“Adequate hotel, let down by Ao nang”

Deevana Plaza Krabi Aonang
Ranked #5 of 108 Hotels in Ao Nang
Newport, United Kingdom
“Adequate hotel, let down by Ao nang”
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

I spent 2 nights here in November before flying back up to Bangkok. When I was researching hotels in the Ao nang, Railay, Krabi area I couldn't really find anything that had great reviews or location in my budget, so I ended up spending a bit more and staying at the Mercure Deevana.

The hotel is very new and modern, I stayed in a ground floor room with a little balcony/terrace facing one of the pools and the room was more than adequate.

I swum in the pool once during my stay, though I'm not sure why the pool/garden layout was designed as it is, as it just seems a bit odd. Because of the height of the buildings on both sides of the pool, the ground level didn't see much sun during the day. Also there were only a handful of sunloungers which did not seem enough. Because the pool was long and narrow there was only enough room for a couple of swimmers to do lengths at any one time and anywhere else you stood in the pool kind of got in others' way!

Based on recent crime and a general feeling, I didn't feel safe as a solo female traveller leaving the hotel area after dark, so I ordered room service both nights. The food was fairly decent and a good price.

Finally, when checking out even though I was the only guest in reception it seemed to take forever for the staff to process my final bill and check the room etc. I asked for a taxi to be called to take me to Krabi airport, but as the process took so long and the wait for the taxi even longer even though staff kept promising it was on its way, I ended up jumping in a taxi with some other guests - sorry!

On the whole, the hotel was adequate, though I felt let down by the Ao nang area as a whole, there are far nicer beaches nearby in Thailand that I would skip here if I visited again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jackie M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Good location and building layout , but very limited service standards all restaurant and room service shuts by 11pm , housing keeping is rather poor , it's not a luxury hotel for sure .
The breakfast quality is also very basic .

2 Thank Anurag327
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We chose the Mercure Krabi after reading the positive reviews on Trip advisor and were not dissapointed! The check in was quick and painless, they have a TV screen in reception with all the names of the guests checking in with a welcome message which was a nice touch - we upgraded to a deluxe room with pool access and it was worth it! The room was lovely - well kitted out with everything you could need including an iron and hair dryer and TV with a DVD player for those early movie nights when you've had too much sun. There was a beach bag in the room with 2 beach towels which was perfect for our beach days. Each day they provide 2 bottles of water in the room which is a nice extra. The Wifi is free, fast and accessible throughout the hotel, it does tend to throw you out alot though so can be a bit annoying. Me and the hubby used the gym a few days - it's pretty small with 2 running machines, a cross trainer, a bike, a funky weights machine, some loose weights and medicine ball. We had everything we needed but you may have to wait a while to get on the equipment if there are a few peeps in there.
The first day we tried to book into the hotel spa but they were fully booked for the first 2 days ( we did go in high season and the had some great offers on so not surprising) The staff were great and recommended us an award winning spa about 10 minutes away which I loved and the treatments were fab. The hotel staff will show you the web-site and will book for you if you tell them what treatments you want and then a complimentary spa vehicle will pick you up and drop you back to the hotel.
The breakfast buffet is pretty standard - they will cook you eggs of your choice and the pastry selection is pretty good. We had lunch there a couple of times - the service is OK and the food took a while to arrive - what's annoying is they just bring dishes out when they're ready so my husband got his food and then literally 20 minutes later way after he'd eaten - I got mine. There was a family on the table next to us who had a similar thing happen and one of them gave the manager a right earful for it...but it seems to be a common thing. Alot of the waitresses/waiters don't speak Englidh too well so not always easy to explain what you need/want - but the food was good :)

The location of the hotel is great - about a 5 minute walk to the start of the main road in Ao Nang that has all the shops and restaraunts - we walked most times but you can get a tuktuk for 20 baht per person if you want and they will drop you anywhere in the centre.
We ate at quite a few places (based on ratings on trip advisor) and one of my favourite places was Krua Thara about 10 mins in a tuk tuk from the hotel. The food was really delicious and though a little expensive for Krabi - well worth the money. We tried quite a few of the hightest rated restaraunts and I wasn't too impressed with any of the others - my 2nd fav place was the street cafe just behind the first row of shops on the left - delicious food and very cheap considering how good it tasted - the chicken red curry with coconut was to die for! There's also a little pancake stall at the end of the hotel road which does yummy banana and chocolate pancakes for 40 Bht.

Krabi itself is lovely - i'd describe it as rustic, small and friendly with a great atmosphere. The beaches were nice - no sunbeds though which at first I was a bit dissapointed with - but really I grew to like the simplicity of the place. If you walked to the left hand side of the beach there were little monkeys everywhere playing and entertaining all the tourists - I loved that. The shops are cheap and the people friendly, ready for some light bartering :)

We did a trip to the 4 Islands from Krabi (and then to the stunning Similan Islands from Phuket the following week) - the 4 Islands were great to see and we did some snorkelling whilst there which was nice - Tub Island was really pretty. We booked through one of the many trip stalls lining the main street and got a small discount so do ask. Another time we got a long tail boat to and from Railay Beach.

One final thing - we booked a car via the hotel to pick us up from the airport - after waiting at the airport for 15 minutes they didn;t show so we got a taxi - but they DID show - they were just waiting at International arrivals when we had actually come from Bangkok after staying a few days there so were waiting in domestic arrivals. If you book the car through the hotel make sure you let them know if its a domestic or international arrival (BTW if you come via Bangkok only having a change of plane and not going through immigration - your an International arrival, your only a domestic arrival if you actually stay in Bangkok and go through immigration in Bangkok)

7 Thank Philiariaz
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is a well-kept hotel located away from the town centre but a mere 40 Baht 5 min tuktuk ride away. We originally planned to spend 2 nights there, ended up extending 1 night before heading to Phi Phi island. We stayed on the 4th floor of building 4 (far end of the pool away from kiddy swimming area) which was pretty quiet, well soundproofed rooms and a spacious balcony with good amount of sunshine from morning onwards. (The only time we had problems with noisy neighbours was during a conference when a group were celebrating on their balcony).
The room itself did not look like the typical business hotel room to our pleasant surprise. It was however very tastefully decorated, with space enough to spread out without banging your shins on the corner of a bed trying to get from one side of the room to another. The bathroom was a good size for 2 with functioning facilities and a shower with good water pressure. Housekeeping visiting twice a day kept the room in top shape but I did get the impression they were a bit tight with the toiletry supplies (i.e.1 tube of shower gel for 2 guests). Good free wifi connection also worked at the pool side. The poolside bar was good in that Happy Hour started sometime in the afternoon and continued till 5pm or so. Good range of watered-down cocktails. Bar service not particularly noteworthy.

Gym facility was small but all right, clean and modern equipment. At times AC wasn`t on so you`d come out drenched.
Hotel restaurant: varied menus on offer depending on day of week - no complaints with the food except that wine was particularly expensive.

Certain front desk staff and almost all restaurant staff showed great customer service. Twice we caught staff off-guard though chatting in back room– didn`t sound quite like a meeting. No one was staffing the entire eating area and no one staffing the entire front desk area.
My main beef with this hotel was the apparent lack of communication at the front desk. After extending a night and having room keys updated, we were still called twice by front desk to remind us we were due to leave, our key still didn`t work after having been updated, our updated wifi codes didn`t work. This was annoying in the extreme as you have to traipse a good 5 mins to get from building 4 to front desk to get this kind of stuff sorted out (over the phone in English was a bit problematic), and then there were 4-5 odd desk staff floating around – you didn`t know who you`d spoken to.
Excepting these issues it was an overall pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Building 4 would probably be the quietest of the lot.
1 Thank Christa B
Bangkok
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We arrived 7.30pm so with so few people around, check in should have been a doddle. It took 30 minutes. With 2 tired kids, 3 and 6 years old just wanting to flake out in the room it was unacceptable. No welcome drink also. For a long term Accor member, I should have been given member service. Since I spent thousands of dollars on stays in Accor group hotels I also had discount vouchers and wanted to let the staff know that I intended to use them for this check in but they advised me that it is time consuming to cash them so better to do it on check out. The rest of the stay was ok, breakfast was poor but on check out I was told I could not use my voucher as it was the new year and...blah blah blah solly sir. Sorry, but go to hell Mercure Krabi, I don't wanna hear your excuses.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank nickvegas
Teerasak K, Rooms Division Manager at Deevana Plaza Krabi Aonang, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Krabi Deevana. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Teerasak Kanchanachongkol
Rooms Division Manager
Mercure Krabi Deevana
Kuala Lumpur

Location: Roughly 30-35 minutes by taxi/car from Krabi international airport
Hotel is located deep in a quiet environment but is well lit at night; making walking accessible and tuk-tuks are everywhere. 20 BHT to get you from the hotel to ao nang beach. Walking to the beach would take you at least 15 minutes.
Hotel is relatively new and opened just over a year back.
Shops for basic amenities - water, sunscreen, milk, coffee and even laundry are just a short walk outside the hotel.
Check in was smooth and prompt.

Room: Facilities matched for a resort hotel with 2 swimming pool for adults, 2 for kids, gym, kid's play area, jacuzzi. Room are clean with comfortable pillows (you need to ask if you need more than one pillow), safe, umbrella, beach towels + basket (for those who plan to venture out), wifi in rooms, free glass-bottled water daily (make sure you leave them empty glass bottle in the room once you consume them - if not they will charge you!), TV with 60+ channels.

Food is available once you take a walk to the main road (left side) - about 10 minutes. Lots of local hawker stalls available - which are up by late morning till late evening. If not take a tuk tuk to town. There is a free shuttle bus from the hotel which drops you off at starbucks at the main street of ao nang.
There is only one restaurant in the hotel and they serve meals all day round. Breakfast was standard and serve a gourmet of local and international dishes.

Service: Excellent and they make an effort to improve your comfort of stay in your hotel. English speaking and attends to needs quickly.

Swan Spa: Excellent, however book early as they have only limited places available

This hotel is really ideal if you're looking for something quite to relax and away from the nightlife of Krabi...

Room Tip: The corner room offers you a much larger room for the same price, though you don't have any view...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family