“Elegant hotel, but not quite as good as it charges for”

Cameron Highlands Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Tanah Rata
Bucks. UK
“Elegant hotel, but not quite as good as it charges for”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

There have been some negative reports of this hotel recently so let’s get the bad side over with first. It’s near a noisy road. If you are a light sleeper you need to take earplugs. Don’t let it put you off. The food in the hotel is very pricy, so often the case with top end hotels. But there are plenty of small restaurants in Brinchang which is a mile up the road, near enough to walk if you are energetic. (NB the road was not there when the built the hotel, it was built when they put the golf course in).

On the positive side – huge rooms in colonial style, good areas for sitting, bathrooms a bit small but I can see that to extend them would spoil the original rooms, they have all you need. Tea and coffee making facilities, good. Huge comfy bed and pillows, good seating area etc.

Breakfast was semi buffet style, plenty of cereal and fruit, continual flow of fresh juice and choice of 6-7 hot dishes, you would not get bored in a short stay. Service was a little lax considering how many staff were in the restaurant. We had to ask for more coffee several times.

The common areas have apparently been rebuilt in elegant plantation style since a fire in the 1970s and have clearly been recently extended to provide an Asian restaurant and shop, fronted by an attractive fish and water feature. There is a spacious and comfortable lounge area and a library with sofas, a real fire in the evenings and free wifi. The staff tried to make sure they knew our names and offer personal service; they offer a “range of board games” in the bar but when we asked for chess they did not have it. We were amazed when half an hour later a brand new set was delivered to our room! Someone had obviously been sent out to buy it.

We were there on a Friday and Saturday when it turned out half of KL was up for the weekend – cars and buses galore on the road – but it made the place really lively and fun. Don’t miss the night market in Brinchang for everything strawberry! We also went on the free Jin Thompson walking tour which was interesting.

Room Tip: Well - there may not be any that don't face that road - and that's where the view is too!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank helenakitt
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear helenakitt,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking your time and sharing your valuable feedback with us and I have noted lack of consistency in our breakfast service. We do manage to deliver consistent service but, in this case, we have clearly fallen short. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

On the other side, I am glad to read that there were some elements of your stay that you were satisfied with. In particular the hotel room, the surrounding public area and facilities, the pro-activeness of the staff and the delicious food.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cameron Highlands Resort on many more occasions in the near future.

Leonard J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Qatif
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed 2 nights in this hotel on the 16th of October till 18. i booked 2 rooms because we were big family and unfortinately i was was shocked when i saw the rooms view, they put us in rooms with no view, we had a balcony but i couldn't see anything out because the ceiling of the entrance was higher than our balcony and when i told the reception about that he treated me like a small child by smiling and telling me we are full now and why don't you come back tomorrow and we will check if we can change it for you. I don't know what kind of service is that they gave me bad room and they want me to come next day to c if there is a chnce for me to get another room.
There is no simming pool in the hotel, there breakfast is not a buffet it's a menue you choose from which is redeculas. over all i would say that their service is bad.
The rooms were not that much good but it wasn't bad.

At checkout we didn't go for breakfast so i told the person in reception give me some pies for the babies and my family was waiting outside in the car, the surprise that they made me wait for long time and then they brought in a plate that belongs for the restaurant what kind of thinking was that? i told her no please i need it in a box and again i had to wait for longer time to have 2 peaices of croissant.

Room Tip: Do not take the rooms in the middle of the hotel they have no view.
3 Thank Alsinan
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Alsinan

Greetings from Cameron Highlands Resort!

Thank you very much for your feedback, which we value very much. I am certain that we will improve on the points that you have highlighted.

Leonard J.
Ely
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This Hotel has the WOW factor as you enter the Hotel. The staff so welcoming as though you are old friends.
Our room were more like a suite with 4 poster bed, settee, chairs and coffee table.
Tea and coffee making facility and a fridge.
Afternoon tea was a must and we enjoyed it tremendously especially the huge strawberries.
Obviously we wanted to see a tea plantation and staff arranged a tour for us.
Mary was delightful and took us to Boh plantation, strawberry farm, honey farm and a temple on an excellent 4 hour trip.
Although on previous reviews several said noisy road, we did hear some traffic early eve but nothing to keep us awake.
We only stayed here for just 2 days and wished it was for longer..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Whissey
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Whissey,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us!

I am very proud to hear that your experience with us was an exceptional one. Rest assured that I will share your positive feedback with the team.

It is great to know that the both of you enjoyed the English hi-tea at our Jim Thomson Lounge as well as the tours arranged by the reception. I will definitely share your comments with our Executive Chef and Mary respectively.

We work very hard on keeping consistent service standards and your review will inspire us to maintain yet keep innovating from a product point of view.

California
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Enjoyed our visit to this resort and found the staff to be really wonderful! The menu is mostly continental style food, but we asked for vegetarian meals for lunch and dinner and Chef D and his team prepared the best food we had in Malaysia! Great job and thank you! At the end of the stay we were refreshed and rejuvenated. Can't wait to try the YTL resort in Sabah!

1 Thank CaliforniaSunDreamer
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear CaliforniaSunDreamer,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us, we are glad that you enjoyed your vacation in Cameron Highlands!

Wonderful, best food and great job are very thoughtful words to praise our associates and their efforts. I will be sure to share them with the team as nothing motivates us more than such kind words of appreciation.

It is great to know that you enjoyed a vegetarian dinner at our Dining Room. I will definitely share your comments with our Executive Chef - Chef "D".

Riyadh Province, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Worst hotel inhabited it in my whole life, bad hosts reception and room service breakfast bad choices very little room cleanliness and smell bad, unfortunately I Hdzth, based on an assessment of the site, but it seems that there has been a change in the management of the hotel, and never advise the housing

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank ambnnorah
Dear ambnnorah,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at our resort. We regret the issues you experienced in your first room and I am glad that the front desk team was able to solve this problem to your satisfaction by moving you to another room.

In the resort we have a strict maintenance program which is specifically designed to fully recondition rooms. Each room is closed for a few days specifically for this purpose, and in addition we also have both ordinary and special maintenance programs which are on-going throughout the year and undertaken as the needs dictate.

Following your comments, the initial room you stayed in was on our schedule for such maintenance and it has now been prioritized, to be looked into by our Engineer team.

Once again dear ambnnorah, kindly accept my apologies for the shortfall you experienced during your tour. We would be absolutely delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you and your partner back to CHR in the future so we may have the opportunity to re-establish ourselves in your good faith

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Undeniable very good hospitality and most of the staffs (not all) are well trained and very friendly. The resort is located in between Brinchang and Tanah Rata, very convenient. Booked the resort with Citibank Premiermiles promotion. Good value.

Breakfast menu very limited, spent two days to try everything on the menu. However the food served in The Dining Room was pretty good. We celebrated my wife's birthday there, the restaurant manager, Mr Ong was very helpful and helped us on the arrangement.

The SPA village experience was excellent, it was relaxing and the masseuses were very professional and making us comfortable. They were very thoughtful and gave us some small gifts and a card for our honeymoon. Reasonable price for the couple package.

Unfortunately, I requested a quiet room during my reservation but I was given a room which is right opposite a Karaoke and beside a family with children. People walk/drive pass by our room during day time and make us feeling uncomfortable. The corner of balcony was filled with algae and looked dirty to step out. I made a complain about kids next room were making too much noise at the front desk but she just smiled at me and did not response to my complain. I think the rooms on second floor would be better.

Besides, I requested corkscrew in my room but they were not able to leave one in my room due to very limited corkscrew they have. Hence, the waiter from restaurant would come and help me with the wine. First time, the guy was not know how to use a corkscrew and I had to did it myself. Second time, my wine was taken away and then returned to me open. Third time, I was glad that a well experienced staff, Gerald opened the wine for me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rencheok
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear rencheok,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at our resort. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the genuine hospitality provided by our staff. Rest assured that I will share your positive feedback with the team especially Ong, Gerard and the team at the SPA.

However, I am disappointed to learn of your displeasure in certain areas, and would like to take this opportunity and liberty to address them individually.

You were booked in our Jr Suite. I do apologize there we unable to upgrade you as per the terms of your credit card promotion as the resort was full. After further investigation, we have identified that the karaoke music peering into your room was from the golf club from across the street. I have highlighted this to the golf club manager. We shall constantly monitor this to avoid further reoccurrence.

With regards to the quality of the room cleaning, the constant humid weather an rain would quicken the stains / alga. The housekeeper and engineering team has been made aware of this as to share it with the team and action has been taken to make good this area.

With regards to your comment to our trainee associates at the reception, rest assured that I have shared your views with the Front Office Manager. We fervently believe that well trained associates are absolutely important to constantly craft a positive experience for all our valued guest.

Pertaining to your the initial opening of the wine bottle, yes the housekeeping public area staff was not able to complete this professionally. I was pleased to hear that Gerard was able to assist you professionally during the rest of your stay.

It is a shame that certain issues marred your otherwise good stay. I am sure you recognize that your most recent experience is not typical of our usual levels of good service.

Dear rencheok, I apologize for the service shortfalls be it from within the resort or externally. I sincerely hope that my response shows that we have made it a priority to address and resolve all the issues that you mentioned.

If your plans bring you back to Cameron Highlands in the future, I hope you will allow us an opportunity to show you the improvements we have made. I would be more than happy to personally assist you with your reservation to ensure you a true and memorable Cameron Highlands Resort experience.

Kindly regards,

Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We just returned from Cameron Highlands Resort. We were there to celebrate hubby's birthday. Upon checking into our room, our bed was decorated with rose petals and there's a mini birthday cake waiting for us. Lovely!
Everybody is so friendly, from the front desk staffs to the maintenance staffs, they are always smiling and they greet us every time they see us.
Breakfast in the dining room is amazing. The moment we walked in, they know our room number and our name without us telling. Thumbs up! We also tried the beef wellington and hubby loves it! We were served personally by the chef and the restaurant manager, everything is flawless! The staff at the restaurant were also very attentive to our 3 and 5 yrs old.
An amazing place to stay. Simply love this resort. We will be back for sure.

Dear MummyTan,

Lovely, friendly, amazing and flawless are very thoughtful words to praise our associates, I will be sure to share them with the team as nothing motivates us more than such kind words of appreciation.

It is great to know that you enjoyed a luscious dinner at our Dining Room. I will definitely share your comments with our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanah Rata
#1 of 9 in Brinchang
Casa dela Rosa Hotel
Casa dela Rosa Hotel
#5 of 12 in Tanah Rata

Been to Cameron Highlands Resort? Share your experiences!