“One couldn't hope for better hospitality”
Review of The Antlers

and 1 more site!
The Antlers
Ranked #3 of 5 Lybster B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I had such a wonderful stay with Sandy and Sandra that I went back a week later. Everything was wonderful, from the rooms and meals, to the hospitality and welcome from the two of them.

Upon arrival, Sandra welcomed me, gave me my choice of rooms - all of which are lovely - and then offered me tea. It was served in the living room, a pot of tea and a choice of biscuits. A short time later, Sandy came to say hello and stayed to chat. We had an amazing conversation; Sandy knows all the history of the area and is a fascinating storyteller. Sandra came in several times to check if I wanted dinner - she serves a choice of evening meals - and brought me the most delicious bowl of Cullen Skink (and then wouldn't charge me for it the next day!) I truly enjoyed that evening, visiting with Sandy and another guest.

At the end of my stay in Scotland, after a night in a B&B elsewhere that was not nearly so enjoyable, I wanted my last memory of Scotland to be a positive one. Knowing that I would find this with Sandra and Sandy, I travelled from Inverness up to the Antlers for my last night. And it was even more memorable than I could ever have planned.

Sandra greeted me at the door like an old friend, and took me into the living room to join Sandy and the other guests for tea. After more stories, Sandy (remembering that I had been asking about boat trips) asked if I'd like to go out in his boat. I jumped at the chance, and we headed over to Lybster harbour. We headed out to sea, and noting another boat bringing in Mackerel, Sandy threw a line in to catch a few as well. Upon pulling in his line, Sandy casually noted that there were porpoises circling the boat! Apparently they are fairly rare in that area, so I was lucky to see them.

When we returned to the B&B, Sandra had dinner ready - homemade fish and chips, with Cranachan (unbelievably delicious!) for dessert. Sandy and I talked for ages, and I hated to head to bed.

My stay with Sandy and Sandra at the Antlers was by far the highlight of my 3 week trip to Scotland. They both went out of their way to ensure I had an amazing stay. I hope to stay in touch with them, and on my next trip to Scotland I will definitely be returning for another visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Shannen Mc M
There are newer reviews for The Antlers

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We had booked into a B and B in Wick however on driving past and seeing the area we decided not to stay and would take our chances and try and find somewhere else to stay. This turned out to be the best decision of our trip. On seeing the sign for Antler B&B we turned down the road, We were met by Sandra who offered us tea and coffee and to have a look round the house to see which room we wanted and if we wanted to stay, the answer from both of us was a resounding 'YES'. Sandra then offered us an evening meal and we were given a menu to beat any menu we had seen all week and the food was outstanding, Whilst we were waiting for our meal to be home cooked by Sandra we were joined in the sitting room by Sandy. Both Sandy and my dad had things in common and we all enjoyed a good old Scottish blether. After dinner to blether continued with Sandra and Sandy being two of the nicest, friendliest and interesting people we have met. In the morning we were given an outstanding Scottish breakfast again all home cooked by Sandra. Sadly it was then time to leave and we were sent on our way, happy, contented and with a feeling of sadness that we had to leave and couldn't stay for longer. We will definitely return to see Sandy, Sandra and Doddy the pup and will be recommending The Antlers to all our friends and family. A huge thanks to Sandy and Sandra for your hospitality and making us feel so welcome :-)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Elaine P
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My son and I had been looking for a B&B for the night and were giving up hope as there are very few in this part of Scotland. My son said "We need a miracle." Shortly after we saw the sign for The Antlers B&B. What a welcome! The door was thrown wide open by Sandy who then gave me a tour of his beautiful, outstanding home. We had the choice of any of the bedrooms and what rooms! Super King sized beds in spacious well appointed rooms. We were then offered an evening meal from a good and varied selection of the three courses on offer. The Haddock was among the best we have eaten, but I am sorry to say our appetites did not do Justice to the amount of food on offer, the dessert was amazing. All Home cooked by Sandra and on the table in about an hour from giving our order.That hour passed quickly as we were being entertained by Sandy an interesting and lovable gentleman. Afterwards we retired to the lounge and a tray with tea and chocolates was brought for us. There was more conversation and offer of refreshment before we retired for the night. The bright sunny morning brought far reaching views across the North Sea while we tackled our breakfast, the porridge was heavenly and again, everything was cooked to perfection. Sadly the time to leave had come, the only comfort we have now is that we will return. Our time at The Antlers was short but the memories everlasting. We feel we met as strangers but left as friends.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Anne R
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We received a warm welcome and great hospitality from Sandy and Sandra. The house and rooms were lovely, very comfortable with great views. The breakfasts were delicious and there was a good choice from the evening menu as well. We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay and we would definitely go back

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank avcolley
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We came across the antlers on a trip around Scotland in May this year, we decided that we would try B&B. The Antlers was a lovely place to say and Sandy and Sandra made us feel very welcome. The house is lovely very spacious, comfortable and with amazing views.

We arrived late in the afternoon, Sandra had a nice menu for us to choose from, my hubby was very surprised to find he was served caviar with his quails eggs, lovely. After we could have full use of the living room, Sandra made us a pot of tea accompanied by a range of after eight mints, chocolates and other goodies, luxury.
The bedroom was very comfy so much so I did not want to get up in the morning, this was not a
problem as we were told we could have our breakfast when we wanted, and what a breakfast.
I would recommed a stay at The Antlers if you are travelling the lovely sites of Scotland, or maybe just wanting a bit of luxury and a nice peaceful weekend away, give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jteams
Reviewed June 11, 2012

just on the A99 out of Wick, Antlers is homely and first class, rooms are big and clean, breakfast is massive, I challenge you to get through it all, evening meals are provided if needed and are home cooked to order, better than any of the local hotels

Stunning views, great company and bargain sheepskins for sale as well

Room Tip: all roms are very good from what we saw
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank robv12
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I have stayed many times in hotels and B&B's in Northern Scotland, mainly in the Lybster area not far from Thurso. Wick and of course John O Groats, and to be honest have been very disapointed with either service, the state of the rooms, and in some instances breakfast which I like when away from home. That was until I stayed at the Anters just along the road from Lybster. I cannot rate this place highly enough. A good hearty Breakfast. My room was spotless and was so comforable it could be confused with that of a 3 star hotel. The couple who run the Antlers treated me like a member of the family and would sit with me on an evening in front of a roaring welcoming fire while watching TV but made it clear if I wanted privacy they would honour my wishes. They have three rooms one of which includes a 4 poster bed and the prices very reasonable infact I doubt you can find cheaper in the area. I have now stayed 3 times and look forward to my return the next time I am in Scotland. Colin from Sunderland.

Room Tip: Only 3 rooms so best book before travel. You could call when in the area. but dont be disapointed ge...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Colin N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lybster
Norseman Hotel
#1 of 1 in Latheron
Bank Guesthouse
Bank Guesthouse
#7 of 19 in Wick

Been to The Antlers? Share your experiences!