The Lymm Hotel
$178
$164
Travelocity
Very Good 4/5
Premier Inn Knutsford (Mere) Hotel(Knutsford)(Great Value!)
$97
Very Good 4/5
Premier Inn Warrington (M6/J21) Hotel(Warrington)(Great Value!)
$77
$91
Great 4.5/5
$74
Very Good 4/5
All reviewslovely villagebusiness tripbit datedthe main hotelan updatechristmas partywedding receptionbar areawedding breakfastwould stay againpleasant stayfood was lovelywedding venueevening mealone night staycooked breakfastannex
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My brother in law and I seem to come up with crazy idea's from time to time. These usually involve 2 middle aged men trying to complete an endurance feat. This time it was to cycle coast to coast from Southport to Hornsea by bike along the Trans Pennine Train. A 217 mile route that takes you through some interesting places, some industrialised, some a little more scenic ! Our first stop of our 5 day cycle was at The Lymm Hotel, Nr Warrington. I am fairly local to this area and having cycled past the hotel many times previously thought it would make a great first night.The trail is directly adjacent to the hotel. Having cycled from Southport, approx 43 miles we arrived covered in mud and looking more than a little windswept, First thing I noticed was the class of car in the hotels car park. Some expensive looking motors I thought as I looked down at my splattered waterproofs !
I had already paid for our room in advance (£69 Twin room, advance booking price). On arrival we presented our sorry looking selves to reception. Considering our attire we we're a little concerned we would upset the staff. Not at all, they were used to it by now. A common stopping place for walkers and cyclists of the Trans Pennine trail. We had been assured at time of booking there would be secure storage for our bikes. We were pointed in the direction of where they would be kept for the night. I have to say as a cyclist it wasn't what I would consider secure storage. We were asked to leave our bikes in a small area just off what looked like a conference room. Having no choice but to leave the bikes we secured them as best we could by locking them together. It was also a fire escape area so we were careful not to block the emergency exit. It may sound like a grumble too far but when you are told secure storage I would expect that, not just an area, open to the public, indoors.
We made it to our room, a fairly small affair but still adequate for our purposes. Usual facilities of tea & coffee and small TV. Room decor in general was ok, dated by more modern hotel standards. The washing facilities were en suite and acceptable. A small towel rail soon became full of wet cycle clothing!
We ventured out for a bite to eat having considered the hotels food options a little pricey for our budget. Found a nearby pub and enjoyed a simple meal washed down with a couple of local ales. Friendly service too.
The next morning came and breakfast awaited. I don't wish to offend but it was a little like Gods waiting room. The majority of guests appeared to be retired persons. Mrs Bouquet would fit in well !
A lady staff member was orchestrating the breakfast proceedings. The other young ladies in her charge all seemed to be of Eastern European descent and were being ushered round by strict voice commands. I felt quite sorry for them. The Young ladies were all very polite.
Breakfast selection was good but i couldn't help but feel I just wanted to eat and get underway.
We returned to our bikes only to find they had been moved along from where we had left them. I would assume to access cleaning products because on closer inspection I think thats what the area was used for.
Over all I didn't consider the hotel to be too bad. Certainly for a 1 night stay like ourselves it was fine. I found the atmosphere a little muted but this maybe unjust as in such a short stay it is impossible to form a fair opinion.
Would I stay again ? I probably would, but more to do with convenience rather than as a first choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Pasteiner, General Manager at The Lymm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for having taken the time to write such an extensive and interesting review. It was good to hear that you found the Lymm Hotel very convenient when using the Trans Pennine Trail. We do get a large amount of walkers, bicyclists and even chartiy expeditions taking advantage of the easy access to the Trail all year round.
We do pride ourselves on the quailty of our breakfast and it was unfortunate that precise instructions needed for the smooth running of the breakfast service was within earshot of our guests. We do offer secure storage of cycles for the night and even the use of a tap and hose to clean them if required.
It was good to read that you left the next day refreshed after your night at the Lymm Hotel and the hearty brekafast that we offer.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Our regional meeting ran smoothly - excellent room and well looked after. Rooms are fine, but the annexe is dated. Staff were great and really accommodating - especially Mark the immensely kind and professional night porter who kept us watered into the small hours. Breakfast was extremely good and the service in the restaurant was exceptional.

Room Tip: Avoid the annexe!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the tie to write a review about the Lymm Hotel. I was very glad to hear that you were very satisfied with how the hotel catered for your business meeting. We do pride ourselves on the quality of the responsibly sourced food that we supply and the standard of the Macdonald Meetings@ product that we offfer. The bedrooms are being repainted and supplied with new duvets and piollows which I am sure will greatly improve the standard of our accommodation. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Lymm Hotel.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

my wife and i have stayed here quite a few times over the last few years.to visit family.After this last visit i now think this is our last.This is not due to the staff/service but the hotel is in need of refurb .Stayed in the main building 114 ,carpets worn,bathroom mould tiles stained decor disgusting,definately not a patch on what it used to be,Food in bar was good but drink prices extortionate ,also got to be a problem with booking system overcharged us by 25 quid be aware.

Room Tip: check before u book
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Pasteiner, General Manager at The Lymm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay. As I am sure that you noticed when you were here, we are in the process of refurbishing many of our rooms and it looks as if the one that you received was not one of them.
I am glad that you found the team very helpful and it is a pity that you did not draw our attention to the concerns that you had during your stay.
Our beverage prices are very much in line with other estabishments in the area and in fact are lower than all full service hotels in the Warringlton.
Please do contact me on your next visit to the area and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Lymm Hotel.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed here for work with a large group. I have to say the place is clean, the staff were all great, especially the ladies who served us at breakfast. My room was in the main building, it was clean and modern looking, the main ceiling light wasn't working, but there were plenty of lamps, so I didn't bother to say anything. Some of my colleagues in the annex were amused by the 70's bathroom suite colours.

The bar was reasonably stocked and the Jenning's Cumbrian ale was certainly on form. The main meal I have to say, was distinctly lack lustre- nothing you could really complain about, but dry meat and hardish potatoes, the single slice of carrot was quite amusing though.

Breakfast was a different story though, excellent with as much coffee and toast as you wanted, good choice of food, I would have been miffed if I had to pay £17:50 for it.

So overall for a work trip it was fine, if I had paying the bill myself though I may well have felt differently.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us including the Cumberland Ale and the excellent quality of our breakfast. It was good to hear that you found the team very helpful and friendly.
Your comment about the meal has been noted and I would like to apologise that you found the meal a bit dry. I trust that you mentioned it to my colleagues on the night who would have done their upmost to rectify your concern, as we have very skilled Chefs in the kitchen,who enjoy preparing our offering from the responsibly sourced and reared food items that we receive from our carfully vetted suppliers.
Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here recently for 2 nights, we booked and paid on hotels.com for 2 nights but when we reached reception they checked on the computer and it was on the system as only one night, our paperwork proved that we had booked what we said. Anyway, as mentioned before the room was a bit dated but clean, beds were comfortable, the only complaint was breakfast excellent though it was, we didn't realise how much it cost till after the second day, at £17.50 each I think it's an outrageous amount to charge, not knowing the area and not having transport meant we had no choice. I can see the management saying that breakfast can be booked in advance for £10 each and looking on the hotels.com website I've just looked at the cost of booking 2 nights next week (4/11-5/11), it quotes 2 prices for the first one is £64 a night (average) and the second one £84 a night that hilariously includes free breakfast amazingly £10 each per day more or the same cost as pre paid for breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Pasteiner, General Manager at The Lymm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I was glad to read that you found the hotel comfortable and clean and that the arrangements worked well for you.
I was sorry to hear about the confusion about the rate of breakfast. We here - and all internet booking sites when booking here - do offer : room only rates and inclusive breakfast rates. The additional charge for this is £10 for the breakfast per person. Some guests are quite happy not to take inclusive breakfast due to early departures or not feeling like a substantail beakfast and therefore take the flat rate for the room only regardless of one or two or three guests in the room.
However the normal rate for brekafast if not included in the room price is £17.50, but there again guests can purchase a voucher for a reduced rate for brekfast if they change their mind the night before. Don't hesitate to contact me next time you stay so that I can clarify the situation over a coffee and a croissant or bacon roll!