“Bed bugs, bites and banging bass!”

Phi Phi Twin Palms Bungalow
Ranked #117 of 143 Specialty Lodging in Ao Nang
London, United Kingdom
“Bed bugs, bites and banging bass!”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We initially booked Twin Palm Bungalows for a 3 night stay. I had read lots of reviews prior but tried to be open minded about it - we travelled as a group of 6 mates and didn't mind a place that was in the hub of it as we were game for nightlife and it was also pretty appealing as it does sit right on the beach ...

On arrival we were shown to our room (which is literally no more than a bed with barely room to put your suitcase down and an incomplete bathroom with a cold water shower) the bed was covered in black filth which had been fired from the air con unit and there was a massive cockroach laying on the bathroom floor! We informed the staff and the sheets were replaced and the air con unit cleaned - my boyfriend took care of the cockroach, but it wasn't a great start.

It was whilst getting ready for our evening out on Phi Phi that we discovered the impact of noise from the bars on the beach - the bass literally had our whole room vibrating and despite the signs in reception that warned of loud music until 1.30am the music was just as loud until 4/5am when we returned from our night out.

My boyfriend and I awoke after a rough nights sleep fighting off bugs to find we were covered in bites and there were spots of blood all over the bed.

Unsurprisingly our group decided to cut our trip here short and left after 2 nights - we let the staff know why we were leaving - we weren't even offered an apology so didn't hold out much hope of getting a refund for our final night.

The cost of a room may be slightly cheaper in comparison to other accommodation on the island but I cannot urge you strongly enough to pay a bit extra for something acceptable as twin palms definitely tainted our views of Phi Phi altogether!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed May 4, 2012

This is nice hotel, but very noisy because near to the beach club. HUFFFFFFFFFFF i HATE THE BED BUG. Why they never clean the room?

Room Tip: Farrr farrr awayyyyy from night club
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2012

unless they burn the place down, do not stay here! lovely location close to the beach but totally over run with bed bugs! i have had bugss most places i have stayed but had to look for them, twin palms they were everywhere! in our clothes, bags, towels, even sleeping bag liner! it was suggested we moved rooms so we checked two others both of which had bugs! we ended up sleeping on the porch! we eventually got our money back minus the agents commission. they acted surprised at the bugs but when i left phi phi i met two girls who had left there in the middle of the night for the same reason.

• Stayed April 2012

Travelers are raving about these Ao Nang hotels

Reviewed April 22, 2012

My 2 friends and I stayed in a bungalow which was far too small for three people but that was the least of our worries! The bed bug riddled beds were our biggest problem I was eaten alive and woke at 4am surrounded spots of my blood and bed bugs in my sleeping bag liner! All in all I must have been biten over 50 times all over my body - face, arms, back, legs and feet my friends also were bitten too! I took some bugs I manged to kill to show reception and they laughed and said to change room.... All the rooms are infested! In conclusion please do not stay here the rooms are unhealthy and the staff are rude and smug! I will however say the manager was better and we did get almost a full refund!

• Stayed April 2012
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Stayed at the twin palms for 2 nights whilst visiting phi phi. On arriving at the hotel it seemed really nice, little beach huts just of the beautiful beach but everything was fine until I woke up after the first night to find myself absolutely covered in bites!

On closer inspection of the bed I noticed alot of small bed bugs! Not good! Also seen a mouse/rat in the bathroom!

My recommendation would be that unless u want to be covered in bites whilst catching some z's then avoid at all costs!

• Stayed March 2012
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 13, 2012

they are beach cabins right at the beach... small rooms.... if u love to party and wanna stay up late ... come here.. loud blaring music right behind ur rooms on the beach.. it is right in the middle of the parties... loved the location, we had gone to phi phi to party n get drunk... we were at an awesome location to do all that... well, the hotel does 'warns' all its guests before they book or pay the money, that there's going to be music till 4AM... so book it at your will...

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I booked a 3 night stay at The Twin Palms - Phi Phi, without really looking into any reviews. This turned out to be a major mistake. Upon arrival the 'ladyboy' checked me in. Paid 3 nights x 1600 p/n baht upfront in cash. I noticed a sign at the reception advising there would be some music from the bar playing until 1.30 am.
The room (a bamboo bungalow) was very very small. In fact the whole room was just filled with the bed and thats it. Not even enough room to unpack my things. Mosquito net was missing. A small bathroom with only cold water was located to the rear.
After venturing out and about for food and drinks I finally returned about 1.30 am, to the sound of music from Slinky's & Apache bars located either side of the resort directly on the beach. After checking with the reception, I was told - "Music finish 2 o'clock."
I was satisfied the music would stop within the next 30 mins and I resisted any doubt I had. I lay down on the bed and the whole bungalow literally shook. It was still shaking at 4 o'clock and thats when the problems started. Felt a sharp pain in my neck, after turning the light on, I saw a bed bug retreating accross the white sheets. I then noticed some movement within the pillow case. I pulled the pillow out and a nice sized cockroach fell out and sat on the bed with me !!!! Another 3 running around in the bathroom.
Informed security guy on reception about the situation and he offered me a coffee (to wake me up) as I told him I wasn't sleeping in that bed any more and declined his 'offer' of sleeping on the beach !
Didn't get much joy from reception at 7.30 am when the shift started although was told we have had many 'like you' stay this hotel and every hotel on Phi Phi has bed bugs and coackroaches.
I told her I was leaving and wanted a refund. I was offered 1 night money back. I would have gladly took that just so I didn't have to stay there, but decided to call her bluff, as none of this was my fault.
Argueing that I was leaving due to the discusting state of the hotel, she then called her boss who insisted, that was their best offer, and to come back later, because she had only just started work and didn't want problem. To her surprise, I refused to go anywhere and I just sat there, telling her I'm going nowhere. During my sit down protest she called her boss again, who agreed 2 nights refund less 15% they had to pay the agent. I took it and was on the next boat out of Phi Phi to Koh Lanta.
Summary - The 1 night stay cost a total of 2080 baht. For that I had 2 showers, brushed my teeth and lay on a dirty bed for 2 and a half hours and I didn't even sleep !!!!
If you really have nowhere else to stay, but this place, please go and find a nice spot on the beach.
This is a disgusting dirty place, infested with cockroaches and bed bugs, music unbearably loud and terrible customer service
AVOID !!!!!!

#32 of 88 in Ko Phi Phi Don
Baia Baia
Baia Baia
#59 of 88 in Ko Phi Phi Don

Been to Phi Phi Twin Palms Bungalow? Share your experiences!