“Italian, yes - but better than the Thai food in town.”

La Luna Italian Restaurant
Ranked #45 of 279 Restaurants in Ao Nang
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
“Italian, yes - but better than the Thai food in town.”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

One of the joys of visiting Thailand is its food, so I did not come to Ao Nang intending to eat Italian. However, after six days of unremitting disappointment (Thai food in Malaysia is better than in Ao Nang) I succumbed.
Now there are many restaurants in Ao Nang offering Italian food - usually the same ones offering Thai and TexMex too which should be a warning to anyone, including dumb tourists. But La Luna does Italian food and ONLY Italian food - and let us be grateful for that.
I played it safe. How far wrong can you go with pizza? Well, maybe not the best ever (and we have all had a few, admit it) but it was good. Good enough at any rate for me to consider coming back again for my last evening in Thailand tomorrow to try one of the more adventurous Italian mains. Maybe I'll eat Thai when I get back to Kuala Lumpur. If any Thai businessmen are reading this there is a gap in the market for a Thai restaurant in Ao Nang that does Thai food only and does it properly. I didn't visit any of the places offering Thai cooking lessons - perhaps that was my mistake...
In the meantime, don't hesitate to visit La Luna.

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
“Excellent tiramisu an espresso!! Best in Thailand!!!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I was craving chocolate and found this place. The Tiramisu was amazing and the coffee was excellent! Best that we have had after two weeks of traveling Thailand.
The restaurant has open seating with a nice breeze and you can people watch the strip.

Vancouver, BC
“Don't understand the good reviews...”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Reviewing this after the fact, but ate here in November and we're still surprised to see a number of good reviews. Italian food in Thailand is routinely more expensive than local fare (similar prices to Canada) and everything about this pizza was disappointing, toppings were strange, and value was terrible. Service was decent enough, not expecting everyone to speak english obviously, but we couldn't get anyone to clarify what "salad" meant as a topping on their vegetarian pizza, so we went for it. Yup, it was salad...carrot, cabbage...as much as they try to push the "authentic Italian vibe", I have certainly never seen anything like this pizza on any menus in Italy. Would never consider going back.

• Visited November 2012
“Still good!!!”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Visited this place a few years back and the standard still remains good. Delicious and affordable food, a must visit when you are here.

1 Thank EdwinEricia
Shanghai, China
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“La Luna Ristorante Italiano”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I been at this restaurant with my wife and 2 kids during during first week of April. So no rush any where due it was not the hight period of the season. It's probably the only Italian restaurant maintain by a italian owner and the gentlemen was very nice and all the staff was very professional. The food quality was there and the menu choice was good and the price were very reasonnable. I have nothing to said bad and I will go again to that restaurant with no problem.
Phone: 075-695-308