“Excellent value”

Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whittlesford
“Excellent value”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed for one night and were genuinely impressed by the size and comfort of the room. There was a truly excellent modern shower and we had tea and coffee facilities too. Service was quick and efficient and for £47 for the night the room and hotel was truly excellent value.

On the down-side breakfast was pretty basic but to be fair, we could have upgraded to full English for an additional £4.95 and at £47 for the night it seems almost churlish to complain.

Not somewhere we would use for an extended stay but fabulous value for a night or two if visiting Cambridge.

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to supply your feedback.

I was pleased we matched your expectations and glad the price was to your liking also.

Please look out for future deals, we are constantly looking to provide deals to entice customers to South Cambridgeshire.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Ross Ferguson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Indonesian first
Stroud
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The hotel is in a very good location for both business travellers and tourists as it is just off the M11 and by Whittlesford railway station. It looks like it has been recently built with decent fixtures and fittings. The staff were courteous and welcoming throughout our stay and the family room already had the sofa bed made up. We were visiting family so we only ate breakfast there which we thought was actually quite good. There was a good choice of cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurt, small pastries, scrambled egg, sausage & baked beans. You could be really critical and say that the hot food could have been hotter and that the pastries were tiny but to be honest it was much better than having a Little Chef meal as some chains do and for a quick breakfast it's fine. As others have said, there's always the Red Lion for an upgrade. The room itself overlooked the car park. It was very clean and quiet and we slept well. The only negatives for us were that the soap/shower gel dispensers in the bathroom don't work very well so shouldn't be relied on and the sink is positioned quite high up. Luckily our 8 year old is quite tall so he managed ok but if you were staying with a child under about 6 yrs they'd have difficulty reaching the sink. We managed to book in advance and get a room for £67 which makes this hotel a great choice for a family of three! We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

My apologies for the shower gel issue. We are changing all dispensers due to the problems it is causing customers.

The location is ideal for our area and with the train station next to us, easy to get into and out of Cambridge.

I was pleased to read you will be retiring so please keep an eye out for some great spring deals which will be available very soon.

Bristol, England
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Very modern, nicely-appointed rooms - but weirdly old-fashioned mattress: it was springy and saggy, which combined with hard synthetic pillows (even though labelled "soft") didn't give a great night's sleep. Otherwise, a pleasant stay; we had a room overlooking the car park and weren't aware of a single train (cf. previous reviews). Very good bathroom, staff extremely pleasant, cleanliness spot-on. It's well worth paying the extra £5 per person for breakfast in the Red Lion next door - great full-English with excellent service. Given the price and location (so quick and easy to Cambridge by car or train) it's a good choice and is a good example of a Holiday Inn Express. Would use again in the interests of economy, but not if feeling a little more flush.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the car-park side; doesn't over look the railway so quite quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I'm sorry to read the issues you had with the mattress. We will check the mattresses and find out if some perhaps need to be replaced. To keep the life of the mattress we turn these on a three monthly.

The hotel is one of the newest hotels in the Holiday Inn Express category. We spend a great deal of time with preventative maintenance to keep the hotel looking fresh and up to date.

I was pleased you found no noise during your stay, we do have ear plugs if customers struggle to sleep.

The hotels policy is to employ staff with personality and genuine attitudes over experience. We can teach people the systems and procedures but not how to be nice and welcoming to customers.

I hope you will return in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This has the potential to be a great hotel for the money. Its really well located for Cambridge being just one stop on from Cambridge on the train to Whittlesford Parkway and it literally backs onto Whittlesford Parkway train station. I think it was £5.10 return to Cambridge by train and an easy 10 min train journey.

There is ample free parking on site, there is a pub called the Red Lion within 50 yards that does nice food (but not cheap!) and just down the road is a garage and a MacDonalds.

The building and accomodation is great as are the friendly helpful staff. We had room 129 which overlooks the platform at the station and yes you could hear the trains but they didn't disturb you, you were more dimly aware of them in the background. The rooms were very clean and presentable and the bathroom was of a high standard.

Now where this place lets itself down, which are all easily solvable:-

1. Cheap toilet rolls (hate em!)
2. The free breakfast - well lets face it they are not "free", they come as part of the room rate and they are a great idea but.... the quality of the food is pretty dire, cheapest sausages possible, scrambled eggs that taste like powdered eggs and bread sliced so thinly, its one step up from tissue paper and it tastes similar too - sorry just being honest, it needs to be a bit better quality!
3. Wifi - when we booked (we are in the Priority Club) we understood it was free WIfi in the public areas but this was not the case, it was £5 per 24hrs! In this day and age surely free wifi in public areas is do-able? I was advised that there was free wifi at the pub across the road but I wanted to access it whilst having breakfast so we could plan our day so I ended up paying £5 - a bit disappointing really.

Having said all of that, it was still a bargain for the money and ideally located for our needs and I would happily go again, I might just take my own loo roll and eat my breakfast elsewhere!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front fo the hotel to avoid any noise from the station if you are a light slee...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear KJAVW,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and parking.

However, I would like to offer a sincere apology regarding the poor breakfast selection, poor wifi and poor bathroom amenities. We will address these points.I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

If you are suffering from insomnia and an avid train spotter then this is the hotel for you. For me, working away from home is usually a time for me to catch up on sleep (I have an 18 month old) but as you may have guessed from the tone of this review it was far from it. The hotel is in a dip between the railway line and a busy road. The trains run through the night and are clearly audible. After two nights of not sleeping I asked to change rooms, stating the reason why so they moved me to a room right next to the road at road level. The noise was as you would expect from camping next to a road. Straight away I went back to reception where the girl working on reception was extremely helpful and got me moved into a room at the pub which is part of the hotel. I thought it was christmas until the next train thundered through and I found the window catch was missing so it was impossible to close the window fully to try and block out the noise. At this point I gave up and accepted I wasn't going to sleep until friday night when I get home. I can't wait for a lie in till 6am when my son wakes me up and not the express to London.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank gareth j
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Gareth J,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept my sincerest apology for the experience you had with the noise. I understand the discomfort this has caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Whittlesford hotels

Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Another visit for three nights. Nice location, especially if you travel by train. Reception very helpful and welcoming. On other side of the hotel, away railway platform this time so slept well. Room facilities reasonable for a 'business' traveller. Good choice of food for breakfast. However, for the entire stay the soap dispensers remained empty. This should be checked during (daily) room service, and the lack of provision of this basic facility is simply not good enough. Fortunately, I did bring my own soap this time. Musty smell from the bathroom. Could be a problem with the ventilation/fan and/or drainage.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear drmjo,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback. I am pleased you found our room accommodations good and enjoyed breakfast. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. However, I would like to apologize that our room service and the smell of the bathroom fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our guests enable us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Zelyn N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Booked to stay here after having spent the day at a nearby spa. Arrived at the hotel late on a Saturday night - were the only three guests in the lobby. Met by three members of staff - one manager, one normal member of staff and one trainee. All three ignored us for the first few minutes and then the normal member of staff grunted at us. Checked us in - with no welcome or how are you or is there anything else we can do!
We then went up to the room. Found the sofa bed was of very unsatisfactory standards - when sitting on it, could feel the frame poking through. The bed was also too soft and collapsed almost to the ground when we sat on it.
Went back down to reception to complain and spoke to the "manager". When I told her the nature of my complaint - I was told; "Well all our rooms and beds are like that! There's nothing I can do!" I was absoloutely disgusted by her response as she could have dealt with it better by offering to look and see if there were any other rooms available or even by offering some blankets to pad the beds out. But she seemed still not to have been done with her moan. She then went on to accuse me of trying to sneak three people into a room paid for for only two people! To which I told her to recheck her system as I had paid the £15 supplement for the third person in the room. When she did check she found me to be telling the truth and instead of appologising - she again grunted at me!
Absoloutely disgraceful behaviour from someone that is supposed to be a 'manager' and that too to do that in front of a trainee!
Will NEVER book at this holiday inn ever again! And certainly wouldn't recommend anyone else do either - unless you enjoy being spoken to like something someone has scrapped off the bottom off their shoe for no good reason!
Shame on you Holiday Inn as a company! You need to reassess who you hire as "managers" and train them on how to deal with full paying, priority club rewards members!

Room Tip: Just don't even go here if you can avoid it!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MissATK83
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear MissATK83,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay us. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whittlesford
Travelodge Cambridge Fourwentways
The Saffron Hotel
The Saffron Hotel
#3 of 3 in Saffron Walden
Ibis Cambridge Central Station

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10? Share your experiences!