“All is well that ends well!”
Review of Neo Holiday Home

Neo Holiday Home
Ranked #1 of 15 Katunayake B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I used to book all my hotel rooms through AGODA website but after my generous patronage of almost 100 transactions since 2007 I am resolved to stop dealing with them following a really bad experience from their customer service agents. This time, I used Booking.com to look for a place to stay near the airport. At first, I found Kazzava Airport Villa and when I was about to complete the booking I came accross one review which mentioned that the writer will only stay there if no room is avaiable at Neo Holiday Homes. I immediately checked other reviews about Neo Holiday Home and was convinced that this is what I am really looking for. I booked one night before my flight to Maldives and another night before my final departure to Jeddah. Actually, in terms of price Kazzava Airport Villa is cheaper and the room comes with free breakfast but I chose Neo Holiday Home over Kazzava because of the better reviews given by previous guests. Before leaving Dambulla for Colombo I asked the guest house owner to call Neo Holiday Home to ask for direction to the hotel and check the status of my booking since I did not receive any confirmation from them unlike the hotels I booked online . Amanda assured that my booking is confirmed and that she will send somebody to meet me at the Seeduwa juction when I call them after getting off the airport bus. It was already past 10 p.m. when I reached Seeduwa junction so I requested the bus conductor to call the hotel. I was surprised and a bit disappointed when the guy on the phone said there's no one to meet me and I should take a tuktuk which I did. At the reception I was offered a welcome drink and waited impatiently. Shortly, Amanda came to inform that there is no room available since the room reserved for me accidentally had a leak. They tried to call a plumber to fix the problem but without success. She was very apologetic and offered to take me to another hotel which is more expensive assuring that they will pay the difference in rate. I was very tired and hungry from the klong bus trip so I ordered some food which was served quickly at their dining area. Amanda learned that someone is checking out around midnight so I opted to stay and wait because it was raining then. To compensate for all the inconveniences she did not charge me for the dinner and was asked to pay only US $ 25 for the room. I was impressed to see how Amanda managed to handle a difficult situation which was completely out of her control. With her sincerity and humility and professionalism I instantly accepted her apology and appeal not to cancel my reservation for the other night. It was past midnight when the other guest checked out and after a few minutes I was escorted to my room. What a pleasant surprise to find a big and comfortable bed with immaculately clean linens and fragrant pillows. There was a 32-inch LCD TV on the wall which kept me busy watching Discovery Channel and BBC News, a wooden table and chair. The toilet and bathroom was so clean and hot water is available. They provided sparkling white bath and face towels, soap, shampoo and complimentary bottled mineral water. The floor tiles are shiny and even the walls are newly painted. The room decor and curtain are simple but beautiful. However, there is something wrong with the layout of the shower area since the floor is elevated, hence, the entire toilet floor becomes wet. I was able to leave my big luggage at the reception for safekeeping when I checked out the following day.

Coming back to Neo Holiday Home on the eve of my final departure, I was dropped off by the airport bus at a different location so I could not find my way back to the hotel. I asked someone to call the hotel then after a few minutes Amanda came with her husband to meet me outside the Bantex factory. The was assigned the same room and everything went smoothly. By the way, the Wi-Fi inside the room was very fast and stable. I was able to upload photos, read and send mail without spending lots of time online.

Will I stay again at Neo Holiday Home on my next visit to Sri Lanka? Definitely! Will I recommend this property to my friends, relatives and other tourists? Of course, I will! For a fraction of the cost of upscale hotels one will definitely find excellent value for money with the decent facilities of Neo Holiday Home, not to mention the genuine hospitality of Amanda, her husband, her mother, and all the staff. The proximity of the hotel to the airport is definitely a strong selling point as well. I only paid LKR 200 for the tuktuk ride to the airport. I read somewhere that another guest managed to pay LKR 80 only but you need to harness your bargaining skills.

Some suggestions: 1) Please make souvenir items like T-shirts, etc. available at the Reception Area for the convenience of your guests to save them the trouble of making a trip to Negombo/Colombo to do some shopping 2) Complimentary coffee and tea and electric kettle inside the room would be a good idea to add value and attract more clients (or you can add the cost to the bill).

Thanks a lot, Amanda, for being a gracious host. I made the right decision in staying at Neo Holiday Home during my short holiday in Sri Lanka.

Room Tip: The room away from the reception area is quiet, I was able to sleep peacefully.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank pinoytraveller2
There are newer reviews for Neo Holiday Home

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Hotel very near to airport, only ten minutes travel to airport, ideal for transit, Small rooms for good price, Rooms were noisy till evening as construction of first floor is going on, good restaurant options around the hotel, we stayed for one night, Rooms were clean & tidy, only con was air con temp was not able to adjust.

Room Tip: rooms away from reception are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2013

A nice close to the aiport located family run hotel. Perfect for travellers that have to catch or arrive from a night flight and want to have some rest.The staff is extremely friendly and helpful (Amanda and her mother are just adorable)! Rooms and bathrooms are not big but clean (bring your own hairdryer as there is none in the room). Overall absolutely worth the money. We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Birgitta S
Reviewed September 13, 2013

this is a new hotel and under 3km from the airport and on the main 187 airport bus route.
Currently some building going on and metal bars were being thrown on the roof of my room making an almighty noise and the set up of the rooms, provides no insulation from any other noise going on around you. I did get an email before arriving providing the contact number which was helpful, as I did get lost and got off the wrong bus stop.
Cheaper to leave hotel, walk towards main road and get your Tuk tuk to the airport (400RS), then the price quoted by hotel (500). I would use this again as a start or end to a visit to Sri Lanka.

Room Tip: the place is too small and all rooms subject to occassional noise
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank phoenbix2b
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The place is located close to the airport (taxi cost is 1000 LKR). Rooms are very clean, but quite small. Sound isolation is poor (due to grid over the door) and it sometime makes the room noisy (when other guest are coming). Staff (one guy) is very helpful, but too prying and intrusive. We were grateful that the guy wanted to help, but also tired because he was interested in every single thing we were doing. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank knapiki4
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed here for 01 night before my trip back home. Had a wonderful stay and thank you to the staff for being helpful, accommodating and friendly! I arrived about 10pm at the bus stop as I took an airport bus directly from the Fort which cost me 100rupee (cheap) and the staff picked me up directly from the bus stop! The hotel staff were really helpful! They guide me how to get to the hotel by local transport from the Fort. The room was clean, neat and it feels like home! I enjoyed watching the tv too because they provided many international channels! The food was good too especially the fried noodles which I had for my late dinner! I will not forget the taste of the noodles!! The hotel staff also helped me to get a tuktuk for the transfer to the airport which only cost 300rupee (supposed to be around 500rupee). Overall, thank you for the team and I really enjoyed the hospitality from you. Well done! (thumbs up!)

Room Tip: They have total 4rooms only but I personally felt definately 4 rooms are the best ones! :-)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Eunice L
Reviewed July 28, 2013

After a horrendous flight and leaving the airport at 4am, all I could dream of was a warm and comfortable bed!
Within a 15 minute ride of the airport is the Neo Holiday Home, tucked up in a side street off the main road to Colombo.
Check in was dealt with easily, and the owners are up till the wee hours making sure everyone is checked in. When guests arrive without a booking (as some had done) the owners even managed to find them rooms close by.
The room itself was pristine white and clean. The flat screen TV had a vast array of channels, and the bed was massive and very comfortable.
The toilet was good, but the flush didn't work properly and there wasn't great ventilation either. That was the only down side.

Otherwise, I am so glad I chose to stay here on arrival. It made me relaxed and refreshed, and made me ready for my Sri Lankan holiday! You have a great place here, keep it up!
Excellent value for money at $30 for the night.

So overall:
Hotel Rank from those stayed in Sri Lanka: 9th out of 19
Total SB Score: 74.9%

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank SBhatt87
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katunayake
The Gateway Hotel Airport Garden Colombo
Ramada Katunayake Colombo International Airport
Hotel Paradise
Hotel Paradise
#4 of 7 in Katunayake

Been to Neo Holiday Home? Share your experiences!