“Food”
Review of Twin Pines

Twin Pines
Ranked #21 of 29 Tanah Rata B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 3, 2013

A group of 20 all ate breakfast and dinner over 2 nights. The first morning we ate some really nice warm bread (commonly known as toast) with a large range of spreads ranging from butter to no butter. At night we all order different dishes which were rapidly prepared and served with efficiency and grace of a 5 star hotel. The meals were so good we decided to all head to Mary Broons ( fast food outlet) to devour some local delicacies such as chips or chicken burgers. The 2nd morning was much the same except this time we were treated to a mug of water which tasted like tea with light sprinkles of flies and ants. That evening we were still all full from our delicious breakfast we decided to try a local restaurant which only sold banana leaf.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Josh S

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Wanted to stay at Daniel's Place but it was fully booked. Twin Pines was the cheapest alternative and I was pleased with my stay. Staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms are very basic - a single mattress on the floor in the private attic rooms sets you back 15MR, doubles are 25.
Room was clean, bathrooms fine too. It gets cold at night so try to have warm clothes with you!
Towels can be hired for 2MR, water was barely luke-warm when I showered but it was bearable.
Had no problem with noise at night, I suppose I was lucky and had a polite bunch of people as my fellow guests!
Breakfast, coffee and basic food available, but the place is located so close to the street food and restaurants that you're never short of options!
TV showing movies for those rainy nights in, and a book exchange is available.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Worth the money!If you are on a tight budget looking for just a very basic shelter,this place is highly recommended.A decent and clean room with two beds.Common bathroom with hot water provided.You have your own privacy for RM20/night room.The downside is that you do not get proper sleep if people talking very loudly outside or walking early in the morning.Overall I would say it is good and the staffs are friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 11, 2012

The smallest room I have ever slept in, but hey..It was really affordable. The building Is not so fresh, but rather ok. The yard is cosy and you get good coffee for 2 RM. They offer breakfast at a set price. Location Is in the middle of everything, near the bus station (2 mins walk) and several food places. The staff is very friendly and use to backpackers. You can get good help in asking them about travel, activities and arranging sightseeing.

Room Tip: If you only want to sleep and don't care so much for comfort, go with the single room. Really ch...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank nyfiken_78
Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

If you want a decent night sleep don't stay here. You will hear every conversation with a 5 mile radius, every vehicle passing by, every whisper of wind. Stayed in a double shared bathroom, that wasn't particularly good value, but then nowhere here is. Good points - clean, hot showers, nice garden.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank cheese_monkeyy
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Arrived in the highlands late at night during a downpour and was pointed to this place by the busdriver. It was very cheap and very near to the bus stop. The room was ok but it was sorta musty smelling. The shared bathrooms shower didn't have hot water at the time. You have to pay for a towel and WIFI. Hot water is needed in Cameron Highlands. We checked out after a night and moved to a nicer place. However, if you are on a tight budget, I would say it is OK to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pablo A
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Booked in here for three nights through their own website. When I arrived, they had no information regarding my booking, which, according to their website was the last room they had. The room I had booked was a twin en-suite, and at first they tried to put me in an attic room, which just looked squalid (brown stained mattress, no bed base, just mattress on floor). Then they offered to put me in a private single with shared bathroom for the same price as the room I'd booked! I tried to argue that it should be cheaper, but they wouldn't have it and I couldn't be bothered as I was so tired after the 10 hour coach journey, so I just took it. They had to clean the room too so I waited 10 minutes, and when I went in I realized I'd been totally ripped off. All I wanted to do was sleep though so I put it down to experience. The room smelled nice for about 10 minutes, but it soon turned to a horrid gone-off kind of smell, and there was nothing in or near the room to circulate the air, so I had to resort to spraying aftershave. The walls & door were stained brown, like mouldy, and were covered in cobwebs. There was only just enough room for the bed, me and my bags. The staff wouldn't know what customer service was if it hit them in the face, and they charge for breakfast and WIFI. The first day I ordered cornflakes...which were served in hot milk! I wasn't particularly surprised though. The only redeeming features this place has is that the showers are hot, and it has a nice garden, which is why I give it one star. In the bathrooms some of the taps don't work, seals are gone on the toilets so when you flush it sprays on your feet, and god help you if you have to go upstairs, as the carpet is a total trip hazard. Wait for good reviews before you go anywhere near this place. There are plenty of other options in Cameron Highlands. The only reason I booked this is it was in the lonely planet, but it has clearly gone down hill since their review! Worst place I've ever stayed.

Room Tip: Look around on the net for an alternative. It'll be worth the bit extra.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo