“Only Average. Nothing impressive”

Cameron Highlands Resort
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Tanah Rata
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was travelling with my hubby and Mom in Law to CH last weekend from KL. We took the Tapah route up and Simpang Pulai route back. Both are approximately 3-3.5hour drive. It was a total different experience driving from Tapah Route where you see many aboriginal huts selling petai, honey and passing through a beautiful Lata Iskandar Fall whereby it is more whiny and narrow road. Whereas stunning view from the Tapah Route, wider roads and better conditions and a more relaxing drive.

CHR is located between Brinchang and Tanah Rata town and it is by the main road and right across the golf course. Hotel is very beautiful, nice ambience however we were extremely unhappy about the breakfast and lunch. I have stayed in TJR, PLR, Gaya Island and CHR seems to have the worse breakfast offering among the YTL brands. The breakfast is so called made to order but we highly doubt that they do so as the Mee Goreng is not piping hot and the portion is pathetic, the sausage for big breakfast seems have been siting there for ages before serving and the only thing hey do it fresh is probably the eggs. We are expecting Hotel charge at this rate should do better than this.

We decided to cancel the breakfast our second day and got a refund of RM 100 from Jim which is really appreciated.

Room was just Okay as I think it needs a better maintenance eg: the toilet flush was not working in our big bathroom. Our room 20 is located next to the kitchen and whenever we passed by the kitchen we smelled gas leak. It seems dangerous to us. Since the hotel is located right next to the main road, please bring ear plug if you are sensitive to noise as the golf course seems to have party all night till 1-2am.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Cheery66
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Cheery66,

Greetings from Cameron Highlands Resort!

Thank you for taking the time to 'pen' down your experience. We value the positives as well as appreciate the improvement opportunities.

Our breakfast menu has been designed thoughtfully taking guest needs in consideration. All resorts within YTL Hotels have individual concepts and identities. This is evident from the arrival, to the food served, trails offered and spa experience. As for the quality of the sausages, the culinary and service teams have been made aware of this as to share with the team for an improved breakfast experience.

The hotel requires the assistance of gas boilers to provide hot water to all rooms. Similar to an automotive engine, it does discharge a limited quantity of smoke. The smoke is discharged thru a ventilation duct. Despite our best efforts to direct it away from guest rooms, the occasional wind blows it back to the resort.

Once again Cherry66, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused you and your family. I am sure you recognize that your most recent experience is not typical of our usual levels of good service.

We all look forward to having you with us again to experience the improvement and highest service standards that you rightfully expect from Cameron Highlands Resort.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I'd chosen this hotel based on the good reviews on Tripadvisor to pamper my family for a 3 days 2 nights trip to Cameron Highlands.

It has been a long while since I last did a local trip and my last visit to Cameron Highlands was nearly 2 decades ago. It was school holiday and it took me around 3 hours from Tapah to reach the hotel at around 2pm. The whole family were very tired indeed upon arrival.

I was not very happy when I was asked to wait at the lounge first as the room is not yet ready. However the manager soon made it up by offering us complimentary high tea which indeed delighted us.

I was given 2 deluxe rooms with link door on the ground floor. The are only 2 levels, I will definitely request for upper floor if travel as couple, but with old folks and kids, the ground floor units are more convenient and not bad either.

The room itself is very nice in colonial style with high ceiling, the best part is outside the window and balcony it's viewing the 9-holes golf courses. I couldn't resist and went for a quick round right away. Bed is comfy and I had 2 nights of good sleep. My only complaint is there was no bath tub, anyway I didn't requested for it specifically so can't really blame them.

The ambiance at the lounge and reading area is very good and there's a pianist playing there at night. There are some koi ponds at surrounding. The children play area is very basic and I did not try out any other facilities.

The complimentary hi-tea and breakfast that we tried at the resort are decent. Breakfast is not buffet style but there are a few decent choices mainly westerns but oriental style fried bihun or noodles are also available upon request. The captain is very friendly and introduced us the strawberry farm which supply to the hotel, which my wife had bought dozens of boxes that delivered freshly at our doorstep on the departure day.

Overall, I'd rate it as a good hotel. Sadly I do not think I will revisit Cameron Highlands again as the weather is no longer as cool as when I visited the place 2 decades ago. Blame it to the development and also global climate change.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Eugene_Goh
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear Eugene_Goh,

Greetings from Cameron Highlands Resort!

Thank you for taking the time to 'pen' down your experience. We are extremely pleased that you chose to stay with us and our best reward was that you had a wonderful time!

With regards to your check in, our check in time is at 3pm. However should the rooms be available earlier, the team at reception will most certainly escort you to your room once the check in process is completed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cameron Highlands Resort on many more occasions in the near future; delivering the precise and attentive service that remains the hallmark of
YTL Hotels.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

In the last week of May my wife and me stayed for three days in CHR. For us this was a repeat of our stay in August 2012 of which we had excellent remembrances. This is certainly the most favorite hotel in Malaysia for us and we intentionally have arranged a stop-over in Malaysia on our travel from Korea to The Netherlands to experience Malaysia again and in particular to have some relaxing days at the CHR. Most attractive for us are the relaxing atmosphere in this old-English colonial style hotel with its extremely helpful staff. Different from the large 5 star hotels in Kuala Lumpur where you are Mr. and Mrs. Anonymous in the crowd, this hotel gives you personalized attention, which is possible by the relatively small scale of the hotel (56 rooms). The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated which make you feel home immediately. A drawback for internet addicts may be that there is no wifi in the rooms at the ground floor, but free wifi is available in the library, which was sufficient for us to check the mail and send an occasional message in a comfortable chair. The breakfast is excellent and is served at the table in a very elegant dining room. This visit we also had a spa arrangement. Although somewhat pricy, it has been a very relaxing experience and can be highly recommended for those who like to be pampered for two or more hours. In the environment there are several hiking trails, but also a walk (ca 45 min) around the golf course located opposite the hotel is already very nice. Also a 30 min walk up the hill to the strawberry farm is worthwhile, not only for the tasty coupe of strawberry ice cream. Certainly recommendable is also a visit (by car) to the BOH tea plantation south of Tanah Rata.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Dutchtraveler2,

Greetings from CHR!

Thank you for the gracious comments on your recent stay. We truly appreciate your review.

Thank you so much.

With best regards,

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights on our honeymoon in April 2013. After reading a lot of the reviews for this hotel I had decided that it was the best of a bad bunch of hotels in the highlands. I was pleasantly surprised though.... This hotel is just beautiful. The layout and design is very relaxing incorporating water features and outdoor pathways. The rooms felt very homely as soon as we walked in with a verandah and views over the Golf Course. Everything was spotlessly clean and I saw no signs of mould or mildew as in some reviews. The hotel is on the main road so yes the road noise at night can be a little noisy but all of the hotels are on the same road so I don't think it matters which one you choose to stay in.
Breakfast was excellent. We had high tea one afternoon which was ridiculously cheap by western standards. Perhaps $20 for 2 people from memory - delicious.
The restaurant across the road at the Gold Course is very good if you don't want to dine in the hotel. Taxi's are cheap and no more than 10 ringgit anywhere. Due to the comfortable temperature though we often walked. It was about. 45 minute walk to Tanah Rata or 20 minutes to Brinchang. The tours in town were cheap and very good to see the surrounding areas. Nice relaxing holiday destination for a few days.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Train000

Dear Train000,

Thank you for this great review of your stay.

It is a pleasure to hear that you had a memorable experience and enjoyed our rooms, restaurants and facilities within the resort.

We strive to provide a high level of personalised service to guests and to receive feedback such as yours is very reassuring and motivating. Thank you.

Once again, thank you and the team and I look forward to welcoming you when you are back in Cameron Highlands.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have written in 3 times to enquire about the resort since 3 days ago and yet to get any reply from the hotel staff. As this is one of the top resort in cameron highlands, I am doubting the hotel integrity and customer service.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mickey3381
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Mickey3381,

Greetings from Cameron Highlands Resort!

Thank you for taking the time to 'pen' down your concern. Please note that our general email contact for any reservations is - travelcentre@ytlhotels.com.my.

Should you need to contact the resort directly, please send your email to - chr_frontoffice@ytlhotels.com.my. You may also send your email directly to me - leonard_francis@ytlhotels.com.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hotel was perhaps my firm favourite previously, due to its impressive long lounge (and live pianist at nights!). I've stayed here 3 times in the past 4 years, and unfortunately I've felt the hotel hasn't been maintaining their standards. We were there most recently as a family in June 2013. There were pros and cons. Staff were in my opinion, doing their level best to be helpful and friendly. As soon as we arrived at the outdoor parking lot a porter rushed out to meet us and take our luggage. Over the next 4 days the front desk staff were generally very obliging and kind, so no worries there. One of our favourite areas has always been the huge fish pond, where the hotel keeps some well-fed koi. The staff are always nice enough to allow our children to feed them, and this became the highlight of the day for the kids.

However, a 5-star hotel running out of bath towels is unacceptable. True, they were running at full capacity and the explanation given was the towels didn't come back from the local laundromat, but still..... Also, I was taken aback by the condition of the lobby's wooden floor, which should have been replaced/repaired. Some of the lobby's carpets too, were well-worn. Wifi that doesn't work in the rooms (only in the library downstairs) was frustrating for my husband, who kept having to run downstairs to send off an email. We had a room on the first floor (not ground), and puzzlingly right outside our room a strong smell of garbage would sometimes drift past. So we started coming and leaving the room very quickly, and trying never to leave the room door open. And finally, they might have to replace their coffee machine in their lobby. A cappuccino was sent back by my husband, for the reason that it just didn't taste like cappuccino. He asked for a black coffee replacement. It was even worse.

All said, it's still a relatively good hotel (and there aren't too many of this standard to choose from in Cameron Highlands). I was just disappointed that the management hasn't seemed to maintain their former standards.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DoreenTMA
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear DoreenTMA,

Greetings from Cameron Highlands Resort!

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. With such a 360 degree feedback, we value the positives as well as appreciate the improvement opportunities. I am thrilled to read that we were able to deliver a relaxing and rejuvenating stay and that you were impressed with all facets of the resort especially by the team at Front Office.

With regards to the quality of the beverages that you received, the Food & Beverage Manager has been made aware of this as to share with the team. As for the wooden flooring, the process of replacing them is an ongoing one and I am certain that will be completed soon.

As for the request of additional towels, all rooms have been set up with the adequate number of towels and amenities. Should the number of people in a room be more than 2 adults, this could explain the delivery lapse to any of the rooms within the resort.

Despite the minor shortfalls, I trust you and your family had an overall good stay and took home fond memories of Cameron Highlands and Cameron Highlands Resort.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We enjoyed a short stay here in February during Chinese New Year. We hadn't expected the Highlands to be so popular at the time and the roads were really busy with traffic jams everywhere. The resort was nice and tranquil despite being on the main road. Our room had everything we needed and we enjoyed a nice touch for Valentine's Day from the housekeeping team. The restaurant was over-rated in our view with what seemed like a relatively inexperienced dining room staff who struggled with basic serving techniques and understanding the peculiarities of traditional English breakfast. That said, the staff were friendly and keen to help advise us what to do in the rainy weather. Enjoyed the trip to the Boh tea plantation -- definitely worth it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Blueveglady,

Greetings from Cameron Highlands Resort!

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. With such a 360 degree feedback, we value the positives as well as appreciate the improvement opportunities. I am thrilled to read that we were able to deliver a relaxing and rejuvenating stay, and that you were impressed with all facets of the resort and the touches by the team from the Housekeeping Department.

With regards to the service that you received during breakfast, the Food & Beverage Manager has been made aware of this as to share with the team. Despite the minor shortfalls, I trust you had an overall good stay and took home fond memories of Cameron Highlands and Cameron Highlands Resort.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanah Rata
#4 of 13 in Tanah Rata
Hillview Inn
Hillview Inn
#8 of 13 in Tanah Rata

Been to Cameron Highlands Resort? Share your experiences!