“At last somewhere that does "Real" pies”
Review of The Jolly Thresher

The Jolly Thresher
Ranked #3 of 39 Restaurants in Lymm
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Jolly ThresherCelebrating Fine Food , Wine and Ale The Jolly Thresher is a charming and attractive country pub of great character. As soon as you step across the threshold you’ll notice that the interior is warm and inviting and features sumptuous and stylish furniture with rustic finishes and open fireplaces throughout - The perfect haven for relaxed drinking and dining .You’ll find the atmosphere friendly, welcoming and pleasantly informal and we invite you to join us to enjoy a great range of draught and bottled beers, some terrific cask ales from our well stocked cellar, all suitably complemented by a lovely selection of wines and some caringly prepared Cocktails.Our freshly prepared menu features a mix of popular traditional British dishes alongside some modern European ideas using the best quality meats, seafood as well as some local produce.It’s been designed to offer a range of great pub food to suit your mood with large and small portions available on many dishes.Much of the restaurant overlooks a most attractive Garden and patio where you can enjoy alfresco dining in the warm Cheshire sunshine. This area can divided into private dining spaces and we can help you arrange your very own celebration, whether it’s an anniversary lunch, an evening birthday bash, a cosy family gathering we’ll be happy to look after your every need.The Jolly Thresher is easily accessible from all parts of north Cheshire and the towns of Altrincham and Warrington. You can us find on the A not far from the M56 / M6 intersection.With such ease of access, a large car park, complimentary Wi fi the Jolly Thresher is an ideal venue for you to meet with work colleagues or perhaps hold an informal meeting whilst enjoying freshly brewed coffee , maybe a bite of breakfast or brunch or indulging in one of our very special afternoon teas.Whatever the occasion come and join us at the Jolly Thresher, we think you‘ll like us and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My family and I visited The Jolly Thresher today 03.01.14 for lunch, upon arrival we found a table in the bar area, it had not been cleared away from the last occupants, a few empty beer glasses and the dirty napkins.
I went to the bar and had to wait a few minutes for someone to serve me, the young lady who did serve was very helpful, I asked if we could order food in the bar area and she said yes and that she would get us some menus which she then brought over also explaining that there could be a 35 minutes wait for food (it didn’t take that long when ordered).
The food was very nice I ordered the Lancashire cheese and onion pie (which I must say was a “real” pie and not one of those dishes with a puff pastry lid on) my wife had the fish and chips all very well cooked, my daughter had the chicken supreme a very well cooked piece of chicken and some nice vegetables but she was more than impressed with the mash potato which she said was the best she had ever had, my granddaughter had the young diners chicken strips (at £5.95 maybe a little expensive for a child’s meal)but the quality was good.
All the staff were very helpful and extremely pleasant especially the young lady who took our payment and Matt the manager who I had a very good discussion with about the merits of a good pie (I have already picked my meal for our next visit “The chicken and black pudding pie”).
All in all a very pleasant experience and I will return.

Mat W, General Manager at The Jolly Thresher, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear TezzaM,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review for us - we're really pleased that you enjoyed your visit to us here at the Jolly Thresher.

When we're busy (like we were on your visit) we cannot always get to the tables to clear them entirely which I hate - sorry that you had to wait. We had called an extra member of staff to help us (my wife) as we had expected it to be quieter but it was not.

We're very passionate about the food that we serve and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed it. We use the best ingredients - including on the childrens meals. We do not use fish fingers or frozen nuggets. We use the chicken breast that we season in house for the chicken strips and the same fish as for the adult fish and chips. We are firm believers that childrens food should be of a good quality - not cheap & low quality.

Our staff are excellent and like to make sure that everything is taken care of for our customers - the pleasant young lady that you refer to in your review was my wife Kirsty - she remembers talking about pies with you and that the little girl with you was impecably behaved!

We hope that we will be seeing you again soon and appreciate you travelling such a distance to visit.

Mat, Kirsty & the team.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I booked a table for lunchtime on New Years Day for 5 people and what a wonderfull time we all had, despite the dreadful weather. David, the guy who took our order, and Amanda the waitress were absolutely fantastic - nothing was too much trouble for them. We each ordered a different maincourse i.e. sausage & mash, liver & bacon, curry, steak and ale pie and crabcakes and we all agreed they were all absoutely delicious and piping hot. It was the best venue and meal we have had on a New Years Day. Will definitely be visiting again and would say this is the best pub around for miles.

Thanks once again

Sharon and Alan Jenkins

Dear Sharon J,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about us on Trip Advisor.

We're so pleased that you and your group had such a lovely experience on New Years Day - Dave & Amanda were thrilled to have been recognised for their work.

We try to keep our menu varied to appeal to different tastes & to make sure that there's always something for everyone.

We hope that we will be seeing you again soon (hopefully without the dreadful weather this time).

Mat, Kirsty & the team.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Six of us went for New Year's Day lunch. It was the first time I had been and I must say that the experience was very nice indeed. I had a fantastic piece of gammon with a couple of fried eggs and some utterly amazing chips. Come to think of it, the Jolly Thresher is worth visiting just for these chips! There were a couple of very unusual combinations on the extensive menu, including scallops with suckling pig and chilli ice cream with duck, but apart from these it all looks and sounds delicious!

Service was exceptional; it's obvious that staff training is a key priority for these guys. If only it were so across our wonderful country!

Dear Richardhands,

Thank you for visiting us at The Jolly Thresher - we're really pleased that you enjoyed your visit.
We are very passionate about the quality of the food that we produce and we're happy that you liked it - especially the handcut chips..... they are amazing!

We like to put the more unusual dishes alongside the homely meals to appeal to everyone - there's always something to please the palate!

We are very passionate about ensuring that every person is special and that their needs are catered to - we want everyone to have a good experience!

We hope that we will be seeing you again soon (even if it's just or a bucket of chips).

Mat Wilson

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We thought we were in for a good night. Nice food, live music to bring in the new year.....how wrong we were.
To be fair the food was nice but the service was terrible. We got there earlier than our 8pm start but as soon as we had just got the 1st round of drinks the pre starter came.
You could tell because of the poor turn out, the staff were rushing service to get away. Even after asking them for 15min to 20min break between courses they kept coming out to ask every 5 mins if we were ready for the next course. You shouldn't rush a 7 course meal especially when there was only 6 tables with guests on!!
The live music was not good, singing slow and depressing songs....probably to get rid of people so the staff could have their private party on the head table nearest to the bar.
The pianist looked like their granddad.
We left early to get to see in the new year at home 30 min drive away, Jools Holland was a lot better. To summarise,
2 mushroom starters under cooked. Well done steak more like medium but as said earlier nice overall.
Will not waste just shy of £60 here on new years eve but will go back some other time.

Dear David G,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for us - we appreciate every comment made.

We're very sorry that you did not enjoy your evening with us - the feedback on the whole was that it was a very enjoyable low key and relaxed evening. If you were unhappy with any aspect of the food we would certainly have replaced it for you without questio which is standard. The evening was quieter than we had anticipated and sadly a couple of the tables that were booked in had to cancel due to illness which left us with a dozen tables in on the evening. My apologies if the staff were too attentive with their service level - we had discussed with them that they should be extra attentive as we understand that to pay £60 per head for a meal, the service should be "spot on". As we were only serving from the 7 course menu on this evening the kitchen were all prepared to ensure that the food arrived in a timely fashion. My apologies if it was too quickly.

The music was provided by 2 entertainers - both of whom are well respected and sought after. They played music from all walks of life and covered many genres - whether Mr Lambert is someones Grandfather or not is quite irrelevant but he is no relation to anyone who works at The Jolly Thresher and travelled from Wales to play on New Years Eve.

If the impression that anyone wanted to "get rid" of the customers was given I can assure you that this was certainly not the case.
We will probably alter the event for next year and try something different but as this was the first year for us here at The Jolly Thresher we wanted to try something different.

I do hope that you will come back to visit us again in the future.

Mat Wilson

Reviewed December 27, 2013

My wife and I had a meal here this evening, and it was very much below par. Especially when we had read the recent reviews about this eatery. The alarm bells should of rang when we had booked in advance but the young lady who was showing us to our table said we could sit anywhere! I ordered the "Portabello mushroom" starter, which consisted of one flat mushroom covered in steak Dianne sauce and costing £4.95. Which I thought was extortionate for one mushroom! I asked for my steak to come medium>well! In hyincite I made a mistake, as it came cremated! £16.95 for a small piece of rump steak! Also the bar staff really need to go on a ESP training course(Every Serve Perfect), as the drink I had ordered for my wife came in a tumbler with little ice and no citrus fruit. It looked glum to say the least! Shame really was expecting more, a real disappointment!

Mat W, General Manager at The Jolly Thresher, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Daniel M,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review for us - we appreciate every comment made so that we can see where we are doing well and which areas need to improve.

When we are quieter we offer everyone the chance to sit where they would prefer and given that you and your wife chose to sit on a table for 4 people as opposed to a 2 it seemed to be the better choice. We like to be able to offer our customers the choice as some of our areas are more popular than others - in particular table 21 where you sat as the ambience is nice.

The Portobello mushroom starter is a large flat portobello mushroom served with our home made roasted garlic, portobello mushroom & cream sauce topped with cheese breadcrumbs. I can assure you that it is not Diane sauce. We encourage all of our customers to let us know if they are unhappy with any aspect of their meal. Similarly we would certainly have replaced the rump steak if you had let us know that you were unhappy. Unfortunately as steaks are cooked there is some shrinkage in their size as the moisture is released but we would happily have replaced this for you.
We always check back following each meal leaving the kitchen to ensure that everyone is happy - like wise we check as the plates are returned to the kitchen.

The drink in question for your wife (I'm assuming it was the Morgans Spiced Rum & Pepsi as you haven't specified on your review - I've had to guess from your bill) is not something that we would usually put a citrus fruit in but we could certainly have amended this and the amount of ice upon request.
I'm terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to us but I hope that you will come back again to give it another try.
If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me at sayhello@jollythresher.co.uk

Matthew Wilson