“Great food, dodgy service”

Carnivore Steak and Grill
Ranked #3 of 324 Restaurants in Ao Nang
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Carnivore serves since 2003 mouthwatering steaks; Rib Eye, Tenderloin, Lamb, Pork and chicken. All our beef is imported vacuum fresh from Australia and New Zealand. Also do we serve several fish plates; prawns, white snapper, tuna and more. Our generous salads and wide range of starters are highly appreciated with our guests. All main courses are served with a delicious salad, and you can choose between 13 side dishes and 5 meat-sauces. Since 2004 we provide our guests with a selection of 50 different beers from all over the world and also more then 40 different wines. Since 2014 do we also have a selection of about 30 different whiskeys; many of them single malts.
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Our waitress came to take our order 3 times whenit was clearwe were still lookimg through the menu.

My wife ordered the tenderloin steak with home made fries as her side. With any main, you get a side and a salad included. I ordered the ribs with a half potato with bacon and cheese topping.

The food was lovely. The second best steak we have had and the best ribs I have had in a long time. 5 out of 5. My wifes home fries were amazing. Like britixh fish and chips chips, withoit the grease.

The only thing letting this place down is the service. Hassling you when you just want to takeyour time llooking at the menu, then asking to clear away your plates when one of you is still eating.

Our meal cost 1085 bhat. 2 soft drinms and 2 meals.

Gidi M, Owner at Carnivore Steak and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Hello JPDOKU,

Thank you for reviewing our restaurant, it means a lot to us.
My staff and I are pleased that we served you a great tenderloin and a good portion of spare ribs.
The fact that you found our waiting staff a bit intrusive and pushy is not the way it should be.
If my staff was a bit too active for your feeling, sorry about this, but I still believe that it is better to be too active then too passive.
I read in a previously by you written review on TA that you condemned the passive service you received at some other place before.
About taking away the plates, yes they should wait to take away the plates until everybody is finished. Personally I like it when I finish the meal that the plates are moved so I have some space to relax.

I talked with the staff about the by you mentioned points we will try to act on these points but also we concluded that we will have always some issues that will not satisfy all of our guests totally.
What is good for one person is a reason to complain for somebody else.

Gidi Mevissen

Write a ReviewReviews (2,011)

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Very nice restaurant in a quiet and civilised location, away from the hustle and bustle of the beach-front strip. Renowned for its meat I had been told before visiting.

And wow, how right that was. One of the best cooked tenderloins I've eaten in a long time. The menu is a meat-lover's dream. And everything that I and my friends ordered was cooked to perfection and presented excellently.

Great owner/host/Manager who knows his stuff and his wine list very well.

Although a bit more expensive than the majority of eateries we tried in Ao Nang over a 3-day visit, it was worth every penny.

1  Thank David M

Hi davidamacdonald8888,

It was really great to have you over at our restaurant, specially knowing that you come from Phuket where there is a bigger variety of restaurants to choose from.
I hope that you had a great time while being here for your 3 day holiday, hope to meet you again in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I don't know who the chef is but he definitely knows what he's doing in the kitchen. Every time I go back to Krabi my first stop of the night is dinner at Carnivore. The place has such a cosy atmosphere, the staff are friendly and attentive, the customers are always friendly too. Most importantly, the food is amazing.

This hole in the wall restaurant, that sits in some strange place on a hill, has the best steak I've ever had. Even better than the ones I had in Australia. Cooked to perfection and beautifully plated, it's always a joy to go to Carnivore! The portions also always seem to grow. The first time I had dinner there the salad was the size of my fist, it's now a long plate that could feed about two people.

A typical meal I usually have there costs about SGD34.95 (USD24.95) - dirt cheap for the quality and portions! - and you get a tenderloin steak covered in mushrooms, a huge, fresh salad, a side of baked potato the size of your outstretched palm and a warm and fuzzy feeling in your belly. Totally worth it. In Singapore's it's about SGD50 for an overcooked lump of chewy beef, sad salad and soggy fries. So sad.

Carnivore has truly spoilt me with its to-die-for dishes.

P.S. Always order the watermelon juice, you'll never regret this sweet sweet sensation of ice cold watermelon slushing its way into your belly before dinner.

For pictures and my detailed budget on holidaying in Krabi: http://amandajaynelee.blogspot.sg/2014/07/budgeting-for-krabi-101.html

2  Thank ijayne

Greetings ijayne,

I am so happy to hear that you make it a routine to visit the Carnivore whenever you can escape the hectic life of Singapore.
Good to hear that the main reason for you to come back to the Carnivore is the quality of the food and the great service. This means we are doing the right thing to please our guests.
Looking at the pictures you put on; the mushroom tenderloin made even my mouth watering.

At the moment we are a bit on crossroads not sure if we will expand our business in Ao Nang or make the move to open a steak restaurant in Singapore, but we will keep our patrons informed about this.

On behalf of our staff and myself thank you very much.

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Truly a great experience. The staff gives european standard in service. And the wine selection isn't bad either. Well worth a visit. :)

1  Thank Thomas L
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed at Gillhams and one of the guides recommended this restaurant he said it had better steak than New York, he was right the steaks are lovely, the meat just melts in your mouth. The restaurant is really worth the visit its a little bit more pricy than Anong but defiantly good for a treat we paid around £88 for 4 which included a coffee, beer and steak dinner . The restaurant also serve a complimentary salad with your main meal which makes a lovely starter, defiantly worth a trip out

2  Thank JanetteD