“We had a pleasant stay at Smokehouse Hotel”

Smokehouse Hotel Cameron Highlands
Ranked #5 of 27 Tanah Rata B&B and Inns
Brunei
“We had a pleasant stay at Smokehouse Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

The Smokehouse hotel is just the right place to sit back and enjoy it's relaxing ambiance, fabulous gardens.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kuala Lumpur
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

1.no greetings or smile from hotel staff
2. No welcome drink
3. We had some issues with reservation and were treated very rudely, they never showed any courtesy or offer any assistance to help resolve the issue which is within their jurisdiction.Only after much argument and our expression of displeasure.. They finally agreed reluctantly
4. Room was so small and congested with furniture
5. Room smells of mould and windows can't be opened unless you want mosquitoes to sleep with you
6. Sofa and carpets are old tired and smelly
7. No warm water for shower.. Its either hot scalding water or ice cold water which comes at low and high pressure.. Really terrible
8. Lizard poops scattered on balcony table and staircase
9. Slow wifi which disconnects easily
10. No thank you from any of the staff upon departure
11. Overall this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed and with the kind of money we paid for, it's really not worth a single cent

6 Thank Cuti2_Malaysia

Travelers are raving about these Tanah Rata hotels

Kuala Lumpur
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

After a long tiring drive you would expect some kind greetings from the receptionist but no no... Upon seeing I have small kids with us her face turned solemn n arrogant... And quickly denied us the room unless we upgrade...no other options were given to us... Either we upgrade or we can leave without any compensation since the room has been paid for 2 nights....we then asked for the manager but were refused contact saying that the mgr was on leave.. We insisted the manager be called thru phone... The manager was as hopeless as the receptionist and could not even make a small decision to consider our situation... We always book rooms at other fancier hotels and not a single of those multinational hotels make such a big fuss over us sharing the room with small kids under 5yo... But somehow the smokehouse hotel has a very strict policy that for them no consideration should be given to special cases.... They treat us like mobsters as if there were 15 of us checking into their small congested mould infested room... We had to spend almost half an hour arguing with both of them who seem to not use their brains and only looking at ripping us off further and forces us to pay extra for somethg we dont need... When asked for the reason why and none of them cud answer.. I asked if it's the breakfast we dont plan to hv them anyway so what is the fuss al about... They insist its not abt the breakfast its just company policy... Again i was puzzled and furious on how idiotic their response was...
After the unwelcome greeting we had we finally get to check into our room... And were further devastated... The room smells of mould and leaving the windows open was not an option since mosquitoes are abundant in that area... The condition of the furniture was also pathetic... Old dirty carpets and smelly sofa.... And getting a shower was a nightmare due to inconsistent water pressure... One second the water was too hot it could scald our skin and the next second the water turned cold as ice... We actually had to ask for a bucket to bathe.!!
We expected a relaxing vacation but what we get was a stressful one due to the terrible service and pathetic condition of the room for a hefty price ... Never again will we be even glancing back to this hotel or recommend anyone to stay here... And we bet even after many bad reviews they would not evrn care what more strive to improve.. Many has complaint abt the room but after yrs nothing has been done to rectify them... I feel sorry for those victims including myself who has fell prey to these rip offs!

• Stayed June 2012
6 Thank Cuti2_Malaysia
George Town, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

A delightful Cameron Highland institution with a warm and cosy English cottage feel and a charming garden surround.

Suites are charming albeit a bit dusty with quaint English decor complete with trinkets. Plumbing, don't expect 21st century facilities but its adequate.

Restaurant is great and a very cosy bar with real fireplace. Devonshire cream tea with scones and homemade jams are truly delightful.

Overall a nice experience with friendly staff

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

We would have never thought of staying at the Smokehouse if not for the Groupon
offer. We got Main wing suites for 390 per night so we went there 2 weeks ago
just out of curiosity and I booked a room as an anniversary present for my
parents. We arrived late (around 7) and informed that our rooms were ready. I
was surprised that we were brought to the family suite as the voucher was only
for main wing suite. ( I did email them earlier AND called to enquire if they
can provide extra bedding for my sons but since they couldn't accommodate that,
I decided to distribute my sons in the 3 rooms that we booked and did not hear
anything from them anymore). However, they insisted that that was the room that
was booked for me and it made me wonder if they were giving us an upgrade. When
I asked the counter if it was an upgrade, he kept on saying that well, that was
the room booked for us in the computer. As I was covered in my son's vomit
courtesy of the winding route from Tapah, I decided not to probe further as I
needed to freshen up.

The Smokehouse itself is like a bed and breakfast in UK and it reminded me of a
B&B I stayed in Austria as well. It has the old house rustic charm and feels
like home. It is definitely a unique place for people looking for something
different than the usual hotel room. Yes, it's damp but that's how the old B&Bs
are in the UK as well! The staffs were nice enough and always smiling though I
did not appreciate them talking in Tamil among themselves in front of me as I
could not understand Tamil. The garden is beautiful and well kept. The rooms
(Ambleside, Warwick and Glenmore) were clean. The rooms were very cold at night
and the hot water/shower did have it's own timing so you might end up having a
very cold shower with intermittent burning hot water if you decide to bathe very early in the morning.The rooms are very different (in decoration, in size) even though you are paying the same price so do have a look at all available rooms if you have the luxury to do so.

I would recommend the Smokehouse for people looking for something different and
a place to just relax and stroll in the garden. You however need to be fit to
stay there as Ambleside is the only room at the ground floor. My 82 year old
grandma who is older than the house had to climb up 3 flights of stairs to the
family room! (and she made it !- I'm so proud of her). The food is also NOT
HALAL so Muslims going there has to think about using the cutlery to eat even if
you do not order pork. As for my family, we decided not to eat there and did not
eat the complimentary breakfast as well.

Back to the "upgrade", sure enough , when we were checking out, we were told to
pay a surcharge of RM 150. Now I am not a stingy person and would have gladly
paid the money as we all had a good rest at the hotel the night before but I am
a bit disgruntled as I was not informed earlier that there would be a surcharge!
It would be nice of them if they could have told us earlier that we had to pay a
surcharge since I did call and emailed them to ask before. That was not a nice
thing to do. If not for that incident, we had a good time there and even though
we will not be back as the stairs climbing and the non halal food makes it not
suitable for my family and my family's need but it is still a nice unique place
to visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank ia_ismail
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

Passed by the 'Ye Olde Smokehouse' by chance and after a high tea were very happy with the authentic old and stylish feel that we decided spontaneously to change our hotel.
The staff accomodated us even though they were almost fully booked.
Particularly we enjoyed the several choices of rooms to sit before dinner: bar with a real wooden fire, piano room, library room etc. -

Their motto of the hotel: 'Come us a guest and leave as a friend'
has been true for us and if we have a chance we will certainly come back to this lovely hidden gem.

Room Tip: Have a look if you can adjust the shower easily to your desired temperature. 'The Library' r...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

Hubby and I just returned from a 3D2N stay and we are already missing the Ye Olde Smokehouse! The place is quiet, clean and has character. It reminded us so much of Lake District in Cumbria. We arrived early and our room was not ready but we were given an alternative room so we could freshen up before our tour of the highlands with Titiwangsa Tours. Ms Ammu was friendly and gave us a wonderful room that overlooks the golfcourse. The hotel is well kept-considering it is 75 years old! The gardens are amazing with blooming colored flowers. I could sit in the garden the whole day and enjoy the breeze and the chirping of the birds! Breakfast was simple, but hotel is just a five minutes walk to Cameron Highlands Resort where one must try the Gombei Japanese restaurant. Thanks to Ammu, Laura and Herwin for making our stay a memorable one. We will be back for sure! Mr & Mrs Bawany

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanah Rata
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,319 reviews
Strawberry Park Resort
Strawberry Park Resort
#2 of 12 in Tanah Rata

Been to Smokehouse Hotel Cameron Highlands? Share your experiences!