“helpful staff, and great jungle bar” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kang Travellers Lodge (Daniel's Lodge)

Kang Travellers Lodge (Daniel's Lodge)
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Tanah Rata
Hong Kong, China
“helpful staff, and great jungle bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

the room was tidy and clean, nothing more nothing less.

staff were helpul and talkative, the day-tour (to rainforest, stawberry farm, boh tea farm...)was really unforgettable

highly recommend you to visit jungle bar, it's definately a good place, u will love it

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank k_lcy

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

My friend and I tried to stay here yesterday. He is Spanish and I'm British, of West Indian and Asian origin.

My friend was talking to the lady at reception about whether they had any rooms available, then I walked up to reception because we were going to have a look at the room. As soon as she saw me, she stopped being friendly and demanded what country I'm from. I was a bit surprised, and replied 'England.' She said 'Show me your passport' and I asked why. Eventually she explained that they don't rent to certain nationalities, but when I asked which nationalities, she said 'I can't tell you that.' I refused to show my passport and she said she wouldn't be able to rent any rooms to us, so we left.

I heard today that this had happened to another person today, and the receptionist asked if they were Muslim, then demanded to see their passport.

Obviously, I don't have a problem showing my passport as part of the check-in procedure, and I would have given it to them if we were checking in, but the rude manner of their staff, and the way they treated me differently to my friend was unacceptable.

I don't normally write reviews, but I thought people should know about this, particularly as it was recommended to me by other friends that have stayed there, and also as it doesn't appear to be an isolated incident.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank OneYearAdventure

Travelers are raving about these Tanah Rata hotels

Male
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

i have stay in the kang travellers hotel for 1 week time ,it was very nice place ,the room and the bathroom is enough big ,the price is resonable for 2 person is RM70.00 for the hot shower , free wifi and the satelite tv in room ,this is the budget hotel what we want ,they have a good service with the tour in cameron highlands and the transport to penang ,kuala lumpur ,taman negara and the perhentian islands with the resonable price ,when we have stay here ,we will no need to worried about our trip and the next destination we have go ,the staff have give us the full information what we want ,i was very happy have stay they place ,and will come back soon .

Room Tip: helpfull staff and great room
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank ruby_henderson
George Town, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

Arrived on time for a pre-booked, confirmed, pre-paid 3 night stay. On arrival rude staff informed that no room was available because other guests hadn't checked out. Couldn't even guarantee a room for the next night. Offered a loft storage room(no window, no ventilation, no bed, mattress on floor, 1.5m ceiling height) as alternative which I refused. It was a weekend and school holidays, town was full. Staff offered no help in finding a room elsewhere. They simply overbooked, despite reconfirmation on my part. Kang provided immediate return van to Penang free of charge. Hostel impression: dirty, run-down, grotty, snotty staff, no apologies. Disgusting. Avoid at all cost.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank thabatseka
Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

We stayed one night in Kang's hotel, room on 1st floor. We had a look at the room before accepting staying in it but unfortunately didn't notice that bed sheets were dirty and were not changed (hairs in bed!!). Hopefully, no bed bugs. We slept in our sleeping bags to avoid any contact with bed. Bathroom attached was not very clean but ok.
Hotel is facing main street = very noisy due to car races done by locals at night.
Just don't stay there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MagmanSwitzerland
Tokyo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

I booked into Daniel's Lodge over the Chinese new year and discovered I had been moved to Kang's Hotel on the main road.
The hotel was clean with shared bathrooms and squat toilets.
40 ringgits for a double.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KuriTokyo
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

For RM80-100/night, we couldn't ask for more! the lodge is great for backpackers! *sorry, i forgot the exact price as my friends and I stayed there few months ago.LOL*

Me and my friends (total 4 persons) chose to stay at this lodge based on the reviews that we read in this website (TripAdvisor).

At first, we were a bit skeptical about the cleanliness as some people reviewed about the bed bug. In fact, the room was very clean and neat!
We booked single room with attached bathroom; consisting of one queen sized bed and one bunk bed. Daniel's lodge didn't provide any bathroom amenities but towels (extra towels were provided for free).

Other facilities: free wireless Internet, DVDs

The location is very strategic as restaurants, convenience store, banks are within walking distance. The staffs are very friendly and helpful.

In addition, we loved the fact that we got the opportunity to meet and hang out with fellow travellers/backpackers from other countries, such as Germany, Korea, England, Australia, and so on.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
#1 of 9 in Brinchang
The Mentigi
The Mentigi
#8 of 12 in Tanah Rata

Been to Kang Travellers Lodge (Daniel's Lodge)? Share your experiences!