“The Longtail Four Island Tour is Awful!”
Review of Barracudas Tour

Barracudas Tour
Ranked #45 of 48 Tours in Ao Nang
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I wanted to snorkel and maybe that was the problem. The tour didn't cost that much (450 baht), but the only snorkeling was in an area filled with other boats, murky water and fish that had been fed so much that they literally were nibbling on me when I got in the water. I think this is aimed at people who have never snorkeled before. The food provided was not enough for the number of people and they ran out. Each island, while beautiful, was on the same itinerary as our boat and super crowded. Don't bother with this, even if your hotel offers it free. In my opinion, it's a waste of time in a place that is so filled with great things to do.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

In this part of the world you always have to remember that the ubiquitous "health and safety" rules which have become such a prominent part of Western lifestyles simply don't exist. Similarly, the Thais are practical people but very laid back. Things sometimes go wrong, things sometimes take a little time. If you bear all this in mind and go with an open mind, then whatever happens you should have a good time. We had an excellent time on our one Barracuda Tour to Hong Island from Ao Nang. Yes, the long boat was a bit cramped with people, no there weren't enough life jackets to go around, yes the roof was so low that everyone kept banging their head on it - but so what. The two crew members were cheerful and jovial, always cracking jokes. We were offered pieces of fruit every now and then and iced water, And the trip itself delivered exactly "what it said on the tin". Two half hour stops at beautiful little islands to have a paddle or a snorkel. Then to Hong Island for a lunch. A very simple lunch, but delicious and healthy nevertheless. Even managed to buy a can of beer to wash it down with from a local shack. Weather was superb, water calm, scenery breathtaking, the sea crystal turquoise clear. Far too many tourists everywhere, but that's the downside if you go to a relatively cheap area of the world. All-in-all it was a well organised tour, quite a bit of being told what to do in the first instance as numerous trucks were constantly off-loading hotel guests who were going on various different trips and all had to be organised into specific groups. But if you're told to sit down, then just do so and lap up the sun and relax for 20 minutes, it'll all work out fine in the end. Just don't expect to get any special treatment because you might have paid a bit more than someone else. Yes, Barracudas gave us a fabulous day out to see other small islands and the mainland itself from a distance was worth the view. Made a change from simply lolling around on the beach. No complaints at all. One tip: Prices seem to be fixed for each tour wherever you buy the tickets but they are not. The lady in the tourist booth opposite our hotel offered these tickets with face value of 1,000 Baht each for the two of us for 1200 Bahts for both. Didn't even ask her for a discount. the difference was enough to pay for our dinner that evening. For a change of routine in our relaxing holiday, Barracuda provided exactly what we had been looking for and I will certainly try them again when next in that part of the world.

2  Thank DavidBCambridgeUK
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Great trip, we booked it to see the four islands and enjoyed the snorkelling mostly!

We did all the best bits first though and Phi Phi Don was last and by far the worst. Lunch wasn't that good but we didn't go for the food. We did get fresh water melon, cake on board however.

If you don't like boats (like myself) sit at the back and it isn't bumpy.

We paid 1200 bht which seemed like such a bargain compared to the front kiosk at Ao Nang who wanted to charge 6000 bht, you get what you pay for. If you are visiting the islands on a short holiday like us it ticked the boxes. If I was here longer, I'd want to spend more time at each place.

Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start? My wife and I tried to book a longtail boat trip, but unfortunately they were fully booked. I thought this must be a decent company as there brochures looked fairly professional and they were busy, so we decided to pay an extra 800 baht each for the speed boat trip instead.

We were picked up from our hotel on a fully packed van which was turned into a taxi and dropped off at Ao Nang. From there we handed over our receipts and received stickers in return. The next minute we were moved to one side, stickers quickly removed and pushed onto another bus with another couple and sped off. We were dropped further along the road and told to get on another companies boat, as Barracudas Tours were fully booked! At this point our blood was beginning to boil. The organiser said we can either get on this boat or go back with no refund! We wanted to really do this trip so decided to go on the boat. The tour guide met us with shouting about how we were late and holding his tour up!

The tour itself was great and at the end we were dropped off back at Ao Nang and were promised that they would get us back to Krabi Town. There were no spaces for us on the taxi bus, so we were made to wait for 40 mins. When the taxi finally return, we were taken to the tour companies head office in Ao Nang and told to get off. We were then pushed onto another taxi bus, with a driver who didn't speak English and had never heard of our guesthouse! He decided to slowly drive back along the way we came and told us he needed to find a further 8 passengers to make his trip to Krabi Town worth while. We were enraged and told him to take us to out guesthouse ASAP. His response was pretty much "get another taxi if you're not happy"! We drove slowly along the Main Street for 30 mins were he picked up another 3 guests and decided to head to Krabi Town. Here he dumped us in the Main Street and told us to get our here. We said that our package included hotel drop off and he all but laughed in our face!

Most of our experiences today were through other companies rather than Barracudas Tour, but Barracudas took are money and left us our to dry! Please do not give this company anymore money! Just because we're western AND tourists, doesn't mean we're rich and you can treat us like dirt!!

3  Thank MRW80