“Cheap but Nice”

Ranked #10 of 123 Ao Nang B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Cheap but Nice”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Very nice budget hotel. Clean and cozy. No lift so you need to use the stairs only. No swimming pool. Free wi-fi. Near halal food restaurants. 10 minutes-walk to Ao Nang beach. Staffs are not so friendly but the owner was so kind.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank imazlina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
london
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Well maintained hotel with clean big rooms. Staff were friendly and always ready to help. 15 mins walk to the beach or pay 20 baht to get to the beach through tuk tuk.
We were surprised by the size of the rooms considering the cost of the accommodation. We paid double this price for a hotel in Singapore and the size of the room was half of this one.
Free wifi was an added advantage and it was quite fast too.
Staff were friendly and we booked our sightseeing trips through them at reasonable rates.

Only disadvantage being that there is no lift available, so for older couples, they should be ready to negotiate the stairs instead. My mother found this quite difficult.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank pramo
Pune, India
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Pros-
The hotel is very cheap - quite comfortable and has all modern amenities.
The room is quite big and bed is big.
It has a good bathtub and bathroom is good.
The aircon is good n silent.Also has a safe very much needed to store ur passport and money while you go on beaches and in water.
They even give you free mats, free iron. You can rent dvd player and dvds.

Cons -
Bit of a walk - around 15 min to beach.
They dont allow you to take towel on beach - pay 20 baht rent per day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2014

This was my second time here; I came back because the hotel was so clean and affordable, and the staff so amazing. This trip I had really bad luck and broke my knee – and I don’t know what I’d have done without the help of the very kind Goodwill staff. I didn’t know my knee was broken, but I knew I needed to get to a doctor. They took me there, and then Mr. Soon (the manager) came along himself later to talk to the doctor, find out what was going on, and drive me back to the hotel. They helped me with all kinds of things: ice packs, lent me a pair of crutches (!), and the biggest thing of all, trying to phone my medical insurer (side note: those 24/7 numbers can be a lot of BS; it took us an hour to get through to the right number). This was the first time I’ve ever had to deal with a medical emergency on a trip, and as I was travelling alone, I just don’t know what I’d have done without their help. Usually when I book a hotel I’m just thinking location, value, cleanliness… never has it occurred to me how much I might need to rely on the staff. So I give them five plus stars for service! Also, Mr. Soon has opened a new hotel closer to the beach, so if you want to be more convniently located, I would also suggest the Smile hotel. Thanks again to Mr. Soon, Paiboon, and Pat – I hope I can repay their kindness some day!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Jojabees
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed in the Ao Nang Goodwill for one night before heading over to Railay and we're satisfied with our stay, despite not being that impressed by Ao Nang itself. The rooms are spacious and clean, however the decour is a little outdated but overall represented good value for money.

The receptionist was friendly on arrival and was very helpful in providing information regarding boat/travel arrangements.

Whilst the hotel is situated at the top of Ao Nang, it's only a 5/10 min walk to all the bars and restaurants and about a 15 min walk to the beach. The only complain we would have is the traffic is very noisy heading into Ao Nang, which starts at around 6:30 in the morning...on the bright side there was no chance to sleep through our alarm and miss our boat ;-)

Not a bad hotel for a night or two...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed March 2, 2014

we enjoyed our stay in Goodwill Hotel. The first impression was not that good as we were not greeted with smile, we were not greeted at all. The lady at the reception was not that friendly. But she was actually a nice person, just that she was not good at socializing or maybe she was shy to make a first move. However, when we have any question or need her help for booking the airport van, she always immediately settle for us.

The first moment we went into the room, we saw the elephant folded by towel, it was creative. and the toilet is so clean. We actually made an error when setting the safety box password twice, and the staff there taught us with patience on phone and even came upstairs to demonstrate for us (I know, we could be very stupid sometimes). they have room service everyday, so even we made the room very untidy everyday (yea, i know, we are lazy people), they will clean the room before we came back in the evening. Goodwill also provides 2 bottles of water everyday. Besides, we could send our laundry to the counter and get our clothes back the next day. it was only 40 bahts per kg. the staffs there was ready to help us to book a van to airport, I have forgotten the price but it was a reliable price. the van driver reached the hotel earlier and waited for us. the staff are also ready to teach you how to take bus, they were even willing to stop the bus for us.

The only con is that, Goodwill is a little far away from the beach, which is about 10 minutes, but you could always find many decent restaurant and tour agencies on your way back to the hotel. we took it as an exercise after meal to walk back to the hotel. We found our tour agency on our way to the beach on the first day. The company name is GR TOUR and it was run by DAO and assisted by JADE. they are really very friendly and they offer a reliable price for every tour. On our last day, they have given us special discount to sea cave kayaking tour package and krabi town package because we booked from them for everyday. I do not know the price of package of the hotel. but i think it would be good as well because for the airport transfer, i believe they didnt charge us an extra cent for it.

One more thing is, if you are a early person, have breakfast in this hotel. this is because we woke up so early and sometimes we couldn't find any breakfast shop outside which offer nice food) except a shop selling porridge for breakfast on the way to the beach but you would not want to have porridge for everyday breakfast. so we believe, having breakfast in this hotel would be more convenient.

Room Tip: There is no elevator in this hotel. So, if you are with an elder or with super heavy luggage, reques...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jiajia_see
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights in Feb 2014. Well priced room which was very clean and I was impressed with the value provided - fridge, safe included, large size of room. Location was great, approx 5 mins to the start of the shopping/restaurants leading to Ao Nang beach....and about 15 mins to the beach itself. Conveniently located on the main street , a stones throw away from several banks/money exchange and family mart/7-11.

The staff was great to deal with and we easily booked our ferry over to phi-phi through the front desk. They were helpful in providing us with an outlay of the area and how to best get around.

I can tell the hotel has been around for a while...the sheets in our room, though laundry cleaned still had several old stains which bothered my wife. Upon request the staff was more than happy to change the sheets.

All in all this place met our need for a 2 night stop over on a budget. I completely agree with other reviews stating thay you should not be fooled by the outside....this is a very nice, clean and convenient place to stay.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple