“pleasent stay”

Ranked #22 of 107 Hotels in Ao Nang
Patong, Thailand
“pleasent stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

booked a wotif mystery deal. not a bad location .. room was quite big with a nice bathroom.. the bed was a little hard but ok... the room was clean and mini bar prices reasonable compared to most hotels. we went swimming on the rooftop pool. Very clean and relaxing. the ground floor pool looked very nice too. Breakfast was ok. salads, cereal, toast omlete, bacon (wich my girlfriend had to cook :( ). i would stay here again at the wotif price $50 oz... but not at the full rate, would expect a lot more for the full rate.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Conor B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I booked this hotel as a deal from Wotif ... had read the reviews which were mixed but went with the positives in mind. The only plus here was the room was nice and big .. We found the pillows a bit uncomfortable ..
We have been to almost all the cities in Thailand and stayed in all kinds of hotels and resorts but it was a first for us that the staff here could not understand English well..
The breakfast is avoidable and I would strongly recommend not to opt for breakfast or rather pay for it .. plenty of options in and around the hotel..
I would give this hotel a miss in favour of other choices

Room Tip: Choose a room which doesnt have a connecting door to the next one ... I could hear coughing all nigh...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We spent four nights here in February. The hotel is away from the main "strip" at Ao Nang and between the two main beaches. The room was comfortable despite a very hard bed. Breakfast was provided on the ground floor open to the street. Not a huge eating area but a reasonable choice of food. The roof pool had lovely views to the sea and was not crowded when we used it in the evening. The hotel does not provide evening food but there are plenty of eateries in the immediate area. Treat yourself to a banana pancake from the lady cooking them outside the hotel: they are great! Turning left from the hotel you get to the main town where there are bars, restaurants etc. It is less busy if you turn right and the beach there is also less crowded. Plenty of places to book tours. We went to James Bond Island and did a local 4 Island tour.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kandahar, Kandahar, Afghanistan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Do not come to this hotel. It is simply not worth the price. While it is not a roach motel, it is horribly run. I would not recommend it and unless it’s a complete last resort, would never book it. My reasons:

-The wi-fi internet in the room works about 10% of the time. Management does nothing about this, despite repeated calls to the front desk and complaints. Not the kind of service I’m used to paying 100 dollars a night for. For this alone, I would not recommend. Simply terrible. While I’m out most of the day, the least they should be able to do is provide reliable service. I talked to the manager about it 3 times, and basically just got lame excuses.

-Housekeeping skipped the room for 2 days straight, despite my call to the front desk on the 2nd day to confirm that they would clean the room. When I came back that night, I found my room untouched. Totally unacceptable. The night shift people, to their credit, did swing into action and get the stuff I needed (TP, towels and trash removal) once I brought it to their attention.

-The facilities are somewhat clean, but they miss the details; i.e. shower curtain has mildew, as does parts of the shower tiles, toilet seat had what seem to be a cigarette burn and a couple of large stains. The throw pillows had someone else’s hair on them.

-As previous reviews verify; the mattresses are rock hard. This is coming from a girl used to sleeping on cots. Also heard another guest complaining about the same thing. Not what I’d expect at a “resort.” Navigated easy enough by throwing down an extra duvet or two.

-There is only one reading lamp for a room with two beds.
-There are no dressers or shelves in the room. This makes it a pain to organize clothes and such.
-The staff speaks very little English. While I realize that we are in their country, they cater very specifically to an English speaking crowd. I find it hard to believe that they can’t find anybody more qualified than what they have. Also, the staff kind of act put off when they are at fault (ex: their internet not working). I even got hung up on!

-The breakfast is decent enough. The food is not bad, standard fare of fruit (delicious), cereal, toast, pastries, potatoes and eggs. You can get eggs to order if you can get the girls cooking the eggs to understand what you want; no small feat. They are not ready by 7, like they are supposed to be, ever.

-The staff are very slow, if responsive at all, to requests. I asked for some extra duvets (for the rock hard mattresses) and they finally made it up about 2 hours later. When I called about the wi-fi in the room, I was hung up on and absolutely nothing was done.

-The final outrage was during checkout, where I found out that they charge an arm and a leg for LOCAL calls. I had to pay 536 bhats for calls made to local phones. This would be fine if I was notified that there were charges; they told me nothing when I asked about local calls at the front desk. Simply infuriating.

Bottom line, this place would be great under the right management; but since they neglect everything, it is extremely overpriced for awful service. I’m an experienced traveler and would highly recommend just about anything else over this. It is close to the main shopping/beach, but so are a lot of other places. Go somewhere else, seriously, this is the 2nd worst played I’ve ever stayed at.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, go to a different hotel, period.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DelphinaC
Marketing_SmallGrp, Public Relations Manager at The Small, Krabi, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your stay and comment on our hotel. After our management investigation with front office department, kindly allow us to explain as following detail.

1. For WiFi, we apologize for inconvenience caused. We are trying our best to improve this. Front office manager reported that she has compensated your inconvenience with 4 beers as per your requested. Please accept our apology if she thought that our compensation as per request is not satisfied.

2. For Housekeeping, we are afraid that it was miscommunication. Our housekeeping reported that she was informed by client that no need to clean the room when she went to do daily service in the morning. She put that in our log book both days. We apologize if she took wrong interpretation that you may want her to come back later.

We are taking your comment seriously to improve our service, including implementing extra English training for our staff.

Best regards,
Hotel Management
South Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed hear with my husband on our second visit to krabi and had considered this hotel on our previous visit. To be honest I was really disappointed. We had a pool access room which was nice and very clean. The pool is freezing in fact unbearable at times. Breakfast was a complete joke only had once and honestly only had an orange juice. All the fresh fruit was covered in flies and the cereal was thrown all over the place and that was it. The roof top pool is tiny whilst we were there the 'bar' (which is a table with spirits on and you leave money) got hit with a gust of wind and bottles smashed everywhere this was left for 2 days despite being reported. We were backpacking between Thailand and kuala lumpur and got so fed up we actually left the room we paid or and headed over to Rae Lae beach for 2 days. I'm pretty easy going but the small hotel disappointed me greatly sorry wouldn't recommend for more than a couple of days.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank welshgirl-TA
KL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed in pool access room with my 1 years old baby, room is spacious and big enough to put in a baby cot. Room is clean and with big size bath tub but there are lot of mosquitos even is equipped with Insect Repellent. Jacuzzi is also available outside the balcony. Breakfast variety is quite limited but overall taste is ok. All the staffs are very friendly and willing to help whenever request for something. I will definitely stay again if happen to visit Krabi in future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Wallas_LCW
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Overall, we would stay again here because of the location, which is right on the corner of the main beach road. Face the ocean and to the left is the more developed part of Ao Nang. To the right down about a quarter of a mile is less busy beach.

We booked the Moondeck Suite for 5 days. But when we arrived, a bizarre thing happened. The desk said we were being upgraded to a poolside room. We had prepaid for the Moondeck room which is about 1100 baht more expensive. It turns out that our Moondeck suite was occupied by someone who had an acident and could not be moved out of the room. We said we certainly were not going to take a cheaper room without a credit The duty manager just smiled that charming but frustrating smile you get in Thailand apparently clueless about our point. We actually had to go online to their website right there in the lobby to point out the price difference. UltimAtely, the main manager made good on the credit and offered 2 free massages as compensation.

The poolside room was clean and nicely appointed in Thai style wood paneling, simple functional furniture. We love the deck which lets you enter the lovely pool. The poolside bar that looks enticing on the websitr is shut down. The bathroom is ok, with an inviting tub and a very functional large sink allowing you to rinse out clothes. The shower drain was slow and the toilet was a little strange flushing, with a hesitation and then a powerful flush.

Breakfast is included and is quite eclectic including chafing dishes brought over from the sister property across the street, which strangely turn cold 10 minutes after being put out. Omellette station is appreciated. My one suggestion is the juice dispensers! Which have have processed fruit juices (orange and pineapple Tang-like), be upgraded.

The staff is friendly but you are never sure if they understand what you are saying or asking for. Don't get me wrong, we have been all over the world and are not ones to insist on English speaking. This is just a warning to visitors to double check things when you ask the staff to help you with booking reservations and so forth.

All in all, we had a good stay after a fairly rough beginning.

Room Tip: Poolside ground level is nice
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple