All reviews country house halibut guinea fowl pre dinner drinks sitting room the main house course dinner open fire relaxing weekend county limerick four poster bed lovely atmosphere tea coffee both nights porridge from start to finish top class
Selected filters
Reviewed March 22, 2019 via mobile

Spacious rooms, good bed. Lovely staff and the food is very well. It was not a problem for me but the rooms were a bit noisy. But the house is very old so probably can’t be avoided. Breakfast is excellent. It was a very nice stay.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2019

Cosy and friendly with excellent food. No pretension just excellent fare and service. Old world funky mixed arty environment. Furthest from its catholic home origins. Did I mention the food! The blond said best starter ever in the salmon gravlax - her words were "perfection".
Definitely going back.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2019

My husband and I stayed at the Mustard Seed in February for one night on my daughter's recommendation. It is the perfect spot for a winter break . We were welcomed with a smile and a hot cup of tea and delicious home-made shortbread before being shown to our beautiful room in the main house - a lovely Victorian building that once upon a time had been a convent. Convent austerity has given way to warmth, luxury and a pleasing decorative ambience.

We had a cocktail in front of the fire before dinner and then tucked into the most delicious meal. Great food cooked with imagination and flair and beautifully presented. Breakfast the next morning was equally good, especially the home-baked brown bread.

Thank you John Edward and your lovely staff for giving us such a delightful stay. The Mustard Seed's reputation is well deserved and didn't disappoint!

Room tip: The rooms in the main house are full of character, warm and beautifully decorated. The bed was large and very comfortable
Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2019

We booked for me, my brother, parents, and my granny. It was a thoroughly relaxing break, much needed by those of us who are still working. The staff could not have been more helpful. Every request and whim was dealt with and never a problem.

I had requested that granny get a ground floor room that had a walk in shower as her mobility is not what it used to be. We were given a lovely big room on the ground floor for her(11A) beside a staircase that led up to just two bedrooms. One was directly above and looked out over the village and Knockfierna (Room below had the same view) and the other room had an outlook over the courtyard at the back (partial view only). these rooms were in the extension and were lovely quiet rooms. My parents had a big, spacious room in the main house which was equally lovely.

Breakfasts were good hearty ones with fresh fruit, yoghurt, copious amounts of toast, and whatever you wanted from the hot cooked menu. Granny didn't want a full irish breakfast but her request for just some bacon, tomato and an egg was accommodated without a fuss.

Food in general was delicious. i would particularly recommend the squid starter and the champagne and apple cordial!

While the main entrance has no wheelchair accessibility, there are a few doors with accessibility so it has accessibility from that point of view.

A great time was had by everyone and John, Breda and all the staff made us feel very relaxed and welcome.

Room tip: If in doubt about anything do not hesitate to give them a ring. They will happily make suggestions and your requests will be accommodated.
Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2019 via mobile

My girlfriend and I booked into The Mustard Seed to celebrate ringing in the new year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We booked in for dinner (4 courses and a glass of champagne included in quoted price) and a one night stay. The room was excellent value for what we got, it was spacious, comfortable, very warm and well maintained/decorated. The food was delicious and the set price meal offered a generous amount of choice. There was entertainment provided after dinner, both from guests staying the night, and a booked duo who were impressive and very friendly, we we're lucky enough to win a voucher for a tasting dinner. The staff were all professional, friendly and very accommodating to our requests. I would highly recommend a visit, even if considering dinner alone. The New Year's event was a great success and would suit any of those looking for a fun, quieter way of celebrating. I look forward to returning.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple