“Bon voyage”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bygones Bistro - CLOSED

Bygones Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cancun, Mexico
“Bon voyage”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Thankyou so much for my good Meal.After visiting my son he took me out for a leaving meal before I set off on my long trip home.
What can I say apart from Excellent in every way Food, Service and surroundings everything was just perfect
Next time I am in England this will be my first stop !!

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“First Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Myself and my wife regularly eat and Bygones and on this occasion we ate here with some of our friends.We booked a table of 8 people at 7.30pm. We arrived at 7.15 for some pre dinner drinks and was greeted by the ever friendly and professional staff, the building itself is fabulous and the decor very tasteful.On to the meal this was as usual excellently presented and all our friends agreed cooked by a chef who really knows his stuff.I had the mixed grill which was first class !!.Desserts where again beautifully present and tasted fantastic especially the creme brulee.
This restaurant is well worth a visit trust me! cant wait to go back again. Well done everybody !!!!

Whittlesey, United Kingdom
“Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

The perfect Birthday for my dad...we always have a big family get together on birthdays and this time we decided on Bygones. We have often been for small tables and it has been faultless, but this time we had 14 in the party so we hoped it would live upto our previous visits.
we arrived at 7.30 to we greeted with two very helpfully ladies who promtly got our drinks and showed us to our tables.
We were given menu's and told about the specials on offer, our order was taken shortly after afterward and we were eating by 8pm which please my hurgry family
The meal was excellent I wont list all the dish as i think we all had something different but it ranged from Mussels, Pate, Samosa and Wild Mushroom Tart for starters and for our mains course I had SeaBass... mmmm, other's I remember were Fillet Steak, Duck in Honey Sauce and Chicken wrapped Bacon with a Stilton sauce. A few of us managed a homemade desserts but i was to full..But the perfect evening was finished off by my dad's dessert coming our on a plate with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on it and all the staff singing,,,.. excellent what more can I say apart from cant wait to go again

March, United Kingdom
“Bygone by name, new by nature!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

My wife and I had to pop to Whittlesey for a Scouting meeting, and needed a meal before it started. I work opposite the Bistro and always noted it was busy but never really had the opportunity to visit. So on the off chance we popped in to see of there was availability for a meal. On entering the Bistro we were met by waiting staff at the bar who ascertained that we did not have a reservation, however there was room for us. The waiter was polite and attentive and not overbearing as some can be.
One thing I must note is the service in the Bistro is one of the best I have had in the fenland area, it was good old fashioned service, polite and interested, ensuring the correct cutlery was placed on the table for out meal - normal knives removed and steak knives put in their place.

My wife had the Gammon steak which ordinarily comes with chips and peas etc. As my wife is a little fussy she asked if they would replace the pea's with salad, they were more than happy to do so.
I had the mixed grill with all the normal trimmings.

The food came reasonably quickly on large plates which was surprising as the menus were reasonably priced, the plates were hot as was all the food. Neither my wife or I could find fault with any of the food and I am generally fussy with my steak! Portion sizes were very generous and my wife failed to eat all on her plate and I was unable to finish her chips for her...

We did not have starters or desert on this visit, as we were pressed for time, however the menu had a good selection.

The bistro itself is quite attractive, it is dark but intimate it is divided into area's which enhances the intimacy of the venue - it is old fashioned looking which is in keeping with its name "Bygones" but it is tastefully done. There is a larger upstairs function room and I noted brochures stating they cater for weddings etc.

Whilst eating there, the Bistro catered for other couples and families and the building had a good vibe about it, I did not note any music etc. which for me is good, as quite often music in restaurants can be off putting when talking to my wife or friends.

I can personally recommend this Bistro for couples, families, its certainly good for a small group of friends.

If I were to make any recommendations it would be to do something with the windows... They look a little unwelcoming from the exterior and the A4 notices in the windows detract a little from the overall look to the venue.

Oh! forgot to mention the fact that the day of the visit was a Tuesday, currently they have an offer on Tuesdays where if you buy two main meals you get the cheaper of the two free! So the cost for two main meals which were really good, two glasses of lemonade was under £12.00! which when taking all of the above into account was phenomenal value for money.

All in all, A happy couple who will look forward to going back to try out some more of the menu!

• Visited July 2012