“NotreDame de la Salette Sanctuary”

Sanctuaire de Notre Dame de La Salette
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed August 24, 2018

A humble place in the midst of majestic mountains. It appreas that volunteers are a great contribution to the running of this place. The hotel is humble but extremely comfortable. The meals are simple but tasty. They also have a snack bar with very delicious food. It is an oasis away from civilization. Warning: it is very high up in the Alps. An overnight stay is strongly recommended.

Date of experience: August 2018
in 7 reviews
"volunteers"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed April 27, 2018

We came here for a church pilgrimage and arrived in the evening. As it was dark we had no idea what awaited us in the morning. We were greeted by the volunteers who run the hostel and we had a dinner prepared for us. After a long days journey the meal was one of the simplest and best meals I’ve ever had. When we were given the keys to our room we didn’t know what to expect. We opened the door and saw our humble accommodations- but the water was hot and the bed was soft and cozy. When I woke up in the morning and opened the curtains I literally could not believe my eyes, it was heaven on earth. I felt like a kid and couldn’t wait to get outside and really take it all in. I had planned on asking my fiancé to marry me at another point in our pilgrimage but the views alone overtook me and I had no other choice but to ask her to marry me on the mountain side. Regardless of what your faith is, the place is so tranquil, beautiful and the peace you get by just standing there is enough to make all your worries go away. This sanctuary, this humble hostel, the slice of heaven was the highlight of my pilgrimage. And for reasons I’ve already stated it will forever be one of my best memories. I encourage you to go and see for yourself; somehow, someway try to make it there.

Date of experience: September 2017
2  Thank SantiagoV2009
Reviewed February 26, 2018 via mobile

This shrine is so peaceful and beautiful in the French mountains.The mornings are amazing and breathtaking beauty all around.There are walking paths you can walk around the mountain that are great for contemplation or just alone time.They have beautiful candlelit vigils which you should not miss.They have 24 Hour Eucharistic adoration and if you stay in the pilgrim house it’s connected to the church and you can visit the chapel at any time of day or night.There is also a miraculous spring that you can bottle up and take home with you.The gift shop is also really good!

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed April 20, 2017

The location is absolutely spectacular with views over the surrounding mountains, particularly those over the Dévoluy range, topped out by the Mont Obiou at 2780m. It is a place of pilgrimage for Catholics, and the complex comprises a basilica, hotel, conference centre, large capacity restaurant aimed at the conference groups, cafeteria for the public and souvenir shop. On 14th August each year, the place is crammed full of pilgrims. At other times, aside from organised groups, most of the cars parked up there are those of walkers, as the area is a perfect start point for some serious walking on adjacent mountains and the connecting crests.
It is a 15km winding and rather steep road up from Corps, and in the winter can be quite scary, though scenically magical because of the icicles hanging from rocks by the side of the road and the purity of the snow all around. At any time, you will take a lot of great photos.

Date of experience: April 2017