“Extremely enjoyable evening”

Ranked #4 of 37 Restaurants in Lymm
Cuisines: Spanish, British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a family run independent wine bar and tapas restaurant
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We had a meal at Bowdens to celebrate my Son's graduation .
The food was excellent and the staff very courteous and attentive .
The ambience was pleasant and relaxing .
I also had afternoon tea at Bowdens during the Lymm Festival and it was delicious .
I shall definitely be returning to sample the Sunday Lunch menu .

There are newer reviews for Bowdens Wine Bar & Tapas

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We have not eaten at The Bistro for some time as had a very poor meal in the Tapas bar. We were told to give it another try and eat in the main restaurant. I was a little dubious but wanted to support our local business. We were very pleasantly surprised. The menu for £15.50 for two course was value for money and the food was lovely. I had the frogs legs followed by the chicken, I have some dietary requirements, nothing was to much trouble and unlike many places when I ask for no wheat or dairy, I was treated to a real tasty meal. It would benefit from some music to creat a little bit of atmosphere, but I will be going back.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

This was our second visit to Bowdens and it will be our last. The whole experience was very disappointing. We were there to celebrate our anniversary and was looking forward to a nice relaxing meal. We chose kidneys as a starter but they were very gristly so weren't eaten but we let that go.I had pan fried cod as a main which arrived and then some 5-10 minutes later the veg arrived with a slight apology for the delay by which time my fish was cold so had to be returned. The fish portion was so small it was hardly worth serving and completely tasteless, the veg was a bowl of microwaved baby carrots and 6 green beans, very uninteresting, the potatoes were large new potatoes again microwaved to heat up and tossed in butter, not my cup of tea!
When we tried to complain no one was interested although the owner was wandering around, no apology or interest.
We won't be going again

5  Thank christopher016
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We ate here recently with a large group of friends and family. We ordered from the fixed price menu at £15.50 for two courses. Excellent value we thought.
I ordered the soup, which was tomato and basil, and it came with a roll. Lovely. One of my favourite soups. My husband ordered the chicken liver pate. It was deliciously smooth, but my husband would have liked more bread with the pate, so had half my bread roll! (The pate comes with half a toasted bread roll.)
We didn't have the nerve to order the frogs legs, although they did smell delicious, with a strong smell of garlic. Umm!
For my main course I had mushrooms in a pastry case. It came with side dishes of potatoes, carrots, green beans and mange tout. Very nice. My husband had the steak au poivre which he enjoyed. The French fries that came with it were very thin and no where near as tasty as the chunky chips that were ordered as an extra side dish.
Everyone enjoyed their food and nothing was left. Always the sign of a good meal!
Service was very good, and it was a nice touch not to have to ask for tap water as it was brought to the table without us having to ask.
A lovely evening was enjoyed by everyone.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I strongly urge people not to eat at the "tapas" "balcony" - cheap produce basement seems a more apt description.

Our meal consisted of hard flaking cheese (which apparently had no packaging when we asked to see what we had been served), Billy Bear ham, microscopic frozen prawns and Calamari which tasted more like greasy potato churros.

As stated in several other reviews, I found the manager to be belligerent and condescending.

On a more positive note, the "terrace" is pleasing in terms of ambiance, the girl that served us was friendly & the focaccia tasted fresh.

5  Thank shabshab2014