The Crown & Castle
Wentworth Hotel(Aldeburgh)
$197
$191
$133
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa(Woodbridge)(Great Value!)
$89
$86
$113
Seckford Hall(Woodbridge)
$264
$144
The Orwell Hotel(Felixstowe)
$62
Satis House Hotel(Yoxford)(Great Value!)
$111
$133
All reviewsgarden roomorford nessruth watsonhotel inspectorwine liststeak and kidney piefresh milkcarpacciopotted shrimpsdog treatsoysterstrinity restaurantpre dinner drinksrestaurant with roomsbiscuitsmarmaladedog owners
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Phoned for a last minute reservation as hotel we had booked into proved to be very noisy. After being assured we would have a quiet room we arrived the following day to calm and tranquility.
A lovely friendly greeting on arrival, beautiful view from the room and a peaceful bar/lounge area where we could sit and enjoy a very pleasant glass of wine or two in front of a proper fire.
At the risk of sounding like a completely anti social person, it was lovely to have the bar open to residents only and have that time to unwind and enjoy the peace and quiet.
If like me, peace and quiet is what you want then The Crown and Castle is your place, the staff are friendly and there if you need them but don't bother you otherwise, the atmosphere is relaxed and calm, wine selection is marvellous and the food is delicious.
I can't wait to go back.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Props3, Owner at The Crown & Castle, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

We were delighted to be able to rescue you from the half-term hell of your previous hotel. In order to maintain a relatively tranquil ambience, we only welcome children of 8 years old or over in the hotel and for dinner – lunchtime is, quite rightly, open to all ages. However, I should just mention that our bar is open to all. In reality it is used mostly by restaurant guests rather than drinkers: in the summer months our terrace caters for those just wanting a drink, so again the hotel itself remains un-rowdy.

Anyway, it is very good to hear that your stay was a success and that you enjoyed the food and service, and had the relaxing time you had hoped for. We hope to welcome you back on another occasion - and thank you very much for your report.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We've just returned from our third visit to the Crown and Castle. What a lovely place to stay! Our room had a small terrace overlooking Orford Castle and was spacious and very well appointed - comfy chairs, plenty of storage space, a proper kettle rather than one of those cheap tiny plastic things and a bathroom to die for. The food was locally sourced and beautifully cooked. We could relax in the bar by a big open fire before supper with the redoubtable Ruth Watson bustling around making sure everything was as good as it possibly could be. Heavenly!

Room Tip: Room 31 has a terrific view of the castle.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your lively and positive review of the C&C, and for pointing out some of the features that separate us from a Premier Inn. (If it were down to me there wouldn't be any kettles in the room at all, but then I am not a tea-drinker.) We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, including the food. As for 'redoubtable', I suppose it's marginally better than my usual epithet, 'bossy' !! We look forward to welcoming you back for your fourth visit, and thank you again.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We had a lovely couple of nights at this Hotel, the food was very good and they did,nt mind doing
an alternative if there was some thing you wanted,I love puddings and there was a lot of ice cream
on menu which I am not fond of (in Febuary) so they made me treacle tart!
The next night was my birthday and again they made something different, also they bought a cup cake
with a candle in it! I did mention it was my birthday when booking, but only because its the day before valentines and they might be busy, but they remebered.
Spoke to Ruth Watson when booking and she was lovely, you can tell a woman designed the room by the little extra touches.

Room Tip: We had good house double which is in main building overlooking road which is very quiet and has nice view.
2  Thank Patricia G

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your birthday stay and for pointing out that we do try to be helpful when it comes to the menu. (By the way, there are always 4 or 5 non-ice cream desserts on the a la carte as well as two flavours of home-made ice cream and two flavours of home-made sorbet.) We hope you will return to enjoy the delights of Orford on another occasion.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We had a wonderful stay, dinner and breakfast.
What can really make the difference to me when having a meal in a restaurant, apart from cleanliness, atmosphere, ambience and excellent food and wine, is the service. This can make me give it a '10 out of 10', and until now this has only happened abroad in France or in The Netherlands.
Our dinner at The Crown was perfect, a missed fork was spotted and replaced without me having to ask for it (a small thing I know but it makes all the difference to me), there was no loud/intrusive background music and the atmospheric lighting and other customers made for a lovely atmosphere. The service was excellent and unobtrusive.
Our room was lovely and warm and spotlessly clean with a nice view.
There was a good selection tea and coffee, very nice biscuits and fresh milk. The toiletries and soap were very nice. The selection of DVDs was excellent.
We had the feeling of always being able to ask for anything ( well, almost anything).
So I give our whole experience a '10 out of 10', thank you!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank marmarhen

We are very grateful for your delightful review of the C&C. I am not entirely sure we deserve 10 out of 10, but it's nice to think that occasionally we can hit the heights. Most of all, though, it's lovely to hear that you appreciated and enjoyed so many aspect of your stay from the food and service to the toiletries and lack of background music - the latter always being a contentious subject! (But I agree with you, which is why we don't have any.) We very much hope that a return visit will live up to expectations! Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We have stayed at the hotel many times over the past 7/8 years and always had a fantastic experience. I can't praise the place enough! The ambience is very relaxed but efficient and the staff are always friendly and smiling. Being veggie, we often have a problem in restaurants and hotels with little choice, but the Crown & Castle has over the past few years introduced a separate veggie menu with a good variety of both starters and main courses and we have always eaten really well. The wine list is consistently interesting and the staff are always happy to recommend a good bottle to accompany your meal. We have stayed in the main house and the suite (for a special birthday once) and all rooms are generously proportioned with very comfortable beds and great showers. This part of Suffolk is great walking country, pretty flat but never boring, so if you find yourself in this area, the Crown & Castle is THE place to stay and eat.

Room Tip: The best house doubles are the best option with fabulous views over the rooftops of the village with the enigmatic Orford Ness and Ore Estuary in the distance.
1  Thank Andrew R

We not only thank you for the frequency of your visits but for telling the great wide world about the Crown and Castle. It really is very kind of you and we appreciate it. We are so pleased we come up to snuff in the hospitality, food, wine and accommodation stakes because that, after all, is what a decent hotel is all about. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.