“good value, but the guide could be more friendly.”
Review of Barracudas Tour

Barracudas Tour
Ranked #45 of 50 Tours in Ao Nang
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I booked the 4 island tour in a long boat, at a great value of 400B(with lunch box included). They came and pick us up in Krabi town to the arranged time in a van. After 40 minutes we where in Ao Nang to depart with all the other people of the tour. I prearranged to have vegetarian meals a day in advance, so when I was in the office double checked that my veggie meals was going to be there; "yes, no problem" i was told. So after 15 minutes of waiting to organize ALL the amount of people to the different tour we left in the long boat. The boat had about 50-60 people in it, slightly crowded, but at a backpacker price who cares? We went to all the islands and OMG the places are amazing! all was going well until we arrived to the lunch destination: my veggie lunch wasn't on the boat. The guide a bit annoyed by that asked me 3 times if I pre-booked my meal and called the office to make sure I was saying the truth. So he told me my lunch is coming in the next boat, so I walk around for about 20 minutes until my lunch arrived. The lunch was good and they give you a very cold water bottle(witch with that hot weather is blessing!). All the stops are a bit short to explore the island (one hour or less), but is worth it. then the snorkeling spot is full of fishes and corals to see. I got sad when they throw the anchor into the pristine coral reef! IS THAT LEGAL?! This is such a fragile environment!
Then I remembered I left my flip flops in the boat just before I jumped into the water for snorkeling, when I was back my flip flops were gone! i asked kindly to the guide if he seen them, but he said rudely "you lost your things? is not my problem, don't blame me"....Heeeeey calm down! i was just asking if he seen them, that's all.Then the tour finished at the stipulated time and we got the transfer back to the hotel. Yes I was bare feet and I had to buy new jandals....

1  Thank Carla_M86

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We took the Hong Island day tour. This would be a good starter tour to get a feel of the Islands and if you enjoy Thai organized tours. Overall this tour is a good value, considering all of the stops you make. The tour was an hour late leaving Ao Nang, the boat was full, the tour guide was average and the lunch was basic… just keep in mind you are there for the nature, sightseeing and perhaps not a 5 star luxury experience.

The sights were breathtaking, the snorkeling was really good and the equipment best in the best condition we have seen in 5 months of traveling SE Asia. They also provided bottles of cold water, which was a nice touch.

The only negatives would be, that because there are so many stops, with the required travel time, you don’t get enough time at each of the destination points. For our travel style, we would have preferred to go to fewer stops and stay longer at the good ones.

Overall they delivered on everything they said they would provide as part of the tour. We had a great day.

3  Thank fancytravelreviews
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We have taken 2 tours with Barracudas staying more than a week in Ao Nang to end our holidays in Thailand.
Unfortunately, despite the beautiful sceneries and location we have been with the tours, the humane experience was not there: big group of tourists (30 once and 60 for the other one), with a necessary discipline which have to be explained by the guides but in the least delicate manner for the 2 guide we had.
- Organization was poor (we had 1 hour delay for one of the tour to start),
- Lot of hesitation between guides to split the group, which did not help for us to enjoy what we were here for.
- Limited time to enjoy the different places as the guides wanted to achieve our target of "x programs" during the trip to content the tourists.
If you can afford, select a better tour company with less people and probably more suitable hours to better enjoy!

2  Thank Didier B
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We were a little surprised when 23 people boarded the Long Tail but it wasnt too bad. We were a little envious of the speedboat tours roaring on ahead but the charm of the longboat I found appealing in a bohemian kind of way.
We were a little cramped on board hence my average rating.
The lunch was simple thai food but let this not deter you. I enjoyed it and after an energetic snorkle it fit the bill for me. If you prefer a western lunch, pickup a couple of ham and cheese sandwiches at 7-11 beforehand (about 23 baht).
Ah dont forget to apply sunsceen to your back i didnt and got a little burnt while snorkling! If your a keen snorkler/ diver they dont supply fins so bring your own or hire some for the day prior(about 80 baht-which is a little stiff but if you want to free dive the drop off you will need them). If you dont swim dont dispair as they do supply lifejackets and you will miss out terribly if you dont take the plunge.
At Railay Beach (the Hollywood beach of Thailand) girls wear your 'best bikini' as its a bit of a fashion parade which we found quite entertaining. And it seems a little like Cannes with tourists snapping like paparazzi! The egos are reach a climax and guys plenty of eye candy (girls you won't miss out either).
The final destination being Poda island which is a little bit of a let down as its not well kept and rubbish everywhere. Not exactly ones vision of a tropical island paradise. Its the closest island to Aonang so it serves as a safe spot incase the weather turns and a dash to the mainland may be required.
Nevertheless, grab an icecream, soak up more sun or seek a shady patch of grass. Its all about time for you so lap it up. When you get home you may not have the opportunity.
Happy travels and above all enjoy yourself. Remember this is asia with all its charm. I keep pinching myself thinking and saying to myself 'gee we would never get away with this back home'. So it reminds me of years gone by before western politicians, lawyers and do-gooder party poopers stole the fun away!
In fact do a deal with the operators and get all tours cheap: 'Phi Phi Island' tour, 'James Bond' tour, 'Hong Island' tour and the one we did the '4 islands' tour. You can review the lot! I havent the time and this unfortunately is the only day the sea was calm enough to get out!
A final word of advice, we returned slightly early due to the winds picking up and the Long Tail was very well handled by a skipper who worked is guts out tackling the waves back to Aonang. It seems there is quite a bit of skill required to tackle these boats in waves. A job very well done.....now my advice.....sit on the side of the boat opposite to the prevailing wind AND sit at the back.....if you dont you will get very wet and be the butt of extreme humour to all others on board. Hope you have as much fun as I did.
I just adore travelling and every experience good or bad adds to the richness of your endeavour.
Happy travels fellow lovers of life.

2  Thank vagabondee