“Very nice place in Wendake!!! Great food!”
Review of The Sagamite

The Sagamite
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Wendake
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Travelling to Wendake was really a nice experience and The Sagamite confirmed the goodness of our choice of visiting the places of the Hurons.
Though it was a rainy day, the staff was very friendly, and the food...special, not the ususal things you eat in Canada.
We had mushroom soup that was very warm and tasty, then meat very tender and fish very tasty.
Excellent place to do something different.

1  Thank Mickbianco

Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stayed in Wendake for 2 nights & full day. We stayed @ the Musee/First Nations Hotel and sampled the area's attractions (but that's another review). On the 2nd & last night, we had dinner @ the Sagamite (pronounced Sa-GAM-e-tay according to our server). I was a little concerned, given the number of poor-to-fair & ambivalent TA reviews.

I am very happy to say that Sagamite is, by far, the best place in town and it would be VERY good in any town I know. They serve one of the best meat dishes I've ever had. I am puzzled by the unenthusiastic reviews on TA.

Clearly, their premier dish is a grilled game "shish-kabob" kind of dish for two. They do have other dishes (e.g. Veal Parmesan?!?!) but I suspect that they are intended for locals who want SOMETHING to eat besides big game. Whatever, after some spirited negotiation with a francophone server, we finally deduced that what we should have was the game-for-two. The big issue was wether or not we wanted just the Main or 4 courses. We went with just the Main - a good choice in retrospect. We also had some soup but that was not particularly notable.

What we were served were large portions of deer, elk, bison & caribou, perfectly cooked (rare) presented on a wonderfully practical cylindrical contraption with spikes holding the individual pieces of meat. Think Churrasco but stationary. Whiskey flambé and bread sponges added panache to the presentation. A plate of accompanying starch & apple was made available to set the meat pieces on while you carve them. It was wonderful. Not cheap (99 $CAN) but well in line with the very expensive Canadian cost structures.

The owners are undertaking an expansion which adds to the seemingly frenzied kind of environment. I hope they don't lose the spirit of the place.

1  Thank x_sailr
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I went there a few years ago and I remember loving everything, so I was really excited to go back . Unfortunately, this time, nothing was up to my expectations; the waitress gave us a menu and kind of ignored us for a bit after that , not even looking at the table ( and we were the only one in there , so it's not like if she was too busy), only refilled our water glasses once and the bread they serve at the begginning really is a bit average. We both got a meat dish (bison and elk) , we asked for rare, mine was almost well done and both of our meat had been slowly cooked on a cold frying pan (or tasted that way anyway), not seared like meat like this should be. Dishes like this could taste awesome, it just didn't taste like anything that great this time. Also , they don't even have an English menu (we were told so anyway) ; I know we're in Quebec and all, but this restaurant is advertised quite a bit in tourism leaflets as a "place to try/do not miss, etc" in the Québec area and if tourism is involved, I think you should be able to provide an English version of your menu. ( I speak french so I didn't mind I could translate for my boyfriend, but for English tourists, it might be a bit confusing)

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Our second night stay, I decided to try the sagamité. They were renovating, expanding. Decided to order take-out and bring it to my hotel room. The food was great! The staff was super friendly and went out of their way to find me ustensils and plates so that I could enjoy my meal in my room. Would recommend this restaurant and would go back anytime. They were very busy so I would recommend reservations and you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

It was my 4th or 5th time at this restaurant. We went as a couple, we took a visiting friend and also a few times as a group.
The first visits were great. New and original food with a focus on native culture. Basket with banik and other breads with grains and dry fruits. There was a real focus on the quality and authenticity of food. If you go now, you will get generic bread with maybe some sort of raisin bread, the soup was cream of mushroom that tasted somewhat like something Campbell's make. My tiny portion of wapiti served with a mush of potatoes and cheese was unremarquable and a bit tasteless.
But worst of all the service was horrible. Our server told us to order right now otherwise we would disturb the pace of the kitchen, she never took our drinks orders, our plates were mixed up and the water girl spilled water on everything while refiling.
Not the kind of experience I recommend. This place as lost it's way and it seems its only going downhill.