I wonder why this hotel have so many bad reviews. After reading these reviews, we felt ourselves very lucky. We had to transit Colombo on 21-September 2011 on our way to Beijing. I had a transit time of 28 hours. I booked my tickets through a travel agent but the Srilankan airline city office and their country head (Karachi, Pakistan) who issued our tickets, strictly denied to offer a hotel stay because of their less than 24 hours transit time policy.
Upon sending few email requests to the reservation department, finally their CPS head in Sri Lanka office(Hotel booking head) allowed my transit hotel stay and offered Tamarind Tree Hotel Negombo for 28 hours of stay. I checked on TripAdvisor and found many bad reviews about Tamarind Tree hotel. Then I decided to change it upon my arrival. I arrived to Colombo at 9:00 PM on 21st SEPT 2011 and directly went to the hotel counter and requested the airline staff to offer me Ramada Hotel Katunayake, Negombo. They called the hotel and finally sent me to this place.
Upon arrival I found that this hotel was far better than Goldi Sands Beach hotel (Another good hotel to stay during transit) which I already experienced during my last visit to Sri Lanka. In an Island city much better property as compared to its competitors.
Check In and Attitude:
The front desk staff was very nice and welcoming. Check in procedure was quite smooth, as It took only 3 minutes to complete all formal procedure. They also offered us welcome orange drinks. It was already 10:00 PM and buffet dinner was about to finish. But they specially extended the time for me and my wife. The food was also very delicious and hygienic, cooked in western and Sri Lankan style combined with a decent dessert bar. Good thing is that we also got all 2 dinners, 1 breakfast and 1 lunch as part of transit hotel deal.
Restaurant ambiance and furniture are outdated and needs to be renovated.
As far as room is concerned, the front desk staff upgraded us to deluxe room on 2nd floor. May be I don't remember the exact floor. The modern neat and clean room was also very nice combined with minibar, water boiler, 2 complementary water bottles, complementary tea, closet, safety locker, work table, comfortable double bed, chillin but controllable AC, LCD, spotless bathroom, hair dryer and perfect hot water as well. I can bet it was far better than 5 star Galadari and Taj Airport Garden Hotel standard rooms, experienced during my past stays.
No free Internet. Speed was terrible and not consistent. I had to purchase 24 hours access for $15 due to some important work.
Very far away from Colombo City Center. But the best option to visit city center is take a bus across the hotel road, get off at Ja-Ela train station. Take express train to Colombo fort. Within 40 minutes you will be in the city.
Very near to Bandaranaike airport, located at left side of Negombo road coming from Colombo City making it favorite for transit passengers.
Upon check in, the front desk staff asked me to stay aside. I was curious, why? when I further investigated, I found that all Sri Lankan airline passengers sent to this hotels were offered standard rooms located at ground floor just on the right side after you enter the main lobby. We were lucky enough to be offered a deluxe room without any smell and bugs problem.
Upon further investigation, I asked the hotel staff to show me a standard room which they are regularly offering to Srilankan airline passengers. I found that the room had some sort of stinky smell and the cleanliness was not up to the mark. Bugs might also be there as stated by other reviewers but I am not sure! This clearly indicates that due to heavy flow of passengers, their cleaning staff is not concentrating on standard rooms. In order to keep the good image of Ramada hotel brand, Hotel management must do something for the satisfaction of transit passengers as well.
All in all it was a great experience for us to stay in this hotel. My all wishes with those who have had bad experiences with this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ramada Katuanayake is located just 7KM miles from Bandaranaike Airport. It features a fitness center, an outdoor swimming pool, and offers spa facilities. All rooms are air-conditioned and equipped with cable TV, minibar and a work desk. In-room breakfast is available. Guests can sunbathe at the pool area, and make use of the fully equipped fitness center. The hotel's restaurant overlooks the pool and serves a wide variety of both Eastern and Western cuisine. Guests of Ramada Katuanayake are also welcome to enjoy an exotic cocktail at the Pinnacolada Lounge Bar. Hotel Ramada Katuanayake is 14KM from Negombo Beach and 3KM from the Birds Sanctuary at Muturajawela, which is also accessible by boat. The city of Colombo is 30KM away. Free on-site parking is available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Booking.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ramada Katunayake Colombo International Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ramada Katunayake Colombo International Airport Hotel Katunayake
- Ramada Katunayake Colombo International Airport Sri Lanka