“Rooms need a refurb”

The Lymm Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lymm
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Can't grumble about anything bar the rooms which, as others have said, are right out of the 70s.

The breakfast was great, bar fine, staff nice enough, it's just the rooms that mean I would be unlikely to stay there again unless I wanted to film an episode of Life on Mars.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Goz007
Pasteiner, General Manager at The Lymm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thanks for your comments.
Its great to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and found the staff here at the Lymm Hotel very pleasant.
Your comment about the rooms has been noted and we have got a rolling refubishment programme in place with some excellent rooms but in the traditional style that reflects our hotel.
Give me a call on your next visit so that I can show you around.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights to attend a wedding. We were given a room in what was referred to as the family wing because we had two children. The room just about held four beds which were all proper beds, one bed had been put in as the extra bed but I don't think even with just three beds it was a very spacious room ! The decor was early 1990s. There was a kettle and a decent amount of tea etc. A notice said you could phone for fresh milk if you did not want the little plastic things of milk.
The bathroom had black mould round the bath and some large cracks in the tiles. There was holes hacked out of the wall below the sink. Having said that, it was clean.
The room was very dark indeed, overshadowed by trees and another building. It was necessary to have lights on at all times. I am afraid to say that we did not get much sleep on the first night, so much for being in the family wing as the last family went to bed at 1.30 !(very noisily, standing talking in the corridor outside our room and going in and out til 2.20 when it all culminated with a man shouting at a toddler to stop crying) The walls were quite thin and each time a door shut it sounded like it was our door ! The door to our corridor led straight to outside and so I did not leave the children in the room even when asleep, it was a bit too public.
We ate in the restaurant one evening and were impressed with the standard of the food and the service. The children had lovely puddings (I had one too, they were so good!) and the overall standard of cooking was high. Breakfast is indeed worth having, self service for everything bar hot drinks and toast, but of a high quality and a great choice. The staff were first rate and seemed really motivated, service at breakfast was five star. It was almost like being in one hotel for the rooms and another for the food !
The hotel is heavily geared towards functions with a wedding every day when we were there and as I have mentioned some of the guests were a bit less than thoughtful and well mannered ref late night noise in the "family" block so if you plan to stay here check where they are putting you if you have young children ! A shame as it would be a good base as the centre of Lymm has nice restaurants and you can get to the M6 Chester, Merseyside and the Wirral really easily.

Room Tip: Do not sleep in the "family" wing, ask for one away from the functions.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Squawky1

Thank you for your interesting comments.
It was lovely to read that you enjoyed your stay for the wedding and found it a good base to visit the Northwest. We do welcome children and have many family style rooms sleeping three and four together with menus designed for children..
We are very proud of our catering which was bourne out by your views on your dinner and breakfast experience.
It is unfortunate that some guests are not very thoughtful about other guests late at night but we do have areas of the hotel which are very quiet even when we have got one of our many events going on.
When you want to vist the area and want to use us as a base - give me a call!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here for a wedding this weekend and was really disappointed in this hotel. I have to admit I didn't notice when I booked it that it had a three star rating but it was a wedding and staying on site was a must.
Check in was average at best and I was told I could pay for my room with my switch card but couldn't pre-authorise any food or drink as I wasn't using a credit card. I stay at hotels all over the world and have never heard that one before.
Then there was the double room which had a double bed and a single bed. This left very little room to move in what was a compact little room. However the room was extremely dated, wouldn't have looked out of place in the seventies. The ironing board that I was informed twice would be there.......wasn't there and the phone system to call reception was out of order. My wife and I also found the bed and mattress to be very poor and struggled to get any decent sleep on both nights. I would say however that the room appeared to be very clean with good towels and plenty of very hot water.
The best part of this hotel is the food offering. On Friday night we had dinner there and the quality was as good if not better than many five star hotels I have stayed in and the staff couldn't have been more helpful and attentive. It really was an unexpected treat. The only downside was the price. Very expensive but in hindsight I do have to say it turned out worth the money.
The good food experience was repeated at breakfast and at our wedding buffet. Breakfast had a great choice of hot and cold foods and again the staff were excellent when it came to looking after us with tea, coffee and toast.
I also found bar prices to be on the high side, comparable with many top city hotels but there was plenty staff available at peak periods.

Room Tip: No pool and no fitness centre.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marko39
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed here for one night whilst on business, but from my flying visit I was pleased with the choice.

The best bit was the breakfast - good quality food cooked to order, the best hotel breakfast I've had for some time. Also good were the location (quiet), the evening meals (again, good quality ingredients), parking (ample), the staff (competent), and the Club room, which we used for a business meeting the next day.

The main reason for not scoring 5 stars was the room. It was a little tired, and offered a grim view of the utility area and staff smoking shelter.

Overal then, a definite recommendation

Room Tip: If you end up in 118 I'd keep the curtains shut!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Matt F
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stopped at this Hotel because of it's closeness to the Motorway and for that it's good. The staff were as mentioned in other reviews very helpful and full of enthusiasm and information. The Breakfast was of a good quality and well presented. I had a couple of drinks in the Bar which were not unduly expensive given that this is a Hotel not a Pub. I had an evening meal also in the Bar which was Scotch Broth followed by a Gammon Steak, all very good and tasty. There was only one negative and that was the Bedroom room. The window was old and not secure. The floor of the room had not been cleaned well if at all. There were stains on the linen and worst of all stains on the Chair which were either blood or something worse. This general dirtyness lets the Hotel down from being a good place to stay to one to avoid especially at £75 a night for a dirty bed room.

Room Tip: Check out the room before accepting it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bryn W
Reviewed September 3, 2012

me,my wife and another couple went to a friends wedding reception/evening do and was pleasantly suprised at the relaxed ambiance of the place.it's not the biggest of hotels but its the better for it.the staff were informative and friendly and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank musclesWarrington
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for one night as a family of 3.

The hotel is fairly small, but has a cosy feel to it.

The staff are a credit to the hotel, they are very polite and always greet you with a smile.

We were given a family room on the ground floor. It was a little dated and could do with modernising, however, considering there were two double beds in the room, it was not at all cramped.

Our room faced the car park, and there were a lot of trees and shrubbery by the windows which made the room very dark (when I opened the curtains at 9am, I thought it was still the middle of the night). You need the lights on in the room, even in the day.

On the whole, the hotel is cosy, small and friendly, just in need of updating from the 80's.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymm
Statham Lodge Hotel
ibis Budget Warrington Lymm Services
The Park Royal
The Park Royal
#1 of 3 in Stretton

Been to The Lymm Hotel? Share your experiences!