“Sublime”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orford
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Sublime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

To quote my very well-traveled boyfriend, "This is the best hotel I've stayed in". That says it all. If you want the perfect rural getaway where you feel welcomed and totally spoilt then this ticks all the boxes.

Room Tip: 31 is beautiful, with a gorgeous bathroom and castle views from the patio doors, which lead onto you...
Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
We love your well-travelled boyfriend! What a discerning person he must be. Seriously, thank you so much for the wonderful review. We are very grateful and hope we can welcome you both back soon. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Bury St Edmunds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

We had two great nights at the Crown and Castle.
Very friendly and warm welcome from the staff, the property is nicely decorated through out. The bedroom had a super king size bed, massive bathroom and lovely high ceilings, it was tastfully equiped.
The one thing that could be improved on, is the size of the Tv, with the size of the bedroom the Tv needs to be larger.
The food in the restaurant was very tasty

Room Tip: Try and upgrade for a sea view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you so much for posting your very kind review. We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay – and the food. I do take your point about our televisions being quite small (except in the Suite and Best Terrace rooms). It's a combination of fashion (the sizing has gone berserk in the last few years) and the fact that we only buy TVs with built-in DVD. This has the advantage of not involving numerous boxes and remote controls to baffle and annoy guests, but does mean the size is somewhat restricted. We are replacing many of the TVs this year, and the size will go up a bit, but I'm afraid we will never have wall-to-wall screens. (We recommend looking at the lovely, quiet, non-inane views instead!)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

So a hotel run by a TV hotel critic! Tempted though I was to run my finger along a picture rail in search of poor housekeeping, I fell in love with this place from the off. The front of house team are without exception delightful and made every effort to make us welcome and to ensure we had a relaxed and comfortable stay.
We ate well in the convivial restaurant and slept solidly in the large comfortable bed with perfect pillows. The decor in the rooms is a bit jaded but that was easily overlooked as the overall experience was just what we were after - a relaxed and comfortable weekend without the kids.

Oh and what an idyllic setting.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
But I am not!! My stint as the Hotel Inspector was aeons ago, and even then it was to help the poor hoteliers (however gruesome) do a better job, rather than criticise their taste. Protest aside, how very sweet of you to write such a glowing report of the C&C. We are really grateful. I did email via Trip to ask you which room you stayed in – your identity has remained stubbornly incognito despite our best efforts – as I would genuinely love to know so we can put the refurbishment at the top of our rolling list of works-to-do. If you read this, please do let us know as we don't want any rooms to appear jaded and there's a glass of champagne in it for you. Thank you again for such a nice review.
Thirsk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

We have had The Crown & Castle on our radar for quite some time, having enjoyed Ruth's TV programmes, The Hotel Inspector and Country House Rescue. She obviously knows her onions where hospitality is concerned! Unfortunately though, my husband was diagnosed with lung and bowel cancer three years ago and that put paid to any thoughts of trips away. However, thanks to the wonderful service and treatment from the NHS, he is well on the road to recovery, albeit minus a few bits and bobs, and felt able to tackle a few days away - our first outing away from home in three years! As our wedding anniversary was looming, it gave us the excuse to make the trip south and enjoy the ambience and hospitality of The Crown & Castle, and the lovely, delightful, Orford. What a gem! We were not disappointed in any way.

From the outset when I telephoned the Crown, four days before we arrived, the receptionist, Jo, couldn't have been more helpful, when I had to explain about my husband. We were allocated the Best Terrace room which faces the magnificent Orford Castle. It was ideal for our needs and is a delightful room with a fabulous bathroom. The peace and quiet was just the ticket! We were able to park very close by, also most helpful.

We stayed for three nights, enjoying delicious breakfasts and evening meals. The food was first class and it's nice to know that it is all locally sourced. Being northern, we have hearty appetites and I can say that we were more than amply satisfied! No one could ever claim they were left hungry!

The staff were excellent - all very friendly and helpful. Lots of smiling faces. Tim is a man of many talents, morning, noon and night - receptionist, porter, waiter and TV engineer! A smashing chap.

We were extremely fortunate with the weather. It was quite warm and sunny and we were able to enjoy seeing the castle bathed in glowing morning sunlight and, in the evening, the sun set behind the castle. Brings out the romantic in me!

The little cup cake with a lighted candle and a few chocolates on our anniversary, was a really nice, thoughtful touch. Thank you.

We shall definitely return! Well worth our 247 mile journey.

Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
It's wonderful to hear that you and your husband had a really relaxing break at the C&C, especially after three years without a treat! Thank you for the compliments about Tim, Jo and the rest of the staff - it's good to hear that you felt so well looked after by everyone. We can't take any credit for the truly lovely weather but very glad that the food, room and other little details came up to scratch. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back on a future occasion.
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

Thank you once again for a fantastic stay - we only live in Norwich, so only about an hour away, but by far the best place in the Suffolk/Norfolk area, for a quick "mini break". We have been several times before and it never fails to please. The food, wines, service & rooms are all great. My husband's calves liver with polenta was amazing, and the stuffed baby squid was equally delicious, and that's without mentioning the very drinkable Chateauneuf du Pape! We also had fantastic weather this weekend and also discovered The Smokehouse (located down a very quite little lane in the village) where we bought a "just out of the smokehouse" ham hock for dinner which smelt and tasted divine. We will definitely be back - I hope sooner rather than later! Both the management and all the staff are a complete credit to you - thank you!
Rachel & James Whittaker

Room Tip: Garden rooms are great if you like the advantage of having an area outside to sit in, however the 2...
Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you very much indeed for your wonderful report, not least that you made yourself known. I am longing for the day that TripAdvisor realises its site would have far more validity if all reviewers had to give their real name. Rather more important than my carping about anonymity, we are always delighted to welcome you to the C&C and are so pleased that we continue to come up to standard. Thank you again, and we hope to see you soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I were lucky enough to be given a weekend away as a gifr. After hours of searching different locations we decided upon this little gem of a place, and how glad we are that we did!

The weather this weekend has been stunning and emphasised the beautiful setting of the hotel. We really cannot fault the place from the gorgeous bedroom (we stayed in room 1) to the wonderful staff who really go out of their way to ensure a comfortable stay. The breakfasts and dinners were top notch and it was a lovely touch to arrive on Friday afternoon and have a couple of drinks in front of the roaring open fire. We also loved the fact that the hotel is dog friendly and we loved meeting all the dogs staying there this weekend.

The only negative for us is that we couldn't have stayed longer and enjoyed the wonderful hospitality more!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
We are really delighted that you enjoyed your stay, despite your initial trepidation! Thank you very much indeed for reviewing us so nicely, and also liking the fact we welcome dogs as well as human beings. (In moderation - the dogs, I mean.) We do hope you will return on a future date although we can't promise the weather will be quite so stunning as it has been recently. Thank you again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

The Crown and Castle is somewhere my husband and I have been wanting to experience for the last few years and we were finally able to get there this weekend to celebrate my husbands 40th birthday. And it didn't disappoint.

We booked the suite and we have come away with ideas for our new home! It's a hotel room without feeling like you're in a hotel but still experiencing a well deserved treat, which is something I personally love. The furniture, the bed (where is that mattress from by the way?!), the soaps, fresh milk in a flask are all touches of the room which I'm sure makes the Crown and Castle somewhere that people want to return to. We personally loved the balcony soaking up the late afternoon sun.

The staff were attentive without being intrusive (I think everyone should have a Tim at home!) and were on hand to offer advice/recommendation when needed. Food was lovely and the breakfast was perfect portion sizes, having had a bit of everything that was offered for breakfast it made a change to ask for a full English and not be battling around the plate with a mound of food. Whatever the jam/chutney was on the table at breakfast it was delicious. I totally agree with no phones/iPad in the restaurant, my one and only thing that would have made it 100% is a little bit of a background music,
particularly in the evening, but that's personal taste. I think between the two of us we did pretty well with holding a conservation for nearly 3 hours! It was if one of us nipped to the loo it felt like who ever was left behind was intruding on the conversation of the diners next to you. Very much personal taste though and certainly not something that would put me off coming again. I'm just disappointed that, due to my pregnant state, I wasn't able to experience the seafood and wine. My husband however did and made a good effort of putting a dent in your wine cellar!

Orford itself is lovely too. Very pretty, quiet and peaceful. Can't wait to come back for another baby free weekend!

• Stayed March 2014
Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Your review is so lovely, so long and so appreciative, it's a marvel. We are glad you enjoyed the suite and all its facilities. (The mattress is Lansdowne Cashmere, made by Hypnos, by the way and if you do contact them, please mention our name. Our contact is Amy on 01159 732180.) Of course, we can't take any credit for the sun-soaked balcony, but it's good that you were able to enjoy it in mid-March.
Thank you for honouring our staff and I agree completely: every home should have a Tim! (He can cook, too!)
You mention a desire for background music, but I am afraid that's never going to happen. As I think I have said before (somewhere) it's nigh on impossible to play music that would be to everyone's taste, and the end result is that awful musak. But I am very pleased its absence won't be enough to deter you coming again.
Thank you again for such a wonderful review and we hope you will return post-pregnancy.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orford
The Brudenell Hotel
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
Hintlesham Hall
Hintlesham Hall
#1 of 1 in Hintlesham

Been to The Crown & Castle? Share your experiences!