“My favorite Indian restaurant in Tanah Rata”
Review of Kumar's

Kumar's
Ranked #12 of 44 Restaurants in Tanah Rata
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Portland, Oregon
“My favorite Indian restaurant in Tanah Rata”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have been in Tanah Rata for about a week now and I have eaten at every Indian restaurant in town at least twice. I have eaten at Kumar's 9 times now (I just had dinner there), and it is definitely my favorite.

The staff crack me up. They are always smiling and joking. Sometimes the service is spotty, but if you wave one of them down they will quickly make up for it. They get distracted trying to bring in more customers walking by and sometimes forget about the customers already seated! However, I find it part of the quirky charm of this place.

The food has been consistently good. I am vegetarian, so I haven't tried any of the meat dishes, but the veggie dishes are consistently tasty. Portions are always generous, and the prices are very reasonable (I have never payed more than 7 RM, and have often left very full).

It is also a good spot to meet new friends. The place is consistently busy with other travelers, and seating is limited, so I have often been seated next to another solo person and sparked up a conversation.

• Visited April 2013

• Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Zurich, Switzerland
“Good food, good entertainment”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Ate there 2 times, both times food was fresh and tasty. Very reasonable prices. Entertaining staff, attentive and always a smile on their faces. Good lassis. Only suggestion: less sugar in the naan, was a bit too sweet for us.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank a-million-miles-com
Montpellier, France
“Goog indian restaurant”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Good indian food, fresh and tasty. Nice friendly staff.
Easy to find, on the main street of Tanah Rata city center.

Visited February 2013
Helsinki
“Dirt cheap, delicious.”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I don't know what went wrong with the previous reviewers, but we ate at Kumar's almost every day (yes, it was that good and cheap) and always got delicious food and friendly service at rock bottom prices. We also tried the Indian restaurant next door, but it just wasn't as good. Apparently the place can be hit and miss, but for us it always hit home! Kudos Kumar! Also, they serve beer, which not many of the restaurants do. Expensive beer or course, but beer nonetheless. The place is not for romance or special occasions, obviously, but for good food it's perfect.

• Visited February 2013
“Naan is perfet else is just average”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have been eating there like 5 times. Every time the naan bread was perfect but the rest of the dishes from disaster (claypot rice with chicken ) to average (butter chicken, or chicken korma). The place is not that clean but the staff is quite nice and if you think that something is wrong with your order you can tell them to replace it. You can sit either inside the smelly room or outside on the street.

• Visited January 2013