“Very Pleasant Discovery”
Review of The Tickell Arms

The Tickell Arms
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A fantastic Grade 2 listed building with a new conservatory overlooking its iconic pond. The food is Modern British/European with an emphasis on locally sourced, fresh, seasonal ingredients. The menu changes every 2 months with a specific cut of meat, fish, fowl or game being the focus of each menu. The Tickell is also a traditional country pub with wood burning stoves, great real ales and a very well considered wine list. The Tickell Arms is a former coaching inn which was transformed into a country pub/restaurant in the 1960's by the flamboyant Kim Tickell. With its striking blue exterior, eclectic decor and service it gained a level of notoriety. Kim Tickell passed away in 1991 and afterwards the building lost a lot of its lustre & appeal. It had been closed 2 years before we undertook a major refurbishment to restore it to something approaching its former glory.
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I was staying in the area for the Duxford Air Show. My first evening, I decided to take a walk and see what would come about for a light dinner.

I happened upon the Tickell Arms. They have a pub side and a restaurant side, I opted to sit outside in the garden area of the restaurant beside the lovely pond. I was the only one there but understandably, the place was pretty busy by the time I left. The garden was beautiful with the fountain and birds flitting around.

I had a pint and ordered the pan-fried gnocchi with greens and pepper coulis. It was delicious and just right for a light dinner along with the accompanying bread, olive oil and balsamic. With dinner I ordered a robust red which was very well described on the wine list. I very much appreciate that there are some vegetarian options on the menu! Service was attentive but never pushy, just right.

I had coffee afterwards which was served in a press-type coffee maker. Lots of instant coffee in the UK but not here!

I intend to go back again someday when I visit the UK again!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Went here last night, had a terrific new menu We both had fish for mains and were not disappointed everything was cooked to perfection. The wine list is very good as well plenty to chose from and all reasonably priced. They have definitely pitched this correctly. The service was great the staff were very friendly and helpful. In the toilets you are treated to black Adder dialogue, which is really quirky but very funny. It is good how they change their menu on a regular basis so you don't get bored. You can have drinks at the bar before sitting down, and if you are all drinking they have no objections to your car being left over night in their car park. They do have outside seating if the weather is good enough. The general seating is split between the conservatory area and main restaurant. The conservatory has been refurbed to a high standard.

Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Don't think pub grub for the Tickell Arms! The restaurant menu gave an excellent choice of appealling dishes and superb selection of wines. Staff were appropriately attentive and served with understanding and courtesy. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and the calm atmosphere. Highly recommended.

1  Thank SeeGrandadYeah
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Years ago when I was a student the Tickell Arms was was a lively country pub with an eccentric landlord. Now it has very much gone up market and is a very smart place. We dropped in during a sunny afternoon just for a coffee. The garden with its pond was delightful and I did not remember it having an attractive pergola with pleasant places to sit surrounded by plants. Probably as a student I was more interested in the bar. The service was a little slow, perhaps the waiter lost sight of us, but the coffee when it came was very good and we greatly enjoyed the experience. One day I would like to go back in the evening for a meal, the restaurant was very inviting.

1  Thank John B
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Very good food in a lovely setting.only disappointment was the number of items on menu that had sold out. We booked a table at 8pm on Saturday night - not late. Plenty of people came in after us. A bit more planning of quantities by the chef and it would get 5 stars

1  Thank Pncmorr