“Two day Break” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wriggles Brook Gypsy B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hoarwithy
Wriggles Brook Gypsy B&B
Ranked #2 of 3 Hoarwithy B&B and Inns
Neath
“Two day Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I am a returning customer to Wriggles Brook, I stayed for two days in the doors and wagon caravan but previously stayed in the Showman's and Bow top, so I have experienced all three wagons.
Beautiful surroundings , ideal for wildlife watching , Jane and Jean Paul the owners have bird tables and feeders by every caravan, I have seen woodpeckers, tits, wood pigeon etc. and then in the surrounding fields, pheasant, farm animals and Rabbits and when driving through the Forest of Dean -Deer.
The Caravans are beautiful inside with tea and coffee facilities, lovely bedding and mattress, you do sleep very soundly and are awoken by the birds and stream very peaceful and relaxing.
On this visit I experienced a first cycle on an Electric Bike, the owners have acquired these bike for visitors , I went to the village of Hoarwithy on mine , ideal if you want a relaxing bike cycle , ideal on the hills you hardly pedal, ideal for anyone who would wish to see the surrounding areas and take it easy.
Jane and Jean Paul are a lovely couple , always friendly , very welcoming and you can ask them anything ,and the food served if you wish for meals there are lovley, warm and cooked well and presented well, the breakfast is ideal for a days hiking .
I have had a wonderful time and will always return to wriggles brook , its a magical piece of heaven ideal for students as well, you can write / do university work in beautiful surroundings and I've done many essays there and studied etc.
Thankyou again Jane and Jean Paul

Room Tip: Hot showers, dining area , garden area, wildlife tables and feeders, stream and small water fall., c...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was my second trip to Wriggles Brook, having gone there on a brief holiday in 2010, and this B&B has gone from strength to strength! Since my last visit, the Showman's wagon has been added to the plot, and each wagon now has its own 'en-suite' out house. My first trip to this delightful hotel in Herefordshire was with my mother, as a birthday surprise for her. Although we had a lovely time (despite the freezing April weather), I would suggest that the two bow-top wagons are more of a couples holiday place than a trip with friends or family. However, the new Showman's wagon is by all accounts great for families with children.

This time, I took my boyfriend for a pre-graduation celebration, and we stayed in the Doors and Windows wagon, which was just as cozy and comfortably as I remembered. The brilliant weather helped, but the perfection of lying on the hammock-for-two by the brook, drinking wine by the campfire, and walking in the beautiful area would have been hard to mess up.

The wagon itself is kitted out and decorated tastefully in purple and burgundy brocade, which complements the outside of the caravan without being too matchy-matchy. There is a cupboard underneath the almost-double bed, containing lap trays and a picnic blanket and outdoor cushions, with plenty of extra room for storing bulky suitcases or wellies. The bed is heavenly memory foam with a warm duvet (and a patchwork quilt for extra warmth), and there is a (very useful for short people like me!) wooden stool to help with climbing up to it. The coal-burning stove in the wagon is a great way to keep warm on chilly nights (like on my first visit back in April 2010), although there is a small electric radiator in case you aren't comfortable with burning coal in a wooden wagon. Being a relatively small space, the wagon interior is full of little cupboards and nooks and hooks for putting things away, and there is even a cupboard containing cards, books, and local maps. As an added bonus, the wagon has tea and coffee making facilities (kettle, mugs, etc) which (unlike many B&Bs which offer nescafe) includes a jar of delicious ground 'proper' coffee and a mini cafetiere. It's little touches like this which make Wriggles Brook such a wonderful place to stay.

The food was, as always, delicious. Alex and I ordered an evening meal on the first night, and were treated to beef and Guinness pie with roasted vegetables and potatoes from the Wriggles Brook garden, followed by a melt-in-the-mouth rich chocolate pudding, sprinkled with strawberries and pistachios - all served in the delightful dinner conservatory/greenhouse by candlelight and fairy lights.
For breakfast on both mornings, we had the meat-eaters full English: mushrooms, a poached egg, bacon, sausages, fried bread, tomatoes and beans. I don't usually like baked beans, but the ones served at Wriggles Brook are a real treat! We were also given generous amounts of toast and butter, and home-made plum jam.

The eco-friendly bathrooms and hygiene facilities were clean and perfectly lovely, despite my boyfriend's initial misgivings about composting loos etc, and the shower block (a very cute white wooden cabin with two showers and a mini-fridge for milk) contains all the eco-friendly shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel that you could wish for! In fact, it's probably a better idea to use their toiletries rather than taking your own; it saves on packing potentially leaky, heavy bottles and also keeps the shower water clean (which is definitely desirable, since they save the water to irrigate the vegetable patch).

There is plenty to do in the area, with a few local companies offering kayaking and canoeing on the River Wye as well as cycle hire, and a variety of nearby pubs. Hereford is only twenty minutes' drive away from Wriggles Brook, and boasts an attractive cathedral, original high street shops (I'd especially recommend The Mouse Trap cheese shop), and a rare chained library, with books and manuscripts dating back several centuries. If you're in the mood for a boozy trip, there is a single estate vodka and gin distillery a few miles north of Hereford - they only do tours on Fridays, but if you call ahead the staff there are happy to open up their little shop and let you sample a few of their spirits and liqueurs!

The only slight issue, of course, is transport: being set in gorgeous countryside means that the only way to reach Wriggles Brook is by car (and it helps to have a sat nav - my initial trip out there involved a lot of backing up country lanes and popping into pubs and shops for directions, whereas this time the sat nav system took me right up to the front gate). It is possible to travel by train to Gloucester, and then take a bus to Ross-on-Wye, and then take a taxi to Wriggles Brook, but by and large a car is the best way to get there!

As a confirmed fan, I have to recommend Wriggles Brook in the strongest terms. It's a great place to go in terms of originality, value for money, great food, wonderful hospitality, and interesting things to do. I've been recommending it to pretty much everyone I know, and will definitely be going back again (hopefully sooner than in 3 years time).

Room Tip: The Showman's caravan is best for families with children, whilst either of the bow-top wagons is...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Myself, my husband and our dog buster stayed in the open lot, for 3 nights, i was so excited to go and when we arrived it exceeded my expectations! buster was staight in the brook and paddled for hours and theres nothing møre relaxing then sittting by the camp fire listening to the brook and the birds, the surroundings are beautiful, great for dog walking. Now for the food- wow!! the best we have ever tasted! really reccomend booking at least one evening. I miss this place already and we will be back as soon as possible :)

• Stayed June 2013
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

we stayed in The Showman for two nights as part of our honeymoon and i really can't praise it highly enough. It was such a special little den, like your dream Wendy House! We'd arranged to eat there on the first night in the candelit glass house and had just about the best dessert we've ever had - and we've had a lot of desserts! Having a full English breakfast delivered to our private dining table in front of the caravan while we watched the birds was such luxury. Jane & JP are great hosts and have created a little haven - i urge you to go there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angie m
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Just back from Wrigglebrook, we stayed 6 days as 5 days wasn't enough! We stayed in the Open Lot, then the Showman on the extra night. Showman is better if you are tall according to Mr S...

What can I say? The location was perfect, the welcome was warm, the accommodation was delightful, Jane and JP were great hosts. The food was awesome, do book an evening meal with them - you really won't regret it, if you think the breakfast is great wait til you try the pie and paella! The tea was amazing too! We cooked over the open fire a couple of nights which was surprisingly easy and was great fun.

Worth a visit nearby Symonds Yat and the Forest of Dean which was triumphantly blanketed with bluebells, but there are loads of great walks right on your doorstep too.

We were with Hurley our 14 month old choc lab who is convinced it is heaven on earth as he had his own brook to splosh about in and I think he's probably right. (he is responsible for the Swimming pool excellent rating, he thought it was anyway!) I wish I lived there too...

All in all we will definitely return and are recommending it to all our friends. We loved it, it was just the tonic after a year with no holiday at all.

Room Tip: Tall folks go for the Showmans, romantics will love either Bowtop.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We have just had the most fantastic weekend at Wriggles Brook peace , quiet and a totally relaxing break would recomend this place to anyone wanting to escape the rat race. dont think about booking do it you wont regret it.Paul Egan

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NOSE58
Leominster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Loved sitting round a campfire listening to the brook. Wonderfully tranquil area, away from the ratrace. Great accommodation and a hearty breakfast. Had a most excellent stay, it was over all too quickly. Will be back again, sooner rather than later ;)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoarwithy
The Pilgrim Hotel
#1 of 1 in Sellack
Red Rail Farm
Red Rail Farm
#1 of 3 in Hoarwithy

Been to Wriggles Brook Gypsy B&B? Share your experiences!