My girlfriend and I had been in Sri Lanka for a week and it was the best holiday we have had...until the last night when we stayed at the Cockpit Hotel.
It would literally take pages to cover all of the issues at the hotel so I will highlight just a few.
- Mosquitoes everywhere...rooms, lobby, landing, restaurant etc, with no attempt to spray or get rid of them
- No Internet in rooms although we were promised there would be. We had to sit in a lobby area to use hotel Internet and therefore we were eating alive by mosquitoes (I live in Thailand so am used to mosquitoes but this was a nightmare).
- Water in bathroom was cold and after asking the duty manager to fix it, we had only scorching water.
- There is a nightclub in the hotel...I mean literally IN the hotel. It is from the ground to the second floor on one side of the hotel...basically across the corridor from our room, and the music went on until 3 am or later.
- We arrived quite late so decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. Unfortunately it hadn't been built. There were just chairs and tables that looked like they were from an 80s board room and lots of construction material. We decided to order pizza, but the hotel wouldn't allow us to buy drinks from Pizza Hut...we were forced to pay hotel prices on the hotel's own drinks, which were very small.
- The TV cable was run from the TV to an outside antenna via an open window in the room so if we wanted to watch TV, we had to leave the window open...more mosquitoes and very hot.
- When we tried to sleep, we couldn't find the switches for the lights. In fact there were about 8 switches around the room (some at 7 foot high :S) but most seemed to be useless and others had wires hanging out.
- When we left the next day, after only a couple of hours sleep, the hotel had arranged a taxi that somehow ended up costing a ridiculous amount which was annoying considering the airport is 1.1km away!
- During the night we were woken many times, not just by the music but by the air conditioning cutting out. I think it turned off three times for 20 mins each time. We tried turning it back on but there was no power...I suspect that the hotel was trying to save money by turning off the power throughout the night.
I could go on and on. My advice is to stay away from this place. The hotel is terrible, staff are useless and unhelpful and worse, they don't care. There is no pool or entertainment apart from the nightclub which is basically for the owner's friends and here is nothing nearby to do.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have standard rooms, deluxe rooms & Deluxe Family Rooms ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Hotel Cockpit reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Cockpit Sri Lanka/Katunayake