“Great experience during transit”

Ramada Katunayake Colombo International Airport
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Katunayake
Shanghai, China
“Great experience during transit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

I wonder why this hotel have so many bad reviews. After reading these reviews, we felt ourselves very lucky. We had to transit Colombo on 21-September 2011 on our way to Beijing. I had a transit time of 28 hours. I booked my tickets through a travel agent but the Srilankan airline city office and their country head (Karachi, Pakistan) who issued our tickets, strictly denied to offer a hotel stay because of their less than 24 hours transit time policy.

Upon sending few email requests to the reservation department, finally their CPS head in Sri Lanka office(Hotel booking head) allowed my transit hotel stay and offered Tamarind Tree Hotel Negombo for 28 hours of stay. I checked on TripAdvisor and found many bad reviews about Tamarind Tree hotel. Then I decided to change it upon my arrival. I arrived to Colombo at 9:00 PM on 21st SEPT 2011 and directly went to the hotel counter and requested the airline staff to offer me Ramada Hotel Katunayake, Negombo. They called the hotel and finally sent me to this place.

Front Elevation:

Upon arrival I found that this hotel was far better than Goldi Sands Beach hotel (Another good hotel to stay during transit) which I already experienced during my last visit to Sri Lanka. In an Island city much better property as compared to its competitors.

Check In and Attitude:

The front desk staff was very nice and welcoming. Check in procedure was quite smooth, as It took only 3 minutes to complete all formal procedure. They also offered us welcome orange drinks. It was already 10:00 PM and buffet dinner was about to finish. But they specially extended the time for me and my wife. The food was also very delicious and hygienic, cooked in western and Sri Lankan style combined with a decent dessert bar. Good thing is that we also got all 2 dinners, 1 breakfast and 1 lunch as part of transit hotel deal.

Restaurant:

Restaurant ambiance and furniture are outdated and needs to be renovated.

Room:

As far as room is concerned, the front desk staff upgraded us to deluxe room on 2nd floor. May be I don't remember the exact floor. The modern neat and clean room was also very nice combined with minibar, water boiler, 2 complementary water bottles, complementary tea, closet, safety locker, work table, comfortable double bed, chillin but controllable AC, LCD, spotless bathroom, hair dryer and perfect hot water as well. I can bet it was far better than 5 star Galadari and Taj Airport Garden Hotel standard rooms, experienced during my past stays.

Internet:

No free Internet. Speed was terrible and not consistent. I had to purchase 24 hours access for $15 due to some important work.

Location:

Very far away from Colombo City Center. But the best option to visit city center is take a bus across the hotel road, get off at Ja-Ela train station. Take express train to Colombo fort. Within 40 minutes you will be in the city.

Very near to Bandaranaike airport, located at left side of Negombo road coming from Colombo City making it favorite for transit passengers.

Observation:

Upon check in, the front desk staff asked me to stay aside. I was curious, why? when I further investigated, I found that all Sri Lankan airline passengers sent to this hotels were offered standard rooms located at ground floor just on the right side after you enter the main lobby. We were lucky enough to be offered a deluxe room without any smell and bugs problem.

Upon further investigation, I asked the hotel staff to show me a standard room which they are regularly offering to Srilankan airline passengers. I found that the room had some sort of stinky smell and the cleanliness was not up to the mark. Bugs might also be there as stated by other reviewers but I am not sure! This clearly indicates that due to heavy flow of passengers, their cleaning staff is not concentrating on standard rooms. In order to keep the good image of Ramada hotel brand, Hotel management must do something for the satisfaction of transit passengers as well.

All in all it was a great experience for us to stay in this hotel. My all wishes with those who have had bad experiences with this hotel.

Room Tip: Request upgrade standard to deluxe room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kash11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

We picked this hotel as we had a 7am flight out of Colombo and didn't want to travel the 60 minutes from the city to the airport at 4am. It is only 10 minutes from the airport, which is about the only positive note on this hotel. Upon check-in we were upgraded to a "suite" which was just a decently big room in the newer wing. The rugs in the hallways were stained, dull, and with nothing on the walls, it was like walking down a very depressing corridor in a not so great public housing development. The room was fine and clean, but again, the rug had multiple stains and the vibe of the room and bathroom was not particularly welcoming. Around 8pm we started hearing this "thump, thump" drum beat and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Investigating, we learned it was music from the bar, which was a floor below and in the other building- this gives an idea of how loud the music was or how poor the construction of the hotel was-either way it was irritating and bothersome. At around 10pm my wife heard more music and people talking (I was asleep to the world).......this from a private function occuring in the hotel somewhere. Needless to say this wasn't the greatest experience. The restaurant in the hotel was buffet or a la carte and the food we had-Asian noodles and a rice dish, were fine. There is nothing around the hotel to walk to. There are other hotels near the airport and I might try one of them instead of his Ramada. Under no circumstances would I recommend staying at this hotel for more than one night.

Room Tip: Be as far away from the bar and wherever they hold private functions if sleeping well is important t...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NeroNewDelhi

Travelers are raving about these Katunayake hotels

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

I am (rathere i would say i was) a fan of Srilankan Airlines till august ist when i stayed at this hotel. I really dont know why Srilankan Airlines has choosen this hotel for its travellers. At least they should understatnd that they are using it for an international transit where as the hotel is not at all suited even for an emergency stay.. it spoils the fun of entire travel.. i really really request srilankan airlines to avoid this hotel for God's sake.. please.... I dont want to see the image of Srilankan Airlines get spoiled just because of a stupid hotel..

Room Tip: the bset tip is to avoid this hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sagardevan
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

You would only stay here if in transit, I think, as otherwise the location is pretty far from anything interesting.

That being said, it's a nice place. There's a pool, (expensive) internet access, a restaurant, airport shuttle, a little (very little) shop next door, and basically all the services you need while in transit.

I stayed here while waiting 14 hours for a connection on Sri Lankan Airlines. This is apparently quite common with that airline. They paid for the hotel and meals so as bad as that airline is, I have to hand it to them for providing this service with no tips and handouts expected.

The rooms was a bit worn but not a bad standard for Sri Lanka. The a/c was controlled in the room and was quiet. It was clean and comfortable.

Lunch and dinner buffets were adequate. I'd say they could have a better spread but since I was among the only people staying, it would have been a terrible waste if they did. I was happy enough.

The staff is incredible. Extremely helpful and kind. They went out of their way to help in any way conceivable, even changing my flights (this is not their job) and much, much more. That alone makes this hotel a fantastic place to stay.

Now, the location. Hmm. It is beside a major road (I think it's a national highway but it's only two lanes - one in each direction) with nothing recommendable nearby. A tire shop, some piles of rubble, that kind of thing. That's why you wouldn't pick it as a destination.

However, with that road right there, it's pretty easy, if long, to get around. I went to Negombo and Colombo (20 minutes and an hour respectively) merely by standing on the road outside the hotel and waving at a bus. There are also autos (tuk-tuks) you can flag down.

All in all, location aside, this place was just fine and I'd happily stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Nombre D
Chennai (Madras), India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

The Ramada is a budget hotel in the vicinity of the Airport. Private taxis booked through the hotel charge Sri Lankan Rupees 1000 to take you to the International Airport.

I checked in at 2 AM and the front office gentleman was hardly happy to receive me. Check in was slow and painful.

The hotel is badly maintained and the signs of aging are everywhere. The bathroom had a strange stench. I was surprised to find insects in the room.

The Hotel is promoted as an Airport hotel. However, there is no information available on airlines/flights etc. No computer where one can check flight related stuff. The front office did not even try to get me the airline info that I requested.

It’s not worth going into the other details. I won’t be coming back to this hotel again.

The hotel is about 10-15 mins from the Airport. This apart I cannot think of any other reason to stay in the Ramada at Katunayake.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank SagarVS
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

This is not a luxury hotel, but they do there basics well, giving clean room with basics amenities. Good 24hr room service , but the INTRNET IS TOO SLOW.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank john a
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

this really is an absolute stinker of a place.It is close to the airport so you are put there by Lankan Air when you inevitably have to stop over due to the chaotic and unhelpful flight schedule. On the way out I stayed at Jetwings which was on the beach and delightful. Ramada Katunayake is near nowhere( in fact it's not even close to nowhere)and is a bleak depressing place.The rooms are smelly , dark and dire.The breakfast buffet is simply ghastly with large parts of it totally unhealthy and inedible.Room Service is a joke and the service-level is monumentally bad.They do get you to the airport on time but that's about it.Thisa hotel gives Sri lank a bad name and it needs to be looked at my its name-bearing franchise to see if it is meeting the minimum standards.Truly dire.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Cambridge2711
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katunayake
The Covanro
Jetwing Blue
Jetwing Blue
#10 of 41 in Negombo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,363 reviews

Been to Ramada Katunayake Colombo International Airport? Share your experiences!