I stayed here for 2 nights in March 2013. my first visit to Cameron Highlands was all about experiencing the history and environment of this place. obviously, being a history buff, I chose this hotel, the oldest (and very first) hotel built here. my experience was great, but tinged with sadness.
firstly, this old grandlady of the highlands has been given the uplift she deserves. the charm and character of the old days has truly been restored. if this is what you look for in stays in high-end hotels in historic places around the world, then this is definitely the hotel for you.
its library, with its gentle fireplace dancing in the evenings is just made for sinking into those leather armchairs and reading a book. the dining room takes one back to the old days. the rooms are charming, spacious and the hotel grounds, albeit small, are lush with green and quiet. of course, all this happened to me during the week... weekends can be a bustle!
the bathrooms were too small, in my opinion. back in the good old days, bathrooms were huge... this has not been recreated, probably catering for the modern traveller... well, not me!
unfortunately, there is one big down-side to this hotel. when first constructed, it was beside the main road, which had bullock-carts and the rumble of old cars and land rovers. today, it is a highway! nothing stands in between your sleep and the noise of the main road. the cool air only adds to this, coz sound travels further (and clearer) as the temp drops. the sleep is a serious problem. and the scream of motorcycles in the middle of the night is just not on.
I suppose its a trade-off. to enjoy the experience of the colonial days, one has to do without peaceful sleep. the choice is yours.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set amidst tea plantations and rolling hills, this boutique hideaway promises all the splendour, romance and nostalgia of Cameron Highlands’ grand colonial heritage.Tall French doors, timber-beamed ceilings and plantation shutters add colonial charm and a touch of nostalgia to our rooms.Enjoy a refreshing round of golf, a pink-cheeked ramble along jungle trails, or a leisurely walk through tea plantations and strawberry farms. To recover, you can have a cup of tea in the drawing room, or a tea bath at the Spa Village, or you may simply choose to spend the day curled up with a good book by the fireplace.Cameron Highlands Resort is situated on the largest hill retreat in Malaysia, surrounded by breathtaking scenery, lush greenery, rolling hills and Tudor-styled cottages. The luxurious boutique Resort features 56 beautifully-appointed rooms and suites, and fronts Cameron Highlands' 18-hole golf course. It also houses the third wellness centre of the award-winning Spa Village group, which offers exotic treatments focusing on the healing and restorative properties of tea. Located in the state of Pahang, approximately 200 kilometres north of Kuala Lumpur, Cameron Highlands is a beautiful holiday destination and the only place where you can find tea plantations and strawberries in Malaysia. At about 1,500 metres above sea level, it is the highest area on the mainland and enjoys a cool climate and fresh air, with temperatures ranging between 15° and 25° Celsius. Much of the character of the highlands remains unchanged since colonial times. It is endearingly known to some as the 'little corner of England in Asia'. The cool climate on the picturesque plateau and its surrounding hills and forest make this a popular retreat for golfing, jungle trekking and exploration of the many plantations and gardens. Cameron Highlands Resort is ideal all year round for families, honeymooners and holidaymakers out to satiate their appetites for trails, tales and tradition. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cameron Highlands Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cameron Highlands Hotel Tanah Rata
- Cameron Highlands Resort Tanah Rata