“Loved it”

Smart Cook Thai Cookery School
Ranked #3 of 4 Food & Drink in Ao Nang
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Cooking great Thai dishes for your family and friends back home is a gourmet souvenir from Thailand that will leave a lasting impression on all. We guarantee you a unique and enjoyable learning experience.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 287 helpful votes
“Loved it”
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We got off to a bad start as our pick up did not come, when calling the place it was soon rectified and apologies all round we were on our way. First we went to the market, this is not a tourist market, it's the one where the wholesales and retailers got. Do not take this option if you are concerned with hygiene! Mac our guide explained about different types of fruits and vegetables, spices, rice etc. the fish and meat aisles absolutely stunk but it was interesting to see.

We then went the cookery school and was greeted by our tutor, Bunny, who spoke fantastic English and had a great sense of humour. We chose 7 dishes each which we made from scratch and ate in two sittings. We learned a bit of history, techniques and tips, it really was great. I made Tom yam soup, red curry paste, red curry, a noodle thing I can't remember, sticky rice with mangoes, fresh spring rolls and another thing that has escaped me.

We were given fresh water, fruits, certificate and cookbooks.

The only downside was that there was so much food we could not eat it all!

I'm certainly no foodie nor a great cook but even I could manage to recreate these dishes at home..... Assuming I can get the ingredients.

Highly recommended.

• Korean first
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Great people, great learning environment and very entertaining activity”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

One of the things our travelling group was very kind of experience was a Thai cooking course experience.
Although we are in the information technology age and everything can be found on the web,one cannot compare to the real experience of being with local people, learning their cooking tricks and enjoying their nice company.
Our host, Aivy, is a great teacher and it is very nice talking to her! Not only we learnt quite a few recipes and cook them but also every moment was really enjoyable. This is really an experience that I would recommend to everyone! :-)

Visited January 2013
Chiba, Japan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fantastic Time”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We were picked up at our hotel and driven about 30 minutes to a huge local market where Bunny (our instructor) taught us about the different spices used in Thai cooking. Then left us on our own for 20 minutes to enjoy.
Afterwards we went back to the cookery school and began our afternoon. 6 courses later I couldn't eat another bite. I actually left some of my green curry in the bowl and that NEVER happens.

Terrigal, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Something you have to do”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

If you are anywhere near this location you must have a go at at this great cooking experience. I was lucky enough to be the only person in the class on this day and to have a one on one with Bunny the teacher was fantastic. I can not recommend this class highly enough. You must give it a go.

Visited November 2012
Diss
458 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 327 helpful votes
“Learn to cook Thai food the Smart way”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We'd been desperate to have Thai cookery lessons and were so pleased we chose Smart Cook Thai. We booked it that morning and were picked up for free from our hotel in Krabi Town in the afternoon. It was a small class, there were only four of us, plus Bunny our teacher. We got to choose from a list what dishes we wanted to cook and everything we needed was then brought out to us from behind the scenes. All levels of cooking capabilities were catered for - I'm no cook and two of the others were chefs by trade - but it was such fun learning about the ingredients, seeing a demonstration, and then getting to prepare our own Thai food.

It was a memorable afternoon, we got to eat our own mouth-watering dishes and were given a complimentary cook book and certificate at the end. They even have a Facebook page to see the photos of your day!

Visited November 2012