The Dining Room at Washingborough Hall Country Hotel
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The award winning 2 AA Rosette, Dining Room is situated within Washingborough Hall Country House Hotel - a beautiful Grade 2 listed late georgian Manor House set in 3 acres of gardens and only 3 miles from the historic centre of Lincoln. The elegant, yet informal restaurant is open 7 days a week offering a la carte menu from 6pm-9pm. Lunchtime menu from 12.00-2pm weekdays and Sunday with dedicated Sunday lunch menu too. A delicious Afternoon tea menu with home made cakes and pastries and a more informal bar menu is also available 12.00-9pm. Lincolnshire favourites implemented with care and attention. and attention. Open
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The food was delicious the waiting staff's service was outstanding and all at a reasonable price = Excellent

Reviewed March 7, 2013

As regular visitors to Washingborough Hall we are most impressed with the quality of the food and the consistently high standard of the cooking, presentation and service. The staff are always attentive and friendly and do their utmost to make you feel special. We have booked a number of anniversary and birthday parties there and the team go out of their way to accommodate all our wishes.
An excellent venue for all your celebrations!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Lovely friendly staff, great menus and great food. Beef carpaccio & crab, lime, coriander for our starters. Scallops and calves liver for mains.Both had cheese board which was excellent and about 5 different cheeses. Quite expensive but worth it. My only dislike was the floor of the dining room which wobbles every time anyone walked about. Something and nothing but a niggle to me. The decor of the dining room was beautiful. Lovely curtains and furniture and lovely crisp white inens.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Washingborough Hall is a Grade II listed Georgian Manor House set within its own grounds, in the centre of Washingborough, a small village of old stone cottages, on the limestone escarpment of Lincoln Edge overlooking the River Witham, not far out of Lincoln. A path running through a gate in the wall connects Washingborough Hall with the village church.

In recent years many of the trees in the grounds have been cut down. It opens up the grounds, but has led to a significant loss of trees. Maybe the wood feeds the wood burning stove in the main entrance hall.

A guide rail rather spoils the entrance, but necessary for those less able. It was decorated with holly!

Inside, quite impressive Christmas decorations.

On offer today a special New Year Day lunch. A fixed menu, two courses (soup and main) or three courses (soup, main and dessert).

The soup was roasted vegetables. It seemed to be mainly parsnip, puréed vegetables. I was none too impressed.

For main a choice of beef, pork, salmon or wild mushroom risotto.

We chose Panache of Salmon & Bass, Crevette Velouté and Caramelised Belly of Pork, Spiced Apple Compote, served with a dish of vegetables.

Panache of Salmon & Bass, Crevette Velouté was served with baby new potatoes. Nicely presented but very meagre in portion size. More like a starter.

Caramelised Belly of Pork was served with roast potatoes. I assume slow cooked, but it did not say. The crackling was crisp and crunchy, without being hard. Gravy was on the plate not in a gravy boat to help oneself. We were not asked if we wanted gravy.

The pork was delicious. I wish I had asked how it was cooked, and from where sourced. I suspect the nearby village of Heighington, which has an excellent butcher.

The vegetables were carrots, peas in their pods, green beans, broccoli and rather overpowering red cabbage. I like red cabbage, but this was spoilt by being sweet (more like jam) and there was rather a lot of it.

The vegetables were not as claimed on the menu ‘fresh seasonal vegetables grown locally’. The peas and bean were I suspect air-freighted in from Kenya.

The desserts did not look especially enticing. The offer of desserts we declined.

Tea and coffee came with a small lump of what was claimed to be home made fudge. The coffee (I did not try), appeared to be bog standard filter coffee. The request for a latte was ignored. With most people used to drinking quality coffee (and I do not mean rubbish from Costa or tax dodging Starbucks) in indie coffee shops I am surprise more effort was not made with the coffee, especially as according to the sign in the street they were serving Stokes coffee.

The two local girls serving very pleasant.

I have had far better meals at less far less price. With food, it is never you get what you pay for. There is no correlation between price and quality.

Two courses £22.95, three courses £26.95. For three of us, my treat, £68.85. Ouch!

Although the food was good, we agreed, poor value for money.

Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Visited Washingborough Hall for a Christmas lunch with my Dad. The entrance hall was decked for Christmas completely in keeping with the building and generated exactly the right atmosphere. The service was excellent, the festive menu choices small but with something for everyone. A choice of two or three courses, fixed price. The food was excellent too. We sat back in the reception area for coffee next to the wood burning stove and could have stayed all afternoon. Definitely be back.