“Excellent Hotel in Ao Nang beach”

Ranked #9 of 111 Hotels in Ao Nang
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This must be one of the best hotels in Ao Nang. This is my first time here in Ao Nang and I swear if I were to go back to Ao Nang, I would definitely stay in this hotel again. Staffs were very attentive and very friendly. One of the staffs even came to our room to talk to us about attractions in Ao Nang when we mentioned that we have yet to plan anything for our trip in the front office. A very special thanks to Ella as well as she is very friendly and she will come and talk to you every morning during breakfast.

Location wise, this hotel is very strategic. Opposite the hotel, there are bars, pharmacy, restaurants and even tailor shops! Below the hotel, there is a McDonalds. So if you're hungry and you prefer burgers for supper, this hotel is definitely the hotel you would want to stay in.

There is only one thing that made us pretty sad which is the mosquitos in the room but what the heck, the town itself is filled with mosquitos as we were bugged by mosquitos as well when we were doing massage in an air conditioned room in some massage parlour. Therefore there is nothing to blame on this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CalvinChiang
aonangcliffbeach, Owner at Aonang Cliff Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear

Thank you for your review. In regards to your comment about mosquito's we have a monthly mosquito spray procedure in the hotel grounds, none the less we will share comment with Management. It is a pleasure to hear that you will come back to stay with us during your next vocation to Aonang! We will share your positive comments among the staff who will be delighted to hear that their hard work is appreciated.

Aonang Cliff Beach Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (2,084)

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just returned after spending 10 days at this resort, had early check in and was in our large spacious room by 10am, room was clean and tidy, beds comfy bathroom spotless, staff were always friendly and keen to assist with a smile and of course Ella (relations officer) was amazing, well done Ella, nothing was any trouble, breakfast was plentiful, swimming pool was well cleaned and the water refreshing. Located in a good position in Aonang, walking distance to beach. Well done to the owner of this resort.

Room Tip: Always ask for early check in and late check out, and tea/coffee facalities as this resort does
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tamar W

Dear Tamar W,

We are happy to hear you returned safely, and have pleasant memories of your stay with us. We hope that we have the pleasure of taking care of you both in the near future!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night stay while spending time in Ao Nang.
When we first arrived we found the room we booked was not available due to air conditioning problems. We were down graded for the first night then upgraded to a family room for the next two nights and given a voucher for dinner for the inconvenience.
We did also meet two other couples who had been double booked and were a bit concerned that this may be a frequent occurance.

While the family room was nice there is a definite damp/mouldy smell which did not leave the room at all while were were staying. We did mention this to the reception staff immediately and again to Ella, the lady who is doing a great job of guest communication who told us she would pass our concern on to management. She also said that the resort was about to start upgrades in the quiet season so hopefully this problem will be solved.
While staying Ella also gave us some great advice for day trips and things to do while staying
The breakfast was adaquate and in a lovely setting making the most of great views.

The hotel is well located to take advantage of eateries, and the sea for day trips.

Room Tip: Take a room above the pool with a view. will be worth it.

Dear mintyopotiki

We firstly apologize for any in-convince caused at beginning of your stay and I can assure you this is not a regular occurrence. We hope despite this, that you have fond memories and we hope that you will come to visit us again to see the real Aonang Cliff Beach!

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

We arrived in Ao Nang without a hotel booking and we started our search from the beach road. We were looking for a good value for money accommodation, not the cheap one neither the high end hotels.

My husband and I visited around 5 hotels in the same road as this one and Cliff Beach had by far the best rooms. It is true it was a bit pricier than the others, but a small price difference for the cleaness and pleasant lemongrass smell in the room. Online rates (booking.com) has better rates than at the reception.

Breakfast is just ok, but has a good variety.

Staff is good, mainly the customer relation manager, Ella. She is very kind, came every morning to our breakfast table to check if we need anything and always recommended good tours.
The exception was a lady at the reception desk on the day we arrived. She had a supervisor tag but was soooo rude that we almost decided not to stay there because of her. Thanks that at the end Ella came to greet us :)

Location is good, close to the beach and taxi boats.

• Stayed: May 2013
aonangcliffbeach, Owner at Aonang Cliff Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear ElisaSP,

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that you eventually found the right destination for your holiday right here in our resort. It brings us great pleasure to hear that our hotel met all of your needs, and we hope that you will come to visit us again on your next vocation to Krabi!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Okay, this hotel isn't all bad. Let's start with the good.
1. It has helpful staff, but the only one who can really speak gd English is Ella.
2. Great location right in the middle of Ao Nang, very near good food and cheap massage places. There's a money exchange, a bar, a McDonalds
3. Large and spacious room and bathroom
4. Cheap wifi. It was 150 Baht for the whole duration of our 5 day stay.
5. Decent breakfast spread. Could be better though.
6. There is a travel desk in the hotel. Convenient for booking tours.
7. Their pool bar serves a fantastic coconut shake.

The bad:
1. The Wifi is VERY slow
2. The beds are a little sandy every day and are VERY hard. Hardest beds I've ever slept on, and I've stayed in some very cheap hostels. I woke up with a neckache.
3. The housekeeping knocks on your door insistently even when there is a "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging outside your door
4. The air conditioning cannot be turned below 20 deg C or apparently the building will short circuit
5. The pool is tiny, and on hot days the water feels warm. There's no breeze so "chilling" by the pool is really a misnomer in this case.
6. The lights flicker on and off even when the master switch is off. My friend and I did not touch the master switch when the lights started flickering. Given the extensive literature on haunted Thai hotels my companion and I were extremely creeped out. It happens both in the day and at night, though more often at night, according to my companion. Sometimes the power trips in the whole room so even the air conditioner will shut off, only to come on again 10-20 minutes later. My friend woke up every time the lights flickered and I woke up when the power tripped, so we both didn't sleep well.
7. The TV would mysteriously turn itself off whilst we were watching it, and then equally mysteriously come back on again as well even though the switch was off. When I called the reception (I stoically wanted to believe that it was merely a technical issue) the reception informed me rather unhelpfully that the TV would only work tomorrow. When pressed for a reason, she could only repeat again that the TV would only work the next day. It's entirely possible that she didn't understand me. In that particular instance, it came on again about 1.5h later much to my surprise and my friend's. I would add that the TV switch was off when it came on.
8. They charge 500 Baht for a lost key card. This is the first time in all my years of travelling when I have been required to pay for a lost key card, and such an exorbitant sum at that! The key card incident was yet another mysterious occurrence as my friend and I had clearly seen my key card in my wallet the day before. I did not use my key card at all after we both saw it in my wallet, as my friend had his in his pocket and it was much more easily accessible. It also could not have fallen out of my wallet as my wallet has a flap that prevents that from happening. I have never lost a single card since I started using this wallet 5 years ago until this incident. However, when I opened my wallet to hand in the key card at checkout, it was missing from its slot. My friend and I were completely bewildered and certainly more than a little creeped out in light of the flickering lights and the TV with a mind of its own.
9. Our room was right next to the street and you can clearly hear the street noise in the day and at night. This didn't bother us all that much but if you're a light sleeper it may affect you.

For reference, our room number was 1139. It's entirely possible that the other rooms are fine.
There were altogether too many creepy occurrences for my taste and I regret that my friend and I will not be staying in this hotel again.

Other things that left us non-plussed which have nothing to with the hotel:
1. The Ao Nang beach nearby is disgusting. If you've been to Singapore's Changi Beach before it was cleaned up, that gives you a fairly good idea of what it looks like. The water is a murky grey and there are many longtail boats berthed or speeding in and out.
2. The food around the hotel is catered very much to tourists and so it's not very spicy although generally tasty. For those of you who want proper Thai food you may have to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't get those facing the main street.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank schixzotic
aonangcliffbeach, Owner at Aonang Cliff Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Schixzotic,

Thank your for you review. Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences caused.
In regards to you comment about Thai food,we are proud to announce that by popular demand we will be opening a new Thai restaurant by July. Our restaurant will indeed showcase the many wonderful authentic Thai tastes, and we would love for you to come and visit!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

This was my 2nd visit in this property after 2 years.
As we are 2A2C, So we had book thier family room. ..which is good value as well as good space for 3A2C or 2A3C easily. The room is consist of 2 double bed and 1 sofa bed , room has small pantry area with microwave as well. This time chairs were missing which should be there as they have small table in pantry. ..so it was only table in pantry for 2. Balcony has small bathtub which we never got to use as we were out all the time.
Reception and staff are quiet helpful and friendly... Check in / out was smooth and quick. Guests can use free wi-fi in lobby and pool area and if you want in room - cost is only Bht 150.00 per stay - which is very reasonable and we did go for it.
Pool is ok, small..but u can still enjoy good swim as well as sun bath. The only thing i felt that they should have clean up the smal ponds near the pool area as sand & dead leaves have settled at the bottom, same was with the ponds on the entrance.. they need cleaning as it leave bad impression.
Breakfast was ok.. nothing fancy but nothing to complain about.
Kids club is very small and basic and air con was out of order when we were there ( but we opened both the doors so it was ok ) but small kids can njoy for 1-2 hrs but 1 parent or elder kid has to assit the younger one as there is no staff to monitor and its quiet in that area of the hotel. Its next to thier fitness - fitness is good enough.
Hotel also provides kick boxing classes / yoga at reasonable price.
Over all its a good property...they have spa, tour desk. We had pleasant stay ..
My suggestion for improvement- They need to fix thier housekeeping... i feel housekeeping needs to be improved.. Normally v never have problem with housekepping.. but i feel in this resort or maybe our wing , need improvement... our bathroom was always wet and we did informed reception about it. It was fixed on the 1st day but again we faced same problem for next 3 days...so we just overlooked as it was not that serious and we kept wearing slippers to the toilet instead to avoid getting our feet wet.
This property is close to all eatery, shopping , beach.. Indian restaurant is right in front with other International restaurant like Eden, then Starbucks, MC.
We will surely stay with them again.

Room Tip: Superior and Deluxe are good for 2 / 3 people.. They have few seaview rooms which are close to Coffe...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
aonangcliffbeach, Owner at Aonang Cliff Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Ta8,

It was a pleasure to have your family come to stay with us again. We would also like to thank you for your recommendations and comments on our hotel & we hope you will come to see the improvements we have made when you come to visit us the next time.

Look forwards to seeing you again soon,
Warm Regards

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I recently stayed here with my parents who were visiting me from England and it was a wonderful experience. I have stayed in quite a few different hotels during my recent holidays and this was by far the best. This is a top class resort where the staff genuinely care about their guests and will go that extra mile to make you feel comfortable. When we first arrived we were given some herbal tea whilst we filled in our details and the staff were very friendly and eager to make us feel welcome.

Our rooms were lovely, clean, comfortable and in good condition. My room even came with a bath on the balcony with a sea view which was lovely to sit in after the day's activities and look out over the sea. The beds were comfortable and I found the room really cosy. The rooms also came with extras such as a safe and a beach mat.

The hotel has two places where you can get food and drink. There is the restaurant and the pool bar. Breakfast is served in the restaurant which is a buffet serving a variety of Thai and western breakfast items which were tasty and good quality. My favourite though was the pool bar which was a good place to have lunch and also offered cocktails and smoothies throughout the day and free afternoon tea.

The resort has one swimming pool which is lovely to swim and cool down in when you get too hot. There are exercises classes such as yoga should anyone wish to participate and also you can also book day trips from the hotel reception.

The location of this resort is excellent. It is about a 5-10 minute walk to the beach and there are plenty of bars and restaurants near by.

One of the things which really makes this resort stand apart from other hotels is the staff. The staff here are brilliant. They are active, helpful and friendly. If there is anything missing or something that you need they are willing to help you out and are quick to do so. By far the best service I've had from any hotel I have stayed at in Thailand so far. I would particularly recommend Ella who was really nice and very good with the guests.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone thinking of staying in Ao Nang. It is a lovely resort, great location, very comfortable and the staff are great.

Room Tip: Go for a deluxe sea view room which comes with a little bath on the balcony where you can sit, relax...

Dear Jessica D,

Thank you for well informed review on our hotel, It was our pleasure to take care of you and your family! We will surely share your praise among the staff, who I am sure will be delighted to hear that their services are appreciated! We hope that on your next vocation that you and your family will come to visit us again! Please keep in contact via: info@aonangcliffbeach.com (You can even inform us when you may be visiting us again!)

Warm Regards to you and your family,