“Cosy Rooms Excellent Spa”

Cameron Highlands Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Tanah Rata
Singapore, Singapore
“Cosy Rooms Excellent Spa”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have been to Cameron Highlands a couple of times and this hotel is exactly what we like about Cameron Highlands.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the concierge which is a good thing because the steps up may be difficult if you are carrying heavy luggage. There is also no lifts to the upper floors so you may want to consider a ground floor room if you have special needs.

We went there with our parents from Europe and we were given a room next to each other. As the room was not sound proof you may wanna have a room a little further away if you want to have some couple time.

The service is wonderful and the staff are always friendly and helpful.

The morning breakfast was just the right amount for us and the service is excellent at breakfast.

We also walked to the gold course in front of the resort to have other meals and even tried the Smoke House Grill located about 5 minutes walk from the hotel. For sightseeing we chartered a taxi who took us around the area Rose Garden Tea Plantation, Factory, Butterfly park vegetable market and etc. They charge about RM100 a day. Our guide was very knowledgeable and we enjoyed our time exploring

The rooms were very comfortable and fortunately the noise from traffic does not bother me or my family.

Will surely come back again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BunnyDahl
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear BunnyDahl,

Greetings from Cameron Highlands Resort - Trails, Tales & Traditions!

Allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for selecting CHR as you preferred choice of accommodation during your visit to Cameron Highlands.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cameron Highlands Resort on many more occasions in the near future

Leonard J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We spent two nights at the resort after a hot and steamy trip to The Taman Negara (National Forest). We enjoyed our stay very much, the Spa was fantastic, one of the best I have been to in Asia. The main restaurant was very good with impeccable service as were the cocktails in the lounge bar. The only down side was that our guys were looking forward to a game of snooker on their full size table but it was uneven.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Mary C,

Greetings from Cameron Highlands Resort - Trails, Tales & Traditions!

Do allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for selecting CHR as you preferred choice of accommodation during your visit to Cameron Highlands.

We note your comment about the snooker table and rest assured that it shall be address soonest. We work very hard on keeping consistent service standards and your review will inspire us to maintain yet keep innovating from a product point of view.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed at the Cameron Highlands Resort this last Sept. for 3 motercycle whining , race course driving, car horns blaring nights! Our friends were insistent that we go to the Highlands on our recent trip of Malaysia, and by all reviews, the Cameron Highlands Resort was the most luxurious hotel in the area, which it is. But, you have to endure the noise of the road below and it goes on all night! When we asked the hotel staff about putting in duel pane windows to cancel the noise, which would make this hotel a truly memorable experience, we were told that the hotel runs at near occupancy, and therefore there is no encentive to do so. In other words, take it or leave it!
Beacause the hotel is located on a fairly straight piece of road, we were told that the locals use this portion to drag race through town. it is such a problem with accidents we were told by hotel staff, that when the emergency vehicles take you to hospital and the ER staff finds you have been drag racing, they they just say " that's what you get for racing" and we'll get to you later!
I was walking by reception one afternoon and there was a guest on the phone with his travel agent screaming at him to get him "out of this racetrack"! This takes what would be an otherwise beautiful property and makes it an intolerable nights sleep.
On the bright side, the staff is very pleasent, the public rooms very pretty, and the food is quite good. We were given a tip by one of the staff to visit Balla's Chalet one night for dinner and it wasn't an entirley unpleasent, if not a bit strange experience. Balla's was the British School during colonial days, so we were told this was going to to be a grand evening. We were picked up by a man who took us up to the Chalet, it's off the road and I was thinking we should have stayed there for a more tranquil setting, then after dropping us off he went into the kitchen cooked the food and served us in this english country inn ........an Indian meal! Quite a suprise, and it was pretty good. Balla's would be a great place to take a Christmas photo, as it seems to always be ready for the winter holiday in it's decor.
I would say stay away from Cameron Highlands Resort until they address the noise problem, but whats the point. My suggestion, bypass Cameron Highlands altogether and save your Tea Country experience for George Cooper's "Khanda Kanda" in the Tea Country of Sri Lanka. It is nestled in the jungle with views of waterfalls and terraced hillsides. Because Cameron Highlands is now being used to grow other crops, iIt's not even that beautiful anymore as the hills are covered in plastic hillsides of strawberry fields, and the runoff of the fertlizer they use for these crops are polluting the waterfalls in the area. I did have a nice cup of cardamon tea at Cameron Vally Tea on the way up, but really!

Room Tip: There is no good choice of room, they all front the highway with views of not Tea Country, but a gol...
2 Thank WorldTicos
Dear WorldTicos,

Greetings from Cameron Highlands Resort - Trails, Tales & Traditions!

I am very proud to hear that your experience with us was a positive one. Rest assured that I will share your positive feedback with the team.

It is a shame that certain external issues marred your otherwise good stay.

We would be absolutely delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future so we may have the opportunity to re-establish ourselves in your good faith

Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at the Cameron Highlands Resort in Tanah Rata for 3 night in the month of September 2013. The hotel is part of the “Small and Luxury Hotels of the World” association. It’s located at around 2 km from Tanah Rata. If you wish you can walk from the hotel to Tanah Rata. In that case count on a 20 to 30 minute leisurely walk. The walk does take you along the side of a busy road so don’t expect quiet and tranquility but it is a walk everyone in a reasonable state of health can undertake. The Cameron Highlands Resort takes guest focus seriously. Upon arrival we were greeted immediately by the concierge and his staff at the foot of the steps leading up to the entrance of the hotel. The building is a beautiful colonial style structure sitting by the side of the road slightly elevated, overlooking the golf course on the other side of the road. Once you enter, you encounter a tastefully decorated interior with lots of ample public space and pleasant rooms. While the reception desk checks you in you can wait in the lounge area of the hotel. A cup of tea is served as a welcome. The room we got was very spacious and faced the golf course/road. The rooms have ample balconies with chairs and a table to allow you to sit outside and enjoy the cool, fresh mountain air. The rooms are decorated in a harmonious hill-station style. The rooms do not have air conditioning. When we were in Tanah Rata (September 2013) air conditioning was absolutely obsolete as the temperatures during both day and night were utmost pleasant and agreeable. We slept with the windows open. It may however be a good idea to come prepared with a mosquito repellent type Baygon so that you enjoy sleeping with open windows. The beds were four-poster style and the bedding and mattresses were extremely comfortable. The rooms were generally in good condition although here and there in the rooms (but also in the public spaces) wear and tear started to show through scratched parquet, smudges on the throw pillows in the sofas etcetera. The bathroom had all amenities that one can expect in 5-star hotels. One minus was the absence of wifi in the rooms. Wifi is available at no extra cost but only in the public spaces (library, lounge area,…). The hotel has two restaurants: one where European (read: British) style food is served. We tried it and found it sufficient but rather unremarkable. The price is high: count on between 400 and 600 MYR for two persons (one or two glasses of wine and two courses). The other alternative is a more informal Japanese Shabu-shabu restaurant (Chinese fondue) where you select items from the buffet and cook them yourself in a bowl with broth heated up on a little heating element on your table. This option is slightly cheaper (between 200 and 300 MYR). The breakfast in the morning is a set arrangement where you choose from a menu. Most options are English inspired. A limited buffet is available. Service in the hotel (house keeping, concierge, reception,…) is very courteous and guest-oriented. Staff try to pre-empt your needs.

All in all a very nice option for exploring the Cameron Highlands and if you want a good degree of comfort and luxury it’s probably the best (and only) option in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marc A
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear MarcLeuven_Belgium,

Greetings from Cameron Highlands Resort - Trails, Tales & Traditions!

I am very proud to hear that your experience with us was an exceptional one. Rest assured that I will share your positive feedback with the team. At this juncture, speedy wifi within the resort is current available at the Library. You will be pleased to know that in the coming months, it will also be available through out the resort.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I planned a 3d/n trip here from Singapore after having heard good things about Cameron Highlands.

After arriving in Ipoh and traveling about 2 hours we arrived at the hotel. Immediately we realized this was going to be a nightmare as they sat us down in the lobby for 20 minutes while they argued with each other about the room we had booked. Never the less eventually we checked in.

The rooms are average, we had some sort of deluxe room that had 2 large bedrooms and a single bathroom over looking the golf course. It was fine however it's right next to the road and can be loud.

Unexplainably there's no wifi in the room which is ridiculous considering the price we paid (sgd$400/night!!).

We decided to do an afternoon treck and had planned 2 more the following day with the option of a 3rd in the evening. These are heavily recommended by the hotel as attractions, complete with a booklet describing the treck, what you'll see, how long it is and what the difficulty is. We found out that the trecks involve almost no walking, although we were on a difficult rated treck, and consisted mainly of being moved around in a car between strawberry farms, cactus shops and other assorted meaningless rubbish. Clearly the objective here is to get you to buy trinkets etc. unimpressed.

We decided on the second day to forgo the sales pitch in town (trek) and relax in the hotel. We discovered that the hotel offers no room service and the kitchen is closed from the hours of 3-6pm. Unexplainable. We tried to book a massage at the spa however they couldn't accommodate us. So we just sat around the only place in the hotel with wifi and worked as there was nothing else to do.

Checking out the final day I discovered by chance that my wallet had been found by the house keeping staff on a dresser in the room and they decided to lock it in the safety box in the room. Without telling me they had done so or providing me with the code to unlock it. More so before they did this they rummaged through my entire wallet noting the amount of cash I had and the cards I had. Everything in my wallet had been removed and replaced in incorrect places. This was described to me as a security measure however I can't understand why it wasn't just left where it was locked in my room.

In summary, this trip cost for the two of us from Singapore over $2000 for a long weekend in which we experienced nothing, paid for activities that werent worth it and generally felt ripped off.

Cameron Highlands is really not worth the effort - if youre thinking peaceful plantations, british ambiance and good service then this isnt it. Think a typical rural Malaysian town packed full of regional tourists.

This hotel should be avoided at all costs. You've been warned.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank samdgnz
Dear samdgnz,

Thank you for your review after your recent visit to Cameron Highlands Resort - Trails, Tales & Traditions!

Do allow me to address each of your concerns for our better understanding:-

Your arrival to the resort was approximately at1.30pm, upon registering you and your partner, you requested for a room on the ground floor with a nice view. Tho the hotel was high in occupancy which I believe was conveyed to you, we managed to allocate a room as per requested. the guest. Guest requested for a good room ( nice view and ground floor ). A brief resort was done and you were escorted to you room there after.

At this juncture, speedy wifi within the resort is current available at the Library. You will be pleased to know that in the coming months, it will also be available through out the resort as we keep innovating from a product point of view.

On the day of your arrival, you and your partner did go for the Jim Thompson Trail that is provided complimentary by the resort. I trust that you enjoyed the educational experience. As for the remaining trails that were booked thru the resort, I will most certainly share your concerns with the guides concern ensuring that a similar situation is avoided.

The kitchen operates till 10.30pm on a daily basis. Lunch is served from 12 noon till 3pm and English Hi Tea from 3pm till 6pm. Tho the resort may not have a dedicated in-room dining menu, we would certainly abide by a request should it be made by a guest where possible. I would also like to apologize that we were not able to serve you dessert at 1am during your time at the lounge however I believe that the cookies provided was able to cater to your sweet tooth.

The associates at the spa endeavour to allocate guest their required time slots. There are times when we are not able to accommodate all request as certain time slots may be filled by other guest who have booked in advance.

Upon cleaning your room, the housekeeping team noticed that valuable times such as your wallet, ipad, iphone and watch we located in different parts of your room. As a practiced security measure, the mentioned items were catalogued / counted and placed in the in room safe. We do this as a security measure to avoid any unforeseen incidents during your stay.

Once again dear samdgnz, kindly accept my apologies for the shortfall you experienced during your tour. We would be absolutely delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you and your partner back to CHR in the future so we may have the opportunity to re-establish ourselves in your good faith

Kindly regards,

Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed at this resort for two nights from 21 September. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted by friendly and attentive staffs. Upon checking in to our room, we found it comfortable except for the bathroom which was really small and crampy, considering we only have a shower room with no bathtub. We had high tea at the Jim Thompson tea-room and the ambience was good. We enjoyed it. It was our anniversary and the resort manager, Leonard surprised us with a lovely tiramisu cake served in a champagne glass with the words “Happy Anniversary” when we came back from dinner. All the staff made us feel welcomed and especially MC who serves in the tea-room was very courteous and efficient. Breakfast served at the hotel was good but on the second day the choices were almost the same which was a slight disappointment. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the resort except for the noisy vehicles coming from the main road and no wifi in the room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear P H L,

Greetings from Cameron Highlands Resort - Trails, Tales & Traditions!

Thank you very much for your feedback, I am delighted that the both of you enjoyed a relaxing vacation at the resort. I am very proud to hear that your experience with us was an exceptional one. Rest assured that I will share your positive feedback with the team and with MC in particular.

We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to Cameron Highlands Resort on many more occasions in the near future

Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 21, 2013

If sleep is a premium then avoid. 9pm and continuous traffic noise, worse than manhattan, admittedly minus honking horns. The website represents a resort but the location is more like a Motel 6, directly on the main drag. The room looks similar to online but is badly kept up with corners of dirt, unupdated bathrooms and a general sense of lack of upkeep. Bring earplugs and Clorox to ensure a pleasant stay. Also, there is no in room wifi. A hotspot is provided when asked, literally a plug in cellular device, no high speed connection and struggles with more than one device. I am checking out early and suspect there will be an issue given I prepaid two nights. The only highlight was the Japanese restaurant with great servers. Cameron highlands is an amazing location, just a shame that sup-par accommodation can get away with such bad marketing.

Room Tip: There are no good ones, all overlook the main road.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Jane T,

I am delighted that you and your husband enjoyed the great service at the Dining Room during breakfast and at Gonbei, our steamboat restaurant during dinner. Rest assured that I will certainly share your positive feedback with the team.

With regards to the quality of the room cleaning, the Executive Housekeeper has been made aware of this as to share it with the team. To counter the decimal levels of traffics during the late evenings, we fervently work with the local law enforcement officers to ensure their presence during these times.

I am pleased that we were able to assist you professionally, during the settlement of your room invoice and your departure.

It is a shame that certain issues marred your otherwise good stay. I am sure you recognize that your most recent experience is not typical of our usual levels of good service.

Once again dear Jane T, kindly accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall you have experienced. We would be absolutely delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you and your husband again in the future so we may have the opportunity to re-establish ourselves in your good faith

Kindly regards,

#1 of 9 in Brinchang
Hillview Inn
Hillview Inn
#7 of 12 in Tanah Rata

Been to Cameron Highlands Resort? Share your experiences!