“Vegetarian or food allergy, BEWARE”

Cameron Highlands Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Tanah Rata
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Vegetarian or food allergy, BEWARE”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

After stressing I do not eat meat, I was given a tomato soup. I began to wonder what the bits were in it, and I found it was bacon. When I complained, the general attitude seemed to be - well it shouldn't have happened, so sorry, but what do you expect us to do about it?
The duty manager said he would buy our round of drinks to compensate, but they still appeared on our bill.
I agree with a previous reviewer that there is a mosquito problem. With lots of ponds and water features and rooms open to the gardens, one would expect there to be some fly zapping system and fly killers. There seems to be nothing.
Also, when there is a leaflet in the room offering a spa treatment at a special price, this should be honoured. After we booked, we were told that the offer no longer applied and we needed to pay more.

Room Tip: At back away from road is best
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Mary B,

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel as a place to spend your holiday. I sincerely regret that we were not able to meet up your expectation. On behalf of the team, please accept our sincere apologies for those shortfalls and inconveniences you have experienced

It has been highlighted to the Food & Beverage Manager and the Executive Chefs' attention respectively for implementation of necessary action to avoid future occurrences.

Your comment on the mosquito's has been taken note by the Executive Housekeeper. An initial fogging was completed on May 16th, 2013 and increased treatment have been scheduled. The team at the spa has also been briefed accordingly on the mentioned promotion.

We sincerely hope this unpleasant experience will not deter your confidence in our hotel and we do hope to have the opportunity welcome you back.

Leonard J.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I frequent Cameron Highlands quite regularly, but somehow I always end up in dilapidated hotels or apartments. This time, I did my research and with friend's recommendation I decided to head to Cameron Highlands Resort. Like all of their other resorts in Peninsular Malaysia, YTL has bought over an old well located hotel and turned it into a real gem whilst maintaining the charm of the building.

It was our first trip with our 4-month old baby. And the staff at the resort really made us feel at home, from offering to carry our baby while my wife and I were enjoying our Japanese dinner or even the manager offering his own supply of hot water bottles for us to heat up the baby cot before we tuck our baby in to sleep.

All in all, I would still highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is willing to splurge a little and I assure you, this is one of the better if not the best hotels in Cameron Highlands. If you don't have time to research and find a better value hotel, just go for Cameron Highlands Resort.

Just a few hiccups as feedback to the resort.
1. We were brought to our room by a front desk staff, upon entering our room, she realised a strong "newly painted room" smell. We did not want to be difficult coz we heard the resort was quite full, but I felt she should at least check if there were any other rooms were available. Anyway, I got used to the smell of new paint, I just hope they used non-toxic paint :)
2. Stroller access in and out of the building can and must be greatly improved. It's very difficult carrying a baby up and down those steps all the way to the room. A ramp of some sort should be constructed.
3. Breakfast spread - In my opinion this was the worst part of our trip. Malaysians are very particular when it comes to food, and breakfast at the resort was way below par. And probably the worst breakfast spread amongst all the YTL resorts we have been to. The one thing you expect them to get right (Asian Dish) was also badly prepared. Toast was deep fried in oil instead of toasted. Orange juice ran out towards the end of service on both days. I find this shocking, how can orange juice run out in a resort of this stature.
4. Noise - I am not that particular when it comes to noise during my sleep, but the main road right in front of the hotel and add in badly modified Malaysian cars & f1-wannabe drivers. The combination of that two can be quite irritating at night. I am not sure if there are rooms facing away from the front of the hotel (main road) do check with resort when making your reservations.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the main road.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank SnappyFingers
Dear SnappyFingers,

Thank you for posting your comments of your recent stay at Cameron Highlands Resort on
Trip Advisor.

We highly value your feedback with regards to the room smell and the limited supply of our freshly squeezed juice. The fried toast is actually part of the all breakfast dishes served. We do also serve regular toast that can be requested from any of our staff. It is our objective to meet and actually exceed the expectations of our guest and I am sorry that in this particular case we have certainly fell short on certain counts.

Thank you very much for your appreciation towards the team. I was happy to read that you were satisfied with the service rendered by them.

Once again, thank you for providing us with your feedback as it is only through feedback such as these that we can properly evaluate and improve our performance.

We are all looking forward to welcome you back to our beautiful resort.

Chinese PinkAddict in Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Under the resident package, the hotel price is reasonable with all meals included. We have frequented Ytl's resorts for the past 6 years and this one was a letdown.

Went Friday-Sunday, discovered there was a large group checking in hence their deluxe rooms all out, so we got a free upgrade to a 2-bedroom. I thought it was perfect as we went with 3-year old daughter. Turned out to be a so-so stay.

Pro's:
- room was spacious. 2-bedroom is perfect for families, with two tv's
- cool weather was nice, made us forget we are in Malaysia
- resident package full board is considered affordable
- one of the more reputable hotels in Cameron
- very near the Healthy Strawberry Park, which was great for a short drive and strawberry picking for me and my daughter while daddy went on a Jim Thomson nature walk
- strawberries that were served throughout our stay were all huge and nice
- mineral water aplenty which was important for pregnant mommy like me
- nice view of the golf from our balcony
- some notable staff, not all of them were competent, in fact it was so-so (which is disappointing for such a hotel this standard)... The staff at the massage were considerate. Extra note on the waitress Pija or Piga who was very friendly, served with the heart during our meals. And kudos to the evening shift of the reception area last May 11 evening who went out of their way to resolve my mosquito issues
- resident package also had a special spa pricing which was rm200 max for 50-minutes massage with tea bath which was superb
- in-room fruits were nice, daughter loved it for snack time. Plus the green apples at the reception
- common areas were beautifully maintained
- super nice staff Pija (or Piga) gave some fish food pellets for my daughter to feed the koi fishes, very sweet of her

Con's

- despite the spacious room, we detest the place bec my poor little daughter had about 10 mosquito bites in the first night. We requested a mosquito plug but they said they were all out. Turned out they didn't have any in the hotel. Because of this my daughter suffered and cried so hard (which rarely happens) on the 2nd night bec of all the itchiness of the bite. She had 5 mosquito bites on the face alone!! So please beware if you go with a toddler. After raising this with the reception, they barely did anything except to give me mosquito coil and match, which is all that they had. This is so oppositely different from the service we had at Pangkor Laut. Despite Pangkor being amongst the forest in an island, they were able to set the turn down service superbly well with mosquito repellents, plug, etc -- and this was consistent with our 4 times stay there.
- some of the staff are noticeably so-so in terms of execution. They speak kind words but in terms of going the extra mile, only few staff were notable. The evening shift reception on Saturday night saw the ultra mosquito bites on my daughter's face and decided to finally go out and purchase some electric mosquito plugs. They came to our room at 930pm to install it, bless their souls for finally doing something. I complained about the mosquito thing on Saturday morning breakfast-- to the reception team and even to the manager -- but all that was given was the coil. We hated the smell but still lighted it that evening thinking that there was no other recourse.
- toilet in the room was small..especially for a 2-bedroom. We were quite cramped in the toilet, when u try to let my daughter pee no one else can fit into the bathroom! Maybe it was better if they made the toilets a bit bigger.

- you could see moulds and stains which I guess is normal ?!? In such high altitude places. Some stain on the white bed sheets. Black spots in toilet joints.

- chubby Chinese reception guy confused me with his explanation about the food rules of resident package. He was trying to be helpful but confused the hell out of me with his rm 300 per meal cap explanation which was not stated in our original t&c package.

- coffee was mediocre. Expected more from a place like this. Pangkor Laut gave options like latte or cappuccino as part of the resident package

Conclusion: for families (with kids) living in KL who want 3-days-2 nights vacation with YTL, Pangkor Laut is a better option. We also went to Tanjung Jara years ago. We still prefer Pangkor.

Will we go back to Cameron Highlands Resort? At this point, I'd say not in the next few years. Hard to forget that evening my daughter kept crying and scratching... While daddy had fever (coincidentally) and couldn't sleep well bec of all the road noise which can be loud when you are trying to sleep. But for sure it is one of the better places to stay in Cameron highlands if you really want to go there.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank PinkAddict
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear PinkAddict,

Thank you for taking time to sharing with us on Trip Advisor regarding your recent experience during your stay at our resort.

I read with dismay on your disappointment you had during your stay. There is simply no excuse on my part and I deeply apologize. Rest assured that I have shared your comments with my team and immediate steps have been taken to ensure of no further reoccurrence.

It is a shame that certain issues marred your otherwise good stay. I am sure you recognize that your most recent experience is not typical of our usual levels of good service.

Once again PinkAddict, please accept my unreserved apologies for the service lapses and the inconvenience it has caused you and your family.

We all look forward to having you with us again to experience the improvement and highest service standards that you rightfully expect from Cameron Highlands Resort.

Best Regards,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

After one of the most beautiful mountain drives, we were greeted at the Cameron Highlands resort with cold flannels and cups of tea whilst our car was parked and our cases were taken to our room. The hotel has the wow factor. We dined in the evening and though a little pricey compared to our previous restaurants it was well worth it, the food was delicious. The breakfast was a menu service rather than a buffet and that too was delicious.
The rooms were beautiful and the shower had unbelievable power. It was spotlessly clean and everything we needed was supplied in the room.
The staff couldn't do enough for us and were so friendly. I'd definitely recommend Cameron Highlands resort, I just wish we could have stayed a little bit longer!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 345melaniew345,

Greetings from Cameron Highlands Resort!

Thank you for taking the time to 'pen' down your experience. We are extremely pleased that you chose to stay with us and our best reward was that you had a wonderful time!

I am delighted to read that your overall experience was an exceptional one, exceeding your expectations. Your comments regarding the service and professionalism of our team is a testament to the hard work and dedication they demonstrate toward delivering the highest standards of service which is a trademark of our brand.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cameron Highlands Resort on many more occasions in the near future; delivering the precise and attentive service that remains the hallmark of
YTL Hotels.

Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

At first glance, the hotel seems nice and cosy. Good selection of breakfast with the usual pancakes, eggs any style, sausages, fresh fruits, fresh juice, choices of coffee, etc. WiFi is only available in the reception area. The room has a musty smell probably due to the wet and humid weather. The hotel staff wasn't very helpful when we tried to ask them to throw away a bag of leftover takeout. We managed to dispose of it in the garbage bin outside our room so the room will not smell of food. The pillow cases smell like it hasn't been washed. There are brown stains on the pillow. It was in the middle of the night and I was so tired that I couldn't be bother to call housekeeping. I wrapped the pillow with a bath towel. This is a big contrast to the Majestic Hotel in Malacca, also owned by the same hotel group. Majestic is clean and pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kotrav
Dear kotrav,

I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the resort. I was disappointed to hear about the problems associated with your stay. There is simply no excuse on our part and I deeply apologize.

Rest assured that I have shared your comments with the Department Head concerned and immediate steps have been taken to ensure of no further reoccurrence.

I am sure you recognize that your most recent experience is not typical of our usual levels of good service. It is a great disappointment to me whenever we fail, but it is of particular concern that we have let down a valued guest.

Once again dear kotrav, kindly accept my sincere and heartfelt apologies for the shortfalls you have experienced. We would be absolutely delighted to have the opportunity to welcoming you again in the future so we may have the opportunity to re-establish ourselves in your good faith.

Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We travelled to the Cameron Highlands for three nights as part of our honeymoon.

What we loved about the hotel:
-Beautiful rooms decorated in colonial style
-An admirable "old colonial" feel maintained in the reception and dining areas
-A fantastic spa experience - you must try the "tea bath" before a treatment (novel!)
-High tea - much better than the much vaunted high tea experience at the nearby Old Smokehouse.
- The Japanese restaurant - lovely steamboat selection and beautiful desserts
In short it was probably the best option in the area for staying (as far as we could tell) but there were issues which stopped this from being the perfect honeymoon experience. These included:

- No grounds to walk in or outside areas to "lounge around in". The hotel literally spills onto the main road. This means you're obliged to look for activities outside of the hotel and, aside from your room and in the seated areas, you haven't got a place to "chill".

- Lots of kids and families - make sure you avoid Malaysia school holidays and weekends as this hotel becomes inundated with families and loses the intimate feel of a romantic getaway.

- Free wifi limited to the lounge and seated areas. A real shame it wasn't included and available in all the rooms.

- There was an issue with cleanliness in my room (a lot of dust on all the surfaces and floors). To the hotel's credit, they tackled this when I complained about it. I found the distinct lack of a turndown service disappointing.

- Service was hasty - with staff clearing your plates away when your partner was still eating.

My big tip for the stay is to limit yourself to no more than 2 nights. After this, the hotel becomes limited in it's entertainment and the surrounding area doesn't offer much to keep you there for longer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sameera3000
Leonard J, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear sameera3000,

Greetings from Cameron Highlands Resort!

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. With such a 360 degree feedback, we value the positives as well as appreciate the improvement opportunities. I am thrilled to read that we were able to deliver a relaxing and rejuvenating stay, and that you were impressed with all facets of the resort, the food served, our spa and the trails offered.

With regards to room cleanlines, our Executive Housekeeper has been made aware of this as to share with the team and pay closer attention. I have also shared your concerns on dining etiquette with the food and beverage team.

Despite the minor shortfalls, I trust you had an overall good stay and took home fond memories of Cameron Highlands and Cameron Highlands Resort. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Rions, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The staf and specially the front office manager, Mr. Allan Benjamin De Souza, pampered us with attention and little extra's. (I told them that I love Satay of lamb or goat. Immediate he send a driver to buy me satay! When my husband asked : is your jam homemade, he said yes and gave him a yar.
Also we w're delighted to sit down at breakfast and been serviced at the table.
Beautiful rooms with a really personal touch. W're married for 42 years, but there its seemed a second honeymoon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Olly070,

I would like to thank you for selecting us as your preferred accommodation during your recent visit to Cameron Highlands. I truly appreciate your precious time on providing us with your honest feedback.

I am delighted to know that you had an enjoyable hospitality experience offered by the team. Your kind words regarding Allan has been extended to him. I am sure this will encourage not only him but all of us to maintain if not better our levels of service.

It leaves us now, to look forward to welcoming you back to Cameron Highlands Resort many more times in the not too distant future where we continue to deliver the highest standard of renowned hospitality that you have now come to associate with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanah Rata
#1 of 9 in Brinchang
Hillview Inn
Hillview Inn
#7 of 12 in Tanah Rata

Been to Cameron Highlands Resort? Share your experiences!