complain about anything as I picked it up on wotif mystery hotel for a good price. I am not a lover of big hotels and as it was Songkran the hotel was pretty well packed. The kids had a great time in the pool which runs around between the two blocks of rooms. Not very private for those staying in the pool access rooms. We had a superior room on second floor in number three building which was new and modern. We had a balcony which overlooked the pool. Soundproofing in rooms was not good as next doors TV was blasting away early in the morning. Did not eat breakfast as the price was extortion. Instead ate a great breakfast at the Swiss Chalet around the corner. Oh and also rented a bike there 250THB per day.
Staff were excellent. Overall a typical Mercure stay.

Room Tip: Pool access rooms are not very private with people swimming straight in front of you.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank astra
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and as it was a short stay we booked just a standard room which was good value. The hotel is located a short 10 min walk from the main shopping street and restaurants on the beach front. There are always tuk tuks waiting outside the hotel if you don't feel like walking and they charge 100 baht a trip.
We arrived at the hotel and check in was very busy but we got a room key in about 25 mins. A staff member helped us with luggage and the trek to he room helped us realize that the layout of he hotel is very dysfunctional and everywhere feels cramped in. We had to walk through 2 buildings, use 2 elevators and walk long hallways until we reached our room. The room was awesome, lovely king bed, linens, nice modern bathroom and decor and a balcony overlooking one of the "long" pools. The pools run along the base of the various room blocks and the ground level rooms have pool access.the pools though are shallow and narrow and long and with so many rooms overlooking at close quarters the pool is not a relaxing experience. There is a pool bar that has a good happy hour but during our stay we it was over run with children that were unsupervised and it was very noisy. Overall the hotel is in a good location, is good value for money but the layout of the hotel means a lot of walking for people in the far rooms and the pools can get noisy and overcrowded. If you are a family travelling with kids however this hotel would be a great choice. Would we stay here again - not personally as there are other hotels nearby better suited for a quieter stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks March 2013, on our way to visit family in Melbourne and were very pleased with our accommodation and hotel amenities. Checking in was very quick with very pleasant staff. Were given a lovely quiet room overlooking the swimming pool, which had everything we wanted for a pleasant stay. We had breakfasts included and there was an excellent selection of Western and Asian food, salads, fresh fruit and lovely fresh bread, rolls and cakes. - everything we wanted! We spent a fair bit of time in the swimming pool and really enjoyed its amenities, including the large jacuzzi. There were plenty of comfortable sun-loungers and parasols and easy access into the pool and it was great for swimming good lengths. The distance to the beaches, shops and restaurants, is within walking distance, although its very cheap to take a tuk tuk, which are usually waiting outside the hotel! We will definitely stay at the Mercure Krabi Deevana again, if we visit Krabi again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the top floor in Block 4 and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed at the Mercure Krabi for 6 nights in a Deluxe Pool Access room and enjoyed my stay to the hilt! I had pre-booked from India and the hotel was happy to provide me with a package including complementary bfast at rates similar to ones I could find on Agoda/ TA.

The room was spacious and nice with a private access to the pool running next to it. The pool isn't much for swimming since its not very large but ideal for sunbathing with small jacuzzi like enclaves.

The breakfast at the Kingfisher restaurant was great with a good spread of continental cuisines. We tried the room service as well and were pleasantly surprised since the portions were good and value for money. The hotel is quite close to the Ao Nang beach - 10-15 mins walking and 2-3 mins by scooter. The hotel also helped us procure scooters and bicycles as per our requirement and helped arrange a visit to Phi Phi islands.

Finally, since we were traveling in off peak season we enjoyed a 50% off at the Hotel spa which was again great!! All in all an awesome experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the Kingfisher restaurant and the poolside bar to enjoy more privacy, also t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple