“A must stay for the weary and vacationing traveler.”

The Mustard Seed at Echo Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballingarry
Reviewed July 10, 2014

My wife and I were on our honeymoon, traveling the south of Ireland enjoying the landscape. We drove into Adare, Ireland. We stopped into the tourist information office to find out the best place to stay. Quickly, the woman behind the counter was super helpful and made some suggestions. We quickly decided on a B&B, in Ballingarry. As we approached, which by the way was not just up the road as the woman at the office stated. You need a GPS to get here, especially if you are not familiar with the area. As we entered the drive up to house, on the left you see a beautiful garden, with a water feature that was not operational, but nontheless a majestic estate. As we entered, you walk through a large grand wooden door, fully open, as if you were walking into an old southern plantation, as I visualize it. Inviting as it was grand. Antique furniture and paintings blanketed the home. We were asked to see Daniel, the proprietor of the Mustard Seed. Soon enough we meet up with Daniel, a jolly of a man, large smile and inviting demeanor who was prepping some fresh from the garden gooseberries for the next mornings breakfast. Quickly, we are in conversation and feel like I had known him for years. He showed us his place, what he had to offer, and the rooms available. Both me and my new wife loved it! The Mustard Seed had its own garden where they grow a lot of the food they cook and pride themselves in buying local for their proteins. We settled into our room and took a nice tour of the house and its grounds. The house was located in a quiet neighborhood. We had a early day that day, we decided to sit out front overlooking the large yard and garden on some wooden, padded lounge chairs. It was a cool, early evening, with the sun in western sky and a beautiful blue sky. We were sitting there enjoying the moment, we accidentally took a short nap. It was amazing, refreshed, we awoke, went to dinner. It was a five course dinner. We met John, the manager, Thomas, the maitre-de, and Ashling, the waitress. It was an awsome dinner experience. We did not feel like strangers. Breakfast the next morning was just the same. My wife had irish porridge with Jameson whiskey, she loved it. She stated it was some of the best porridge she has had. I had the irish breakfast, it also was great. I had some of the flakiest, most tender, aromatic, and best tasting blood sausage. Understanding that blood sausage consists of sheeps blood. Daniel, John, Thomas, and Ashling, thank you for your hard work and great exprience. We fully recommend The Mustard Seed if you are ever in the area and need a quiet, exquisite place to feel at home, fill your belly, sleep, and rest your head.

Room Tip: We were able to see a couple of rooms, the choices were the front and the back. We stayed in the ba...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Juan M

Reviewed June 25, 2014

This place is just beautiful. I booked in with my two Jack Russell's and we were all made extremely welcome by the host, Dan. The room was lovely and doors opened out on to the front gardens, extra handy with the dogs, but also perfect for taking advantage of the super weather to just open up and sit out. I had dinner as well and the food lived up to previous reviews. A wonderful selection of half bottle wines was particularly welcome. The house would be lovely to visit out of season as well, as the reception rooms looked lovely and well set up for staying in should it be dark or the weather not great. I wish I had had more time to spend!

Room Tip: Call and mention if you wasn't to bring your canine family members. This allows Dan to allocate...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank alshakesby
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

Delicious food, beautiful surroundings and suburb service. Thanks to Dan, John and all the staff at The Mustard Seed for a great night. The duck was cooked to perfection. Looking forward to my next visit. Would recommend to everyone.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Annie C
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Wife Ingrid hated rugby until she discovered that the Mustard Seed was part of the deal of going with me to Limerick. Owner Dan Mullane has created a gem of hospitality in the village of Ballingarry a few miles from Adare, which is worth a visit on its own merits - beware the traffic at busy times!
Breakfast and dinner are a treat and the rooms beautifully decorated with a lot of memories from Dan's trips to Thailand. Dan is ably supported by John who makes sure that the high standards are maintained. This is something that should not be missed whether visiting from abroad or just being in the Limerick area for business or pleasure.
It is a member of Ireland's Blue Book

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ghook
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We stayed here our first two days in Ireland after landing at Shannon airport - we landed early, but had no trouble checking in at 1 pm, and grabbing a quiet nap before touring the grounds and gardens where some of the food is grown. The restaurant here is superb: although we only had booked dinner for one night we ended up eating here both nights. The second night we also hosted some relatives after dinner for drinks and dessert in a nice sitting room downstairs, this worked out great! All of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and, although a bit of a splurge, we'd stay here again on a next trip to the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank kenyonia
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Had a very special birthday treat dinner here. First time in the Mustard Seed what can I say. The welcome was so friendly and warm. Fires lighting beautiful drawing rooms to sit and relax whilst looking at the menu. Food beautiful great wine menu front of house staff so professional John was so friendly. Menu was superb huge choice. Wine menu fantastic..... Definitely returning next time for an overnight stay.......

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Louise B
Reviewed June 4, 2014

What a wonderful and charming hotel.
It si located in a beautiful property surrounded by trees not very far away from Limerick.
Since we arrived we knew that not only the hotel was what we were lookink for a relaxing afternoon but the service would be outstanding and it was!
I had a thai massage which was one of the best I've ever had in all of my trips.
When I finished it, Dan the owner,brought me a cup of herb tea (picked freshly from his orchard)
The diner was superb, everything we ordered was delicious and well presented in a charming atmosphere.
The service everywhere at the hotel is outstanding, you can see that Dan is after every little detail, he picks up flowers from his garden for us to take it to our rooms.
The rooms were very nice, each one is diferent from the other and ours was big and with a great bathroom.
The next day as we said our goodbyes, Dan heard that we were going to see the Moher Cliffs and he gave me a free pass for the whole family to visit....
This small details make a huge a difference in any trip!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballingarry
Dunraven Arms Hotel
#3 of 20 in Limerick
Absolute Hotel
Absolute Hotel
#1 of 20 in Limerick

Been to The Mustard Seed at Echo Lodge? Share your experiences!