“An Evening Meal”

Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Gunnislake
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The web site for this Pub/Restaurant says newly decorated. I agree it has been painted but doesn't really look any different than it did 10 years ago. The bar area is old and dated as is the gents toilet, both need modernising.

Also the eating area was a little chilly, the heating needs turning up a degree or 2.

That aside the food was very well presented and tasty. I can recommend the Bison/Wild Boar burger. The staff are friendly and attentive. Reasonably priced for an evening out.

Overall an enjoyable evening at a reasonable price.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I really hope the landlord reads this, everything in the pub is as it should be customer service, pleasant surroundings and a credit to what they are trying to do but a chef or the chef or one of them is cooking food in advance and cutting corners, sunday roast is consistently let down by veg over cooked and soggy (we have been 3 times now) and the nut roast was made up from anything available rather than an actual recipe, believe me we are trying to be helpful. We really like the owner/manager and his front of house staff but the food will loose you business I'm so sorry to have to say.

Clare A, Owner at The Rifle Volunteer, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We take on board what you have said and will see what we can do, we don't think the chef is cutting corners - unfortunately when you are preparing food in commercial quantities you do need to cook some of it in advance - but that doesn't mean the veg should be soggy! If you are in again, and we hope you will be, and aren't happy with something please do mention it then so that we can respond and try to rectify the situation. Thanks so much for your positive words, we are really enjoying being here at the Rifle and hope to be here for many years to come.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We eat here as many times as we can when visiting the area. The food is great, it is piping hot, tasty and always very good. We stay at Honicombe while we are in Cornwall and it;s always a treat to eat here. The chips in particular are first rate. Very reasonably priced and good portions so go hungry !

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Tool my accountant and our wives out for a Friday evening meal. Good varied choice of food. All the food was cooked to perfection. We will be back.

I wish every success to the new landlord

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I went here for a meal with my accountant and our wives. Very nice meal. Clear plates all round. Would certainly go there again. It was very quiet there, although there was a big event on in tavistock that evening. I wish landlord success in taking on this place, which has changed hands several times in the last 5 years.

1  Thank SiloamCornwall