“Beautiful, uncrowned shrine to Mary”

Sanctuaire de Notre Dame de La Salette
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed May 26, 2016

Beautiful setting, and a bit of a challenging drive to get there. Only go with good weather and no snow. Fantastic shrine and very peaceful. Did not know there was hotel there,would have loved to stay and enjoy hiking mountains and taking in the scenery.

Date of experience: May 2016
in 7 reviews
"volunteers"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed September 21, 2015

This is located in a scenic mountain-surrounded height in the French Alps, a reason why, my wife said, she felt being there is like being in heaven. The road going there twists up the the side of a mountain, with sometimes spectacular views.
This shrine-complex was built in the mountains where two French children saw and talked to the Virgin Mary in 1846. She appeared to them in light brighter than the sun, emanating from the crucifix she wore. Three sets of statues, near each other at that site, represent the three stages of this apparition. They first saw Mary sitting, bent over weeping, for the sins of men. (The second set of statues shows her talking to the two children; the third shows her about to ascend to heaven at the end.) The children thought at first that Mary was a mother of the area, since she wore the sort of clothes women wore in that area.
At that time a dried-up spring began flowing on that spot. You can still see it flowing out of the ground (it is covered over there at that spot) and further on, this small stream pools in a place where pilgrims gather to see and gather its water.
Before we arrived, I had thought that my wife and myself might have to climb some distance up a mountain path to get to the apparition site. But the shrine complex there was built right next to the apparition place, and, in fact, a great basilica was built right before it, where, in fact, we went to mass.
Numbers of people come here, including buses of pilgrims. Some people stay in the rooms at the shrine complex--which are simple rooms, with no TVs, showers, or phones, but of course attractive because they are in that very place.
My wife and I spent two days at this shrine. eating at its large cafeteria. The cafeteria has rather average food, but it is handy and convenient (ask for their menu in English) There is also a restaurant at this shrine, though my wife and I didn't take the time to eat there.
There is a welcome desk at the main entrance, as well as a gift store where crowds of people were. There are no charges for going there. The Catholic Church approved of this apparition two years after it occurred and soon work began building its basilica.
To learn more about the actual apparitions of the Virgin Mary to the two children in 1846, you could google to the "theotokos" site and "the apparitions at La Salette."
My wife and I spent more than two weeks going to Catholic shrines in France privately, and we were especially happy we went there, gaining strong love for this place.

Date of experience: September 2015
6  Thank Michael_Spencer_12
Reviewed July 6, 2015 via mobile

The Sanctuary of the Salette is one of the most beautiful sanctuaries I have ever visited. Located at 1700m above sea level and just over the city of Corps, the view is just magnificent. There is a way to go by car but I decided to hike up the mountains with 2 of my friends. 9km and 3 hours later, we arrived. Really worth it. For those thinking of hiking up to the Sanctuary, be sure to eat well and take a lot of water. One can stay in the sanctuary if they wish as for they have a lot of hike programs.

Date of experience: July 2015
3  Thank pazoscp
Reviewed August 31, 2014

i was lucky to spend 35 days as a volunteer! Nice and quite! If you are travelling to this area please spent few ours here!!!

Date of experience: October 2013
4  Thank Elmio1981
See more reviews
Reviewed June 13, 2014

This is one of the most beautiful places my eyes laid upon. Going up to the french alps where the sanctuary was located was a thrill. Reaching the place was awesome. Learning about the miracle that happened there was a blessing. The sanctuary where we stayed was just Ok and expected of a retreat house. It was a no frills accommodation . The food served was just fine. I was not expecting much considering the location on the top of the mountain. The beauty and enchantment of the place was more than enough to make me satisfied and nourished both gastronomically and spiritually. The staff were accommodating esp the priest who became our guide. It was indeed a humbling experience to have reached that sanctuary. Truly awesome!

Date of experience: May 2014