“Great waves, stay somewhere else.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Las Salinas
Two Brothers Surf Resort
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Leaving Two Brothers Surf Resort was very sad. Not because I felt a connection with the overpriced and uncultured feel of the "family" oriented resort, but because I couldn't help but think about the local employees who were constantly being disrespected by Robert, the owner. I have studied and traveled to many different places and have learned about many different cultures. I have always wondered about where the bad reputation that seems to follow Americans abroad comes from. Now, I feel as if I know. Robert has got to be the most arrogant and disrespectful person I have met. Every interaction between him and his employees made me uncomfortable and embarrassed. In front of his employees, some of whom speak English, he would make statements such as, "None of them can even sign their names. I have to do it for them." Unlike Robert, I speak Spanish and was able to speak with his employees who are all very ambitious. Some have attended university, yet Robert doesn't believe that they can sign their name. How demeaning? It was disgusting to hear all of this, to say the least. Financially speaking, you should be aware that you are responsible for paying his employees...I guess it is in the fine print somewhere, but it was a surprise to my family and the other couple staying at Two Brothers. His employees are very nice people who despise him. If you stay here, expect to surf and do nothing else. There are no other activities available and if there are no waves expect to feel like a prisoner. Schedule-wise, everything is very strict. If you are looking forward to exploring, remember that Robert will not let you forget the time you were two minutes late. Power outages are very common and it will get hot at night. Also, there are many bugs that swarm in the houses because they are able to crawl underneath the doors. Overall, this place was overpriced and unwelcoming.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank MStalb
TwoBrothers, Owner at Two Brothers Surf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

We would like to address some items in this review that are not accurate:

Education of our workers… Our entire staff is from the local surrounding villages. They have all attended local village schools and yes can read and write simply. While they are all very hard working, none have had the opportunity to go to university, but we are currently paying for the younger brother of our chef to attend university and we constantly bring Spanish language books, backpacks and school supplies to our workers and their children from the states. Nicaragua has been ravished by earthquakes and revolutions and there are entire generations of Nicaraguans that are illiterate.

Pay… Of course we pay our workers or they would not continue to work for us for the past 8 years. We also loan them money when needed, contribute to their children’s education, provide medical assistance, provide bicycles and gas for their motos when needed. They receive regular pay, double pay on holidays, vacation pay and security pay.

The only part of our staff that does not receive a regular salary are our surf guides – which is typical to all of the surf camps – they work on tips alone and it is outlined very clearly on our website.

Scheduling… We are a surf camp and yes if you stay with us all inclusive – do expect to do nothing other than surf (and fish) – that is the very reason why people book with a surf camp. There are no shops, cafes, or even real town to speak of – it is a very rural (and very poor) Nicaraguan village that just happens to be in the epicenter of some amazing and consistent surf. The schedule for surfing IS regimented (around the tides) and that allows everyone in the group to have access to the best waves of the day – certainly if the guest is surfed out or tired they can chose to sit out any session, but it is not fair to the other guests to not be on time. Being on time for an early morning surf session many times means that the captain is up at 4AM preparing the boat and the chef is in the kitchen soon after preparing the food – much sacrifice and preparation goes on in the early morning hours to ensure our guests get to the waves when the waves are the best.

Culture and price… culture comes in all forms and the particular brand of culture found in Nicaragua is a culture rich in Latin traditions and food and family life, a history of poverty and political battles and perseverance. Perhaps there are no museums to visit or shops to buys things, but my suggestion to this guest would have been to use her Spanish and get to know the chef as he cooked in the kitchen – ask him how to make the traditional Nicaraguan dishes, ask him about his life during the revolution, as him about the cockfighting ring in his back yard – All of this is the culture of Nicaragua and it was all standing three feet from her in the kitchen.

Price… we are the most affordable surf camp option of our level in Nicaragua. If price is ever an issue, we also offer the villas very affordably as self-catering. Many families take this route so that they can be on their own schedule.

Bugs… Yes there are bugs in the tropics, especially at the onset of the rainy season when all the bugs that have lain dormant in the dry season, hatch and migrate. The many, many caterpillars become clouds of butterflies. The ants become food for the geckos that inhabit the villas. The beetles grow to be the size of your hand. The bugs are cool and part of our everyday life in Nicaragua. We open wide the Indonesian temples doors that grace the entrance to each house and yes that lets life in, whether is be the occasional bat at night or horse during the day – but it also allows for an unfettered view of the entire pacific ocean and an unbelievable view of the stars reaching down to the horizon at night – a small (and interesting) price to pay for living life in Nicaragua.

Power outages… We have them. Everybody in Nicaragua has them. It is not an isolated event when that happens. What is the worst effect of a power outage? You eat dinner by candlelight and you open your windows to sleep… Luckily the villas are set on a hill that has an amazing wind blowing and the temperature drops to the 70’s in the evening. The stars, which are amazing at night anyway, become an amazing sight with zero light pollution. Sometimes I wish the power would go out more often.

The entire staff works very hard to ensure that each guest has a stay that is very comfortable and that they feel welcome in Nicaragua. We have a very loving and loyal staff that has been with us for 6 to 8 years, who are very proud of their jobs at Two Brothers. They are dependable, hardworking, and truly an extended part of our family in Nicaragua. Two Brothers would not function without them. Yes the owner is intense, but its that kind of intensity that keeps our guests safe when other camps are having problems, it’s that kind of intensity that has power and water restored when everyone else it out, it is that kind of intensity that carved roads into a mountain of rock, and that kind of intensity that surfs 30 foot waves and swims the boat to shore when the motor quits. Admire him or dislike him – but please do not discount that Two Brothers truly is a beautiful work of art and architecture, the staff at Two Brothers are wonderful, and the consistent surf in Nicaragua is unmatched. Most of our clients come from referrals and we have return guests year after year. We invite you to read the rest of the reviews and contact other guests to ask their candid opinions.

There are newer reviews for Two Brothers Surf Resort

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My girlfriend and I took our first trip to Nicaragua and stayed here for a week. We were able to book the rooms on short notice of only two weeks. Susan, Robert and the family made it easy and enjoyable to stay here. The whole resort was beautiful and cottage we stayed in "El Rancho" on the hill was clean and well equipped with cooking supplies. Robert had plenty of surfboards to rent and was very motivated to get us out into the good waves on his boat. He also provided good advice on the different breaks, places to eat, and places to avoid. The entry road is steep and believe them when they tell you to get a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I'm looking forward to coming back and staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I'm a 52 yr. old from N.Y. who started surfing 8 years ago when my kid's began. I took two of my children, my daughter ,21,and son ,19, on a special trip this year to Nicaragua. We stayed in Popoyo at Two Brothers Surf Resort for six days with owner , Robert Gregory, and we did the all inclusive option.
We were there to surf and the first 4 of the 6 days were off shore and 4 ft , 17 second period, so it was a good swell. Robert took us to different spots ,some by boat and some by 4 wheels. He wanted to show us the local breaks and it was a great introduction. Some spots were a bit too heavy for me but good to experience however it did mean not catching waves at times which was frustrating. That was only a couple of times. Most of the time we found fun waves that we could play with. My son loved Santana for its fast beach break and my daughter and I loved Playgrounds for the long lefts that were great to practice carving turns. My regular footed son also had a blast there with a quick empty right, off the peak. Our guide was Andres, who was most helpful and knew the kind of waves we each preferred and he didn't take our waves.
The accomodations were spatious. The rooms clean, beds comfortable, and there was A.C. and hot water showers aside from a couple of blackouts which made it interesting and it reminded you that It is a 3rd world country. Ofcourse if the power goes, a cold shower is needed to cool off so it all works out.
The views from the top of the hill were breathtaking in every direction day or night. The grounds were well manicured and the pool was delightful .
The food prepared each day by the chef and his helper was so delicious that we really looked forward to the next meals. They even found food for my extremely picky son.
Great food, surf, accommodations, spectacular views, but to me , the best part of our trip was getting to know the owner ,Robert Gregory, his staff, and the two wonderful couples that were also doing the all inclusive option. We really got to know everyone because we spent each of three meals together as well as surfed side by side. The conversations over the meals on the hill (location of dining area inside Roberts house) became intense at times. The owner ,Robert is an interesting character to say the least. Honestly he is a bit rough around the edges but by the end of the trip I learned to appreciate his knowledge, and value his opinion,. He definitely grew on me (though ,not my daughter) because I had a different view of him the first couple of days .He has surfed and lived all over and the experiences have shaped him. I believe he found his little slice of heaven so even though running the resort looks like a challenge it does allow him to keep his dream going.
Unfortunately , we never got to meet his wife and children, but the staff spoke so highly of them.
Downside to trip is there isn't much to do at night in Popoyo as my 21 yr old daughter was hoping for some culture and excitement but we were completely beat by 9 pm and had to be up early for surf .The all inclusive is quite regimented so you have to be of that mindset.
I know I want to return to Popoyo to surf as Robert at Two Brothers gave us a great introduction. I'm not sure we would do the all inclusive at Two Brothers because it was expensive having to pay for three. I would absolutely recommend it though as a first time family introduction to nic surfing for sure. We ate well, were comfortable, and got to know all the spots thanks to Robert and the knowledgeable and most helpful guides.
If i were to go solo with friends, or my kids had jobs, I would go back to Two Brothers all inclusive in a heartbeat.
Enjoy, Jeff

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank eileen1015
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This place has it all. My wife and I took our 2 year old along for his first adventure outside the U.S. and thanks to the accomodations at 2 Brothers, we all had an amazing experience. It seemed a bit risky taking along a child so young, but the resort was perfect for all of us. After having a look around the Popoyo area, it was obvious that we had made the right choice by staying at 2 Brothers. My wife and I agreed that even if we didn't have a child with us, 2 Brothers is the only way to go. American qualitly and standard all the way! Everything that is posted on their website is accurate, and Robert and Susan are more than helpful in sharing their local know-how with their guests. The only true resort in the area. Everything else is either a hotel or hostel type of accommodation. The surf was amazing, the weather was perfect, and all 3 of us will return to 2 Brothers again! If you want to surf in Nica, 2 Brothers will deliver everytime!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My family and I are seasoned lifelong travelers and adventurers. We fell in love with Nicaragua. Though it's a very poor country, we discovered that it has the nicest and happiest people in the world.
Each place we visited had its own special adventure and we quickly learned to enjoy getting lost.
Of all of our experiences, none was better than our time at Two Brothers Surf Resort, in the magnificence of the Pacific Ocean and the beach at Popoyo. We are already planning our next trip there.
Two Brothers Surf Lodge sits at the top of a big hill overlooking endless fields of farmland on one side and the ocean on the other. It's owned and run by the Gregorys, an expat American family that spends a large part of each year living on the premises. Each house is a beautiful work of architecture, built by hand by the local craftsmen. Ours, Familia, was the biggest and was perfect for our family of five. It was the house the Gregorys lived in while they finished construction on the main house. We could feel the love put into building this place. Everything had a story.
Traveling around, some of the places we went to required roughing it just a little. Nicaragua is still very much a developing nation. Arriving at Two Brothers resort was a respite from that. It was like staying with friends who share their beautiful home with you, take care of you and guide you around. Robert, Susan, Marsh and Augie Gregory treated us like we were their friends. They are one of the nicest and most interesting families we have ever met. Every day, each one of them stopped by to check in on us and shared stories and information about the area. They have a strong vested interest in the community and care about everyone in it.
Our main activity each day was surfing. The waves were always perfect, with a complete range of spots for different levels of ability. Marsh, who gave lessons to our children, routinely surfs 30 foot waves on the outer reef. The beach was always empty, save for one or two surfers; the water was clear and warm. Overall, it was one of the most beautiful spots on earth.
If there is a complaint to be made, it's that outside of Two Brothers, there are few amenities in the area. That said, it's also part of the charm. Just the right balance is struck between having an unspoiled, undeveloped area and having enough services to make the stay manageable. There are some restaurants but we only liked one of them. We became friends with the waitress. LIkewise, there was only one small shop to buy food and sundries. We happened to go there on a day when they were having a party, People were dancing and taking turns beating a pinata. They offered us some of the candy. It was a real and unfiltered experience. This is why we went to Nicaragua in the first place.
Compared to the other places in the area, Two Brothers is in a class by itself. It's a place where the owners take tremendous pride and put tremendous love into what they do. Living there is the gift Robert and Susan give to their sons, Marsh and Augie. While we were there, we were part of it too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2012

What a great place to stay! The owner is great and always go above and beyond to make everyone's stay great. The staff is very friendly and are would recomendend it to everyone. I think two brothers resort is BY FAR the best place to stay in Nicaragua!!
Thanks
Viktoriya

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Our stay at Two Brothers Surf Resort exceeded our expectations. The resort compound on top of Bean Hill was a great base for our daily excursions. The ocean view from the pool deck is spectacular. It was also a great tool because 6 different surf breaks were visible from that location which helped plan surfing activities. A pleasant surprise was the stunning valley view from the same location. We are not sure which view we liked most; both were inspiring at all times of the day.

The Villa was very comfortable with air conditioning and a fully equipped kitchenette. Morning coffees on the patio were enhanced with sounds and appearances of Turquiose-browed Motmots, Squirrel Cuckoos, Banded Wrens, Stripe-headed Sparrows, White-throated Magpie Jays, Hoffman's Woodpeckers, Black-headed Trogons, and Orange-fronted Parakeets. Howler monkeys were also heard and seen in the riverine forest below.

The surfing was fantastic! Robert always provided great advice on where to surf depending on the tide, swell and wind conditions. We spent most of our time surfing with Auggie, the Gregory's youngest son, who did an outstanding job guiding us at all the different surf breaks. We felt safe and confident because of his knowledge and expertise.

Our vacation at Two Brothers was a great experience. The Gregory's are an extraordinary family. They are also gracious hosts willing to share their Nicaragua lifestyle and expertise with their quests. We definetly plan on returning.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Hotel Punta Teonoste
La Jolla Hotel
La Jolla Hotel
#1 of 1 in Popoyo

Been to Two Brothers Surf Resort? Share your experiences!