“Best Thai in AO Nang by a very long way”

Bussaba Thai Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 273 Restaurants in Ao Nang
Cuisines: European, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant is located in SOI KLONG HANG 4 Road ,Before next to Canivore steak House and Pavilion Queen's Bay Ao-Nang
London, United Kingdom
“Best Thai in AO Nang by a very long way”
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Seventh day in AO Nang. Prior to visiting Bussaba we have been served some pretty poor and quite expensive food in this area. Things had gotten so bad I refused to eat outside Wang Sai crab meals (which are amazing).

My partner had gotten bored and eventually convinced me we should again explore...

Bussaba was amazing. So good we have booked dinner here for the next two nights (Xmas eve and Xmas).

Try the chicken massala with roti - beautiful. Or the duck curry - yum.

The kids had their favourite - tomato pasta. Best in AO Nang. Reasonable size and fair price with a bit of garlic bread on the side.

Will be eating here for the rest of our stay.

• Visited December 2013

• Thai first
Amsterdam
“Absolute disgrace”
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

I went to Bussaba last night with the hope I could find some actual Thai food in this part of the country where it is sorely lacking.

I thought I would treat myself to a king prawn curry which at 450 baht was more than twice the cost of anything else on the menu. The fish was listed under "Thai Spicy Curries" but after being disappointed everywhere else in this region, I made it very clear to the waiter that I wanted it Thai Spicy. He looked at me and said "Are you sure?" which I felt was insulting. I reiterated that I did making sure he understood.

My food arrived but it was NOT a Thai curry, it may have had 2 tablespoons of sauce but it could have been tomato ketchup it was so bland. I immediately sent it back. It also had been padded out with rock hard inedible baby aubergines, sweet corn and carrots (the latter 2 are not vegetables to be found in authentic Thai Curries)

When it came back, it was the same dish but with fried chillies poured over. Lots of oil and chilli but no flavour whatsoever. One of my 3 prawns had disappeared so I was paying 450 baht for 2 prawns which were by no means King. Again I complained and the prawn I had originally cut into was retrieved and put on a plate for me. For all I know this was retrieved from the bin. I wasn't having this so I said to the waiter "Do you think I am going to pay 450 baht for 3 prawns?" He said "No no no, it's not 450 baht" obviously not believing it could be that much either. He retrieved the menu, found the dish and then confirmed "Yeh yeh, 450 bah".

I put down 100 baht on the table and left without eating. No one followed me.

It is a crying shame that it is impossible to get authentic Thai food in this part of Thailand. I don't care if all the tourists are westerners of which the majority don't like food spicy and full of flavour. Some people, like me come to this amazing country to enjoy the wonderful food.

I was so disappointed and angry after going to Bussaba, I gave in and ordered a pizza on the way home which was vile so I left it. I was even tempted to go to McDonald's but decided to go to bed hungry instead.

I am in Ao Nang for anther 2 nights and if Bussaba want to contact me and prove to me that they can cook proper Thai food, then I will consider going back but I won't be holding my breath.

2 Thank Dutch_Bird_Amsterdam
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Excellent food with tiny flaws”
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Friday night with six of us tuk tuk found it no problem, service was quick and very efficient.

Nice starters and then we ordered main course one of the party asked for medium green curry and another spicy. A word to the wise medium is not medium as us westerners know it was very tasty but too spicy. The spicy was very hot but as described. Fried Chicken and cashews was great.

Deserts were excellent as was the rice. A good experience and will return if we have time.

Visited December 2013
Shanghai
“Fabulously upmarket Thai dinner at moderate prices”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

nice ambiance, cute smiling staff, tasty food at really moderate prices. Overall, a terrifically delightful experience at the top of the hill above Ao Nang beach. Dinner for 4 was 2100 baht including drinks, plus a tip. Very fair. We were lucky as we had already rented motor scooters, without them would have been an uphill walk. Adjacent to "Carnivore", opposite "The Hilltop" Recommended for couples on a date. Very LGBT friendly.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank TobySimkin
“Don't bother unless you can handle smoking”
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

We went here on the basis of previous reviews. We ordered drinks and food then a table next to us all started to smoke even though there were NO SMOKING signs. I asked a member of staff on two occasions to ask the to refrain from smoking the response was that they will not stop. At that point we paid for our unfinished drinks and left without sampling the food. Do not go here unless you want a smoke filled restaurant to go with your food.

1 Thank Peter H