“Theft and scam”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cheshire
“Theft and scam”
Reviewed February 5, 2010

Whilst using the facilities for a conference the "Locked" room was accessed whilst we ate lunch. A wallet was taken and then through spoof phone calls a substancial amount of money was taken out of the targets bank account.

Having read the reviews I see that another user had items stolen.

This again may not be the hotels fault but as ever be vigilant!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank DPAM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Yorkshire
Reviewed January 1, 2010

We booked very last minute for a New Year package and did wonder what we would get as the Lymm Hotel seemed to be the only one anywhere in the UK with New Year's Eve vacancies! However, we were very pleased with everything. On arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant receptionist and all the staff we met throughout our stay were helpful and polite. The room was in the annexe and I have to agree that this could do with some updating. The stair carpet was badly worn on the edges, so much so that I almost caught my heel in it. The room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom had bath and shower, although the avocado bathroom suite did remind me of the 70's, but eh why replace a perfectly good bathroom just because the colour is out of fashion!!!! As it was New Year there were several functions taking place and we had a very enjoyable evening, my only gripe being that the music was over loud but that is probably because I am not as young as I was!!!! The food was excellent, both at the evening meal and at breakfast. The staff were exceptional, all working very hard to ensure guests enjoyed themselves and I was more than surprised to see some of them on duty in the morning after what must have been a very tiring late night for them. I would certainly stay at this hotel again, it was good value for money and is located in a very nice village of Lymm, with beautiful countryside surrounding it, ideal for country walks if thus inclined. I am so pleased we didn't take too much notice of the reviews on here and decided to chance it, the hotel was far better than many more expensive ones I have stayed in.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
west midlands
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I stayed at the McDonald Lymm Hotel for one night in November with my husband. We had a good deal and overall we felt it was value for money.

Positives:

Staff are very polite and helpful
Pleasant location within walking distance into Lymm village - plenty of restaurants and pubs
Sky Sports on TV
Breakfast (average)

Negatives:

Room was dated especially the bathroom
Bed was quite hard - both woke up with an aching back

Whilst we were there, a wedding party had hired the function and whilst they were waiting for the main evening event, the whole of the wedding party occupied the residents bar. This made us feel as though we would be gatecrashing the wedding and chose to go off site to eat and drink.

Upon returning at 10.10pm - the party was in full swing and to be honest the noise did not reach our room. We asked for a snack menu but the kitchens were closed, the staff very kindly offered us cold sandwiches. Within 10 minutes we each received a tuna sandwich with salad and crisps - charged £11 and although we were grateful and cannot prove it - we certainly believe they were brought from the wedding buffet!!! Stale and crusty!!

Overall it is ok for a one night stop off providing you only pay Travelodge rates.

Lymm itself is a pretty village with enough eateries to choose from.

Very quiet location with no amenities so you need the car to explore.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Stopped at this hotel on an away weekend business trip, we had hired a room for our meeting and I went straight there so did not check in until after the meeting; a useful touch here might be that the hotel checks you in and brings the key to you at the meeting.

The check in was fine and the ample free parking is great, my immediate impressions of the room were “Laura Ashley” as most UK country hotels are, but the bed was comfy and warm. There was no mini bar, but there were tea and coffee facilities. A surprising, but pleasant aspect of the TV channels was the Sky Sports channels being available in the rooms, so no forcing to watch you to watch sports in the bar – well done hotel. Also, the breakfast was excellent, good variety and plenty of it.

Unfortunately, we now hit the problems, while we were there a wedding was on and whilst this was not a problem the service in the restaurant was worst than appalling. I am not even sure that the lack of staff was a problem just the lack of training / application of the staff that were there. As I mentioned a wedding was on during our stay and the hotel rooms in the main block wrap around the bar area and function room and this was a problem, fortunately I can sleep so, this was not a problem, but any light sleeper would have a problem.

Would I stay there again, probably, as this is the only decent local hotel to Lymm.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We frequently stay here when visiting relatives in Lymm. Nice hotel, breakfast really good. Reception will charge ext5ra if tehy can get away with it. When will managment take notice of the many comments about updating the bedrooms which really need doing. I suspect they realise that being the most convenient hotel in proximity to the village then they don't really have to bother.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
York
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Reasonable hotel if a little tired in some areas requiring refurbishment. Whilst staying my room was broken into. Laptop, carkeys, briefcase etc...

Whilst I would mention that this is not necessarily the fault of the hotel...security seemed lacking...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Lymm hotels

Dublin
Reviewed September 2, 2009

We stayed at the Lymm hotel for two nights over the August bank holiday as were going to a festival nearby in Daresbury. The hotel is, as mentioned in a few reviews, dated and old fashioned. Our room was located in an annex outside the main reception and restaurant building. It was spacious with a double and single bed plus en-suite bathroom. The shower was great with lots of hot water. We were provided with plenty of towels (extra ones were left outside our room by housekeeping whilst we had a lazy ly-in!!) Tea and coffee are provided in the room along with hairdryer, ironing board and iron. The decor could be updated to fit in with the current trends however the room was very comfortable.

The price for the two nights was very reasonable, plus breakfast was included which was very good too. During breakfast was also the only time we came in contact with staff other than those on reception and I have to say they were very polite and attentive, however there was one lady (who I would hazard a guess as being some sort of supervisor) who thought it appropriate to shout at another member of staff accross the dining room whilst stood next to our table!

Overall the hotel met all our needs for the weekend and I would possible return perhaps if we were thinking of going to the nearby festival again next year. The nearby towns seemed nice as we drove through therefore might be worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymm
Statham Lodge Hotel
Cottons Hotel & Spa
Cottons Hotel & Spa
#2 of 9 in Knutsford
Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa

Been to The Lymm Hotel? Share your experiences!