“Decent”

Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I was not expecting much when I went to Bala's. The building is massive and the grounds are beautiful. However, the rooms need an uplift as the interior are all old and well worn. There is a slight musky smell. Clearly the whole place needs to be refurbished, cleaned up and needs new bedding and carpeting. The service is fast and efficient but needs to be a bit more friendly. Breakfast was very pricey and was not value for money. The breakfast in other resorts may be more expensive but at least the food served was of better quality. We did not have a good night sleep because we could hear people walking around their rooms and talking in the middle of the night.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank coolchique

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Don’t go!!!!

Expensive!!!!

The walls, ceiling are full of fungus and moss.

The Sheets smell really bad and got blood stains.

Toilet also is full of fungus and moss.

The room is dark and scary.

I booked for two days, and up running away on the first day, careful if u pay in advance they don’t do refunds.

Cameron has many nice but Bala's Holiday Chalet is not one..

STAY AWAY…

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank NoellKailas
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Balas is a pretty building in a good location, because it's up a small track away from the busy main road. The dining room with log fire is nice and the whole old world atmosphere is a trip. The owners must be very busy and overworked, but we just really wished for some service with a smile, and a bit more flexibility on their part.
The unrenovated rooms are quite damp and the carpets are not ideal for that kind of weather. Clean, with comfortable though small beds.
If you need a taxi, ask them to call Mr Ingara - he's very good.

Room Tip: We saw a couple of newly renovated rooms (called suites or cottages) and they looked really nice. Wo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank sonford24
Reviewed January 3, 2012

while the outside looks well maintained ...
the inside is horrid.

stepping in there was this damp smell .. and the blankets had stains.
there was limited channels to watch at night. we had to keep the windows open but there were bugs that flew in because of that !

i had trouble bathinng because the water was either too hot or too cold. slight tuning will turn the water to the extremes. we left the next day.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank endlicheri
Reviewed December 8, 2011

After staying so many impersonal and almost identical cityhotels, I find Bala's Chalet very unique and special. Interior is furnished tastefully and garden is a charming mix of English style and jungle. Location is quiet and scenery beautiful.

I am happy I booked a room even I had read the critical reviews here. My room was damp (nothing new in Cameron Highlands) but comfortable enough to give me a good sleep.

I met mr Bala and while discussing (I was curious if he knows about these reviews) I understood how committed he is to his place and also aware of its state and weaknesses. He seemed to have many plans to improve the place and still remain its spirit.

I could recommend Bala's Chalet to anyone who wants to experience a unique and different place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank kas v
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I had read the review for Bala Chalet before I went there on 8-10 Nov.. It seems that the overall review is not so good but I had a very good experience at Bala. Nice scenery, special design of the rooms, I can even sat in front of my superior room when I woke up in the morning to see and listen to bird's singing! No air-con at night but I enjoyed the natural weather at Cameron highlands and the temperature just nice for me. The room is clean and I feel that I'm closer to the nature and price is reasonable too. Lastly i want give my compliments for Mr Das that provided his good service!I will definitely recommend Bala Chalet to my friends!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank CassWoo
Reviewed November 1, 2011

1) Awful service.
2) Blanket wasn't clean. Don;t think they wash it frequently.
3) Room is toooo cold at nite without heater facilities. For extra blankets, you must walk to the reception to get it. It was difficult for us, because we were placed in the rooms which were at the 2nd level - higher ground.
4) WORST part - you need to turn on the water heater for about 20mins before you can use it. and halfway (about 2-3mins) , cold water might decide to surprise you.
5) No phone facilities in the room. If you need anything, you need to go to the reception to get it.
6) Parking is an issue.
7) Food is overpriced in the restaurant
8) No wifi facilities.
9) Surrounding area wasn't that clean. not like the way you see in the pics on their website.
10) The room prices have been hiked.
11) Breakfast not included.

The TV has 4 channels - HBO + National GEO + 2 more, which I cant remember.

Suggestions:

1) Ask to view and check the room before proceeding with payment.
2) Do not eat in the restaurant. Venture out. There are a lot of restaurants in Brinchang.
3) Try to stay at places like Strawberry Park Resort or De La Fern before resorting to this place.
4) Please call and check for the current room prices as the website prices are inaccurate.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the lower level.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
#5 of 13 in Tanah Rata
Hillview Inn
Hillview Inn
#8 of 13 in Tanah Rata

Been to Planters Country Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!