“Clean and a budget hotel”
Review of Swiss Chalet

Swiss Chalet
Ranked #33 of 123 Ao Nang B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Clean and a budget hotel”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed here during the first week of January. We stayed here for 3 nights. The location of the hotel is excellent. Very near to the beach, shopping area and restaurants. We got Indian food too near by which was a added advantage. There are 4 separate buildings and unfortunately we (me and my husband) and my parents had to stay in a separate buildings. Our room was clean and had basic things like refrigerator, TV and coffee maker. My parents room was much more sophisticated with a sofa, bigger refrigerator, flat TV, table to work etc. Rooms are maintained well.
The downside is that all the rooms are not identical and the charges are the same. We would have loved if we got the same room type as our parents. Secondly we tried booking for airport pickup with the hotel guys over phone. The person on phone couldn't understand English. Finally she understood and gave us a mail id to which we sent a mail requesting for pickup but we didn't get a response. Appreciate if somebody who can speak English can attend and phone request.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in building A
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Yerevan, Armenia
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I booked 2 nights at the Swiss Chalet and that was long enough. My biggest gripe is that there is totally inadequate security at the guest house. The Swiss Chalet is comprised of 4 separate buildings with businesses on the ground floor and 2 floors of accommodation above. My room was on the top floor in the building that was furthest from the reception desk. The stairway was at the rear of the building and anyone could walk off the street and enter the building and the entrance door was never closed, locked or guarded. The doors on the rooms were just internal doors with 1 lock. So a thief could easily enter the building, when a guest was absent, kick the door down and take all of their belongings. Believe me I know as I have been robbed in Papua New Guinea, Ecuador and Honduras.

I paid $59 per day for a room, which I think is excessive for what is provided. The building was poorly maintained and my room was grubby. The grounds surrounding the buildings were unkempt with rubbish just lying around. It could have been park like, but the management are just too slack to keep the site tidy.

There is better value and safer accommodation elsewhere in Ao Nang. The Swiss Chalet does not deserve its present ranking.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Omihi
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Spent 3 nights at the Swiss Chalet in January. The rooms are quite basic but have everything you need. The rooms are very clean and well kept, with a shower, balcony, TV, tea and coffee making equipment. The room we had was fairly spacious. it is in a good location between the two main beaches.
The Swiss Chalet's restaurant does some of the best food I tasted in Ao Nang at very good prices. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We booked all our ferries from here too.
If you're looking for luxury, this is not the place for you. But if you want decent accommodation at a good price, look no further.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Copenhagen
Reviewed February 2, 2014

After having enjoyed the restaurant and the atmosphere the last time we were in Krabi (2011), we decided to book through Agoda, especially considering their good reviews all across the board.

We got to the hotel, and were allowed to check into the room 3 hours early, which was great, and something you can’t always get! However my wife was less than pleased when she saw the state of the room. The sewer smell coming from the bathroom pipes was pretty revolting, as was the grime on the shower fixtures/tiles. Blood stains from dead mosquitoes could be seen on the tiles, also. Although the bed had been made (whoopdie-do!) and the floor had been swept to about 75% cleanliness—there was a heap of garbage behind the night stand. We had clearly been given the crappy floor, as we found out during our first two nights when the power went out 3 separate times!!!

The hotel manager/owner clearly couldn’t care less, as he shrugged his shoulders and explained “well, this is a small problem, and you just go out the door and flick the circuit breaker switch...” Well, it is a big deal when the hot water cuts out in your filthy shower, and you have to dry yourself off before going outside to “flick the switch”. His rationale was that we were paying for a 2-star guesthouse, not a 4-star hotel, not “I’m sorry, we’ll try our best to help you.” We would not have cared in the slightest if it was advertised that rooms A3 and A4 are the only rooms in the complex with this electrical problem (as admitted by the owner/manager), so some false advertising right off the bat should be more than enough to dissuade you from coming here.

The room we got was extremely spacious, the bed was comfortable, and the fridge was decently sized—there was plenty of shelf/hang space for clothing and luggage, and a futon big enough for another person, or a couple of children. The balcony is very nice, although the aircon is very noisy and blows hot air on you depending where you sit. The view from the balcony leaves a lot to be desired, however. A load of junk litters the rear of the hotel, and really makes you think less of the cleanliness of the kitchen and just about everything else in the area. Garbage/recycling is collected out back, providing you with the full joy of breathing in the collected garbage juice and waste, but also the view of a pack of mangy (possibly rabid) neighbourhood dogs rooting through it looking for something to eat.

There is no lobby, and after 10:30pm, you have to walk through a dangerous, unlit corridor full of raw vegetables, and another locked door to get to your room. My wife mistakenly walked the long way around the back and passed by a rotting rat carcass, which the flies were taking full advantage of.

We stuck with the place anyway because we’re hearty travelers and have dealt with shoddy conditions before, but after the 7th time of losing electricity on day 5, and my wife getting an electric shock from touching the shower fixtures (!!!), any kind of recommendation we could give was null and void. Any sense of salvaging what relaxing time in Krabi we could have had was long gone. Keep in mind in 2011, two Swedes were electrocuted by their shoddy showers in Krabi, so there is a precedent. When my wife complained about it, the owner basically told her she was lying, and that it was impossible, yet still inexplicably sent up two people to look at the electrical work in the shower. No word of an apology, even though three days later, he admitted to me that the cleaning staff was given an electrical shock in another room. That may explain why the staff are so fearful of cleaning.

The food in the restaurant has also gone to the dogs. My wife ordered a plate of Swedish Meatballs, and they were pink on the inside. Her stomach was upset for at least 24 hours after that.

We had the “cleaning staff” clean the room one time, and we were pretty disgusted. They swept the room and changed the sheets, but only mopped after hearing my wife ask if they had mopped. They brought out a damp mop with no cleaning solution, started on the floor, then proceeded to go into the bathroom (and we all know what circus of filth performs there regularly), mop it up, and then attempted to finish the rest of the room with the same (unwashed) mop!!! Absolutely disgusting. They also took our dirty towels and dirty bathroom mat, and placed them on the clean towels they were replacing them with. The bottom of the bathroom wastebasket had about an inch of what appeared to be some kind of rodent/lizard excrement, and had clearly never been washed. I should add that the only time we got insects in the room were the days that they cleaned. Any cleanliness you see in that room this month comes courtesy from my wife.

It’s not mentioned on any website that if you refuse room service (what a laugh), you don’t even get asked if you want new toiletries or your complimentary waters. It seems you forfeit them if you bother to make a complaint. And the attitude you get from the staff is one of abject indifference and often derision. Lousy staff often learn from lousy owners, and this one is a condescending jerk.

Around day five, we got another pleasant surprise—in the form of some rattling on the rooftop above us. We chalked it up to monkeys from the forest behind the property, and it was just an oddity. As the loud thumping and scampering every 4 a.m. continued, we figured out pretty quickly that it had to be rats. On our last day, my wife asked the owner if he was aware that there are noises above our room, and he said “Yeah, rats or something, I know...” and shrugged. Keep that fact in mind the next time you choose to eat there. It seemed as though whatever critters were up there were playing a game of ice hockey, and it often seemed like they were going to come crashing through the ceiling. The thumps were so loud, we were woken up constantly.

Oh, by the way, if you do rent a room, don’t count on getting your money’s worth out of the wi-fi. I got a stronger, faster signal from the Anda Dhevi Resort that connected instantly (even though it’s about 130 metres away), except I didn’t have the password because I was stuck in this hell-hole. The wi-fi at Swiss Chalet is so hit-and-miss, you`ll think it`s 2001.
On our last day, between 9:30pm and 10:30pm, we were treated to the sounds of what appeared to be a drunken staff party, where several of the kitchen staff took to urinating on the aforementioned garbage heap, then zipping up and going back to “work”. Very classy.
I`m not sure why this place got such great reviews, except that they`re probably fake, or they`re from people who live in filth and as such are used to renting it as well! Avoid this place like the plague!

We rented this place for an average of $50 U.S. per night, but it's not worth more than $10.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sweatcold
BernDudi, Inhaber at Swiss Chalet, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
We are also not perfect.

But what these guests write is totally exaggerated.
They almost never leave the room. Only sometimes to buy new chips and soft drinks.
So could my staff the room never cleaned properly. The cleaning staff feeling threatened by the guests.
Behind the house is not waste. This is intended for recycling and is collected every few days.
How the other plots look like, I have no control!

Reviews of these guests are not credible. To introvert or paranoid.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed at Swiss Chalet for 3 nights in January 2014. After making the reservation online, I e-mailed the guest house to request a pick up at Krabi airport. The owner was quick to reply with confirmation and informed me of a 600 THB charge. Once arriving at Krabi airport there was a driver waiting and promptly took me to the car for the 30 minute drive from Krabi airport to Ao Nang.

Upon arriving at the guest house, check in was quick and I was taken to my room. Once in the room you have the basic things for a guest house. Bed, television, shower with hot water, soap, shampoo and safe. Breakfast is not included but there is a restaurant in the lobby and many places to eat nearby. On the first day I noticed there were ants in my room. I went ahead and took care of them myself. However on the second day I asked for somebody to come up and spray, that did not take care of the issue because the ants returned. When I was cleaning up the ants myself I noticed the floors were dirty and walking barefoot was not an option. During my stay especially at night there was a foul odor in the bathroom coming from the drains. I was given a room in the front of the guest house which was very noisy from the street traffic. Also the drapes on the windows are so thin once the sun came up it lit up the room. I would have asked for a room change but while talking to the staff they mentioned they were sold out. There is a desk in the lobby that offers tours, attractions, motorbike rentals, bus and taxi service. I rented a motorbike for 250 THB per day. When I was getting ready to leave I requested a return taxi service to Krabi airport and the tour desk only charged me 500 THB for the same service.

Overall Swiss Chalet is a decent accommodation in Ao Nang. The staff was very nice and always helpful. I paid $45 a night and I feel it's a little steep for what I received based on the prices of other hotel in Ao Nang. If I returned to Ao Nang I would try a different guest house or hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the rear of the hotel to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We decided to go to Krabi for the weekend and I was looking out for a reasonable but good quality resort in Krabi.. had been to Krabi earlier and was staying close to Swiss Chalet so had seen this property.
Quite decent rooms and excellent value for the price charged.. also decent restaurant and many other eating options around...
Would love to come back here..

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Angusthescot
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

We booked this guest house for 3 nights but ended up staying for a week.Rooms are a good size with T.V. shower kettle and balcony.Great staff and owner who is full of knowledge about the local area.5-10 mins walk from the beach and near to plenty of bars and restraunts.A great location and would highly recommend.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
#65 of 303 in Krabi Town
ToTo Residence
ToTo Residence
#52 of 142 in Ao Nang

Been to Swiss Chalet? Share your experiences!