Really social place. I usually never stay in Lonely Planet recommended places, but it turned out to be ok. A great bar with decent drink prices (7.50RM for 500ml Changs), and even though they have signs everywhere saying you can't bring alcohol in from outside, people had bottles of vodka and mixers on the tables in full view, so the staff are really chill in that regard.
Note: If you stay there a while the staff will warm up to you, but they can seem a little abrupt at first!
Dorms are pretty cheap, but since the extra popularity of LP they've increased from 9RM to 12RM - still not too much of a budget buster, and I heard that you can rent a tent for 5RM - although it gets really cold at night so make sure you have a good sleeping bag!
If you tend to get cold, ask the staff for an extra blanket, they'll give it to you for free. I carry a sleeping bag and I was nice and warm - most other people said they were cold though!
They try and push thier tours and bus transfers - but all the places do that I think, and to be fair they're usually reasonably priced. If you have the time I would recommend doing the sightseeing yourself though - it's super easy (hitch hiking is a breeze in Malaysia, and the bus is really cheap!), but beware of taxis - I haven't met one taxi driver yet that uses a meter (or that uses seatbelts for that matter), and they will try to rip you off as much as they can - but it's still really cheap when compared to Australia.
So in conclusion:
Get for meeting people, making new friends, getting travel tips, getting drunk, but not so good if you want peace and quiet, or if you want to experience a more local feel. Brilliant location!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Daniel's Lodge" or currently also known as Kang Travellers Lodge, is one of the pioneer for budget and backpackers accommodation establishment here in Cameron Highlands since 1995. Under the new management, the lodge now offers 16 rooms and 2 section of dormitory accommodation. Daniel's Lodge is the perfect choice for the budget traveller. Looking for budget hotel in Cameron Highlands? Look no more as this is a highly recommended accommodation to stay by Lonely Planet. "This is a popular laid-back party hostel in scruffy area just off the main road, there's a TV room, late bar, pool table and garden and some saggy sofas out the front." We are sure you would like the warmth and personal touch of the place. Unlike the star-rated hotels in Cameron Highlands, we may not be posh-posh, but we do provide the basic necessity of room and board. Perfect for the budget travelers as well as the many backpackers who want to see the world on a shoestring budget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity and HostelWorld so you can book your Kang Travellers Lodge (Daniel's Lodge) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kang Travellers Lodge (Daniel`s Lodge) Hotel Tanah Rata
- Kang Travellers Lodge (Daniel's Lodge) Cameron Highlands/Tanah Rata