“Real name is 'Ye Olde Smokehouse'.”

Smokehouse Hotel Cameron Highlands
Ranked #5 of 28 Tanah Rata B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I booked this accommodation knowing that it had some English ambience. Just how much, I wasn't prepared for - low ceilings, Tudor windows, dark wooden beams, and lots of big comfy chairs. It did feel odd at first, but after a while I began to appreciate it all. The windows look out onto a beautiful and lush garden. The bedding was comfortable and clean, as was our bathroom (which had a separate shower and a bath). Furniture is old fashioned but it suits the old English theme. Initially, we had a problem with accessing the Internet, but after a chat with the barman (who is the IT guy, I think) a simple 'reset' put it right.
We ate at the restaurant and the food was good and tasty. Now I can't recall what I ordered, but I do remember that I cleaned my plate. While waiting for our food to be prepared, we waited in the relaxed 'English style' bar with a drink. You are escorted to your table when the food is ready. What a good idea!
I had heard from fellow travelers in Penang that all hotels in the Cameron Highlands were along the road which was busy and noisy. The Smokehouse is off the road a little and we slept soundly. Actually, even during the day, I couldn't hear the road noise.
The only possible drawback about its position is that the Smokehouse is a long walk away from the town of Tanah Rata. If you aren't fit, you need to use taxis to take you in and out of the town. This wasn't a problem for us as, compared to back home in Australia, taxis in Malaysia are amazingly cheap.
Also, as we were leaving too early to have our inclusive breakfast on our final morning (7am), a picnic of sandwiches, fruit, shortbread biscuits and water bottles was left at reception for us. It was much appreciated!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Smokehouse Hotel Cameron Highlands

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Yes the Shower is impossible to control, Yes the Furniture is tired. Yes the windows don't open and close properly. Yes the traffic can wake you up, with uninsulated windows. Yes the food and drink is a bit expensive.... Welcome to a typical English Country Hotel. In Malaysia. Surreal.
We loved it. We lived the dream... (The family are Expat Brits) Clotted Cream Scones, for afternoon tea. Beef and Yorkshire Pudding for dinner. Full English breakfast in the morning.(The breakfast was not quite as anticipated.. Slow service and limited quantity)
Cool air in the Cameron Highlands. Stroll out to the smells of an English Country Garden. What more could an old Expat possible want. (Probably a pint of bitter)
But probably one night is enough. Cameron Highlands has little to offer these days other than the fresh air. It is suffering from incontrolled development both by farmers and prioperty developers. We arrived eager to seek out Olde England and left the highlands next morning sated.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Excellent service and greeted by staff with very warm welcome. Insisted us to have coffee while waiting to check in. The cold weather simply good with coffee. What a good start. Overall clean with great service around. Have a glass of beer by the fire place at the lounge. Morning breakfast was properly served with their famous strawberry homemade jam. Looking forward the next trip. Simply great place for relax.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The disparate reviews on Trip Advisor meant we weren't sure what to expect. It turns out we were pleasantly surprised. Turn the corner into the driveway and you're greeted by the beautifully planted garden (think Botanical Gardens) with plenty of nooks to enjoy a pot of tea and those famous scones. We did just that, enjoying tea, savouring the gardens and the weather; having sparrows for company. Absolutely magical. The antithesis of concrete sprawl, the modest hotel building is mostly original and a part of its surroundings, like something straight out of Narnia. Furnishings look like they have been collected over time, with many unique pieces and there's even a real fireplace. It doesn't take much effort to pretend you're somewhere else other than tropical Malaysia.

Our suite was spacious, clean and comfortable, with two single poster beds, a king sized bed in an adjoining room and a shared bath -- ample for a family with two kids. We tried the lamb for dinner and it was excellent. Service was attentive and friendly. We'll be back...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank K S L
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Doesn't matter with the price. Whether it cost a lot for us but it's really give three of us (me,hubby & daughter) a wonderful moment in here. Last minute weekend holiday is worth it!!! I love my executive suite Royal Pahang. We can't complaint more because nothing to complaint about. The room, the hotel, the service, the staff, the view is just to good. Can't wait to come here again. =)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I wanted to stay here because I have clear memories of a stay here with my family when I was 12 years old. I had read the mixed reviews and I actually recall my parents commenting the dampness back then.

I enjoyed the hotel very much. I decided to go all out for a suite and it was wonderful. One entire wall was all windows and during the day I could open all of them to let the breeze in. There were wonderful views of the golf course and beyond. The charming interior decor matched the building. The living room set was the most comfortable place to use my laptop. The bathroom was modernized.

I had to try the restaurant and I got satisfying English cuisine. I had actually never had a beef Wellington before. Breakfast is in a bright morning room. The owners were very friendly and I got to know one of them.

The best feature of the hotel is the high tea in the garden. The gardens are fantastic with magnificent flowers everywhere. It was some of the most satisfying time I've spent for drinks.

The only drawback is the location, between Brinchang and Tana Ratah. You need to pay RM 10 to go anywhere, except for a leisurely 20 min. hike in the jungle to Tana Ratah.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2013

A lovely little hotel, with lots of home comforts - don't expect excellent food, but then I don't think you can anywhere in Tanah rata or brinchang - deluxe rooms were adequate, reasonably clean (if you don't look under the bed) my shower was a sitting in the bath affair and ok once I realised you had to turn heater on. Activities : Go to time tunnel, BOH tea tour and mossy forest we went with Ecocameron and found Spencer our guy v knowledgeable and a good tour guide

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
#5 of 13 in Tanah Rata
Cameron Highlands Resort
Cameron Highlands Resort
#1 of 13 in Tanah Rata

Been to Smokehouse Hotel Cameron Highlands? Share your experiences!