Auberge La Montagne Coupee
$56
Motel le Verseau(Sorel-Tracy)
$47
  • Spa
All reviewsexcellent value for moneymassagewintergroundsaubergeschedulevalleyhallway
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was our 10th stay at this resort and we will be back for more. Amazing rooms, amazing location, GREAT Food. If you're looking for a nice place to stay to get away from it all, this is it. For those of you who dont speak French, Montagne Coupee means Cut Mountain. The hotel is situated right on the edge of a cliff so the view is incredible. Special Thanks to Martin the Best Waiter in the business.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PatandEnza
Reviewed February 5, 2012

The hotel was nice when I first arrived however the grounds are not safe for snowmobilers. Upon check in, I was asked if I wanted to put my sleds in their barn which is 1/4 mile away from the resort. Aside from that, I was checking in at night which made it very inconvenient. I asked if they had any problems with theft and they said it been over a year. I decided to park the truck in their parking lot. After going out for a ride I returned to see that my trailer locks were broken and a new sled valued at $12k plus all accessories in my trailer with value of another $1K were stolen. I then noticed they broke the locks on my truck when they tried to steal that also. They rampaged through the inside of the cab and also broke the lock on the fiberglass lid on the back of the truck and stole all my tools valued at another $1k. All this happened during the day with no one witnessing anything. The truck was parked in front of the hotel parking lot where management claims they have no video surveillance. The police came after three hours and they said this hotel has had many issues with theft. This statement conflicts with what I was told when I arrived to check in. I strongly feel the owner was hiding this and when I complained that my truck and trailer had been broken into, she started to mention her frustration with the local gang of thieves. I think if the owner was that frustrated with the gangs then they should have had outside cameras installed and attempted to secure customers’ trailers. I almost felt that they were more concerned about their reputation than addressing the issue. The thieves spent a lot of time in my truck attempting to steal it and I felt they were going to come back although the hotel owner said they would never come back. I left a day early after paying for a three day pass for two sleds and the hotel did not give me any type of credit even after expressing that they should have been more honest about their situation. I would not recommend staying there if you plan to snowmobile. The local police force is severely under staffed and cannot control this situation. Rawdon is the closest police force (45 miles away) and it took them 3 hours to arrive. Their reason for the delay was that they had another snowmobile theft to report on their way to my case.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank K L
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed in a suite with a fireplace and a hot tub. The room was very spacious and clean, a bit disappointed by the television and lack of channels but the hotel was equiped with nice (not heated) pool, an exercise room and a play room (ping pong, billiard, etc). There is a nice trails in the woods and an beautiful scenery. We drove to the monastery for cheese and religious services. The staff was very helpful. The only negative thing was the noise, we could hear people in the hallway and the next room and that waked me up. Also the mattress was a bit hard but some people like that.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DomLaf
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We splurged on an overnight stay in one of the superior suites, and were very pleased.

The rooms are as shown in the inn website, and everything was in top-notch condition. The fireplace was even decorated for the Christmas season, with a garland of green across the mantle.

The dinning room’s table d’hote represented excellent value for money, wonderfully prepare food with fabulous service.

There is a well-maintained trail leading through the woods for your enjoyment.

This is a place that we would definitely return to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the valley
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We drove up the mountain for an overnight stop at Auberge de la Montagne Coupee and were very, very pleasantly surprised.

We were given a very nice, double bedded, standard room overlooking the woods and the valley beyond. The furnishings, the amenities and the overall condition of the room was quite agreeable.

After wandering the grounds for a bit and admiring the views, we had a bit of cheese, a glass of wine (or two) and went down for dinner.

We each chose the $47 pp menu.

For appetizers, I had the beer-braised bison (always avoid alliteration) and my wife had the Mesclun salad.

Main courses were the Confit de Canard with a bit of foie gras for me and the Catch of the Day for my Lady Wife.

For dessert, she chose the mini jar of chocolate cream with raspberries in wine liqueur nestled on a lemon zabaglione, while I had the cheese plate.

The food was very good. The wines accompanying the meal (extra cost) were of very good quality. The service was excellent.

For breakfast the following morning we each chose the crepes – one regular and one of flax seed – filled with a chocolate/cheese mix and topped with crème fraiche.

Before we left, we stopped at the nearby Cistercian Monastery (http://www.abbayevalnotredame.ca/sejour-monastere/index.aspx) where we viewed an interesting exhibit of art work by the monks (some of it going back nearly 100 years) before stocking up on some excellent maple syrup at very good prices. (Fear not, we bought some American maple syrup in Vermont.)

The auberge is located about 1:30 hr from Montreal, 3 hr from Quebec in Saint-Jean-de-Matha.

Highly recommended.